(Topic ID: 161077)

How important are replays to you?

By Law

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4c15e8170fc20d53a17c25229208dc9aa0e98eb2_(resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

First time people hear a knocker when they are over they think they broke my game. I play along and freak out. Its kinda fun, but once i tell them what it is they get excited and try to hit the replay

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Replays and Match are only important to pinheads. The general public don't know they exist and don't understand them, so it's to the op's advantage to turn both off, because pinheads are only like 10% of the customer base.

Agree that general public doesn't know they exist ... until they get one. Thus, I disagree that it is to the op's advantage to turn them off.

I believe it is to the op's advantage to have them on. I am living proof that winning free games (via match, winning a replay, or being awarded a special) incentivized me to play more and put more money in. Additionally, if it weren't for those free games I'm confident my interest in improving my skills and learning the games would not have been piqued and I wouldn't have become a pinhead.

Also, the few times I've played on location and the award was an extra ball instead of a credit I felt seriously cheated.

If they were turned off completely I'd visit another place to play (provided one were around). I even do this around here b/c one operator sets the games up for only 1 extra ball. If I've played well enough to earn it I sure as hell want that extra ball b/c by that point I'm likely playing for progression in the game not just a distraction.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

First time people hear a knocker when they are over they think they broke my game.

This is why I said what I said - maybe one in a hundred people figure out what that loud knock is and realize it's a free game without having to have it explained to them.

So, with those odds, might as well earn a few more dollars a week.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Replays and Match are only important to pinheads. The general public don't know they exist and don't understand them, so it's to the op's advantage to turn both off, because pinheads are only like 10% of the customer base.

None of that makes any sense. All the non-pinheads I've witnessed get really excited when that knocker goes off and look for the reason why it happened, and as such replay and match become fairly self explanatory after it happens once. Besides, how does disabling these features for non-pinheads (who are, ironically, playing pinball) make anything better? This is the age of redemption, and redemption means winning stuff, and that makes it even more attractive to non-pinheads.

#55 7 years ago

Regular players are the big earners. Depends on the location I guess. If you set the replay score high enough for regular players to struggle to earn it that is the sweet spot. All the posts in this thread prove that pinheads love chasing the replay credits and if they're disabled then they're less interested in a game because they have nothing tangible to chase for (because only the top 0.5% can gun for the GC score).

I don't understand an op complaining that replays are costing them money. You have full control over the settings. Make them harder to reach! Turning them off is a turnoff to your best customers.

#56 7 years ago

If I find a game on location that has replays and matches disabled, I'll make sure that location players are aware of the crime by mentioning the fact here on Pinside Pin Map, and also on other pinball databases too. Then they can avoid these games in future too.

Switching off replays and matches is a crime against location pinball!

#57 7 years ago

At a dollar a game I like it when I earn a free one now and again. There was a chucked cheese that had a game on at 25 cents but no EB, match or replay. Kinda took the fun out of it.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

There was a chucked cheese that had a game on at 25 cents but no EB, match or replay. Kinda took the fun out of it.

But these for the grand champion scores made it all worthwhile.

4c15e8170fc20d53a17c25229208dc9aa0e98eb2_(resized).jpg4c15e8170fc20d53a17c25229208dc9aa0e98eb2_(resized).jpg

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So when does somebody from the general public that is dropping money in these machines graduate to pinhead status? Some might actually read the instruction cards on the apron.

Most instruction card sets do have the varied sets without these features. I agree though, match and replays for the win!

#60 7 years ago

Sometimes I wonder where these questions come from besides the gawd awful noise the fake Stern knocker of late makes. What an epicness of fail in the pinball world that has been.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

the gawd awful noise the fake Stern knocker of late makes. What an epicness of fail in the pinball world that has been.

You're not wrong there! I cannot imagine how anyone thought it was a good solution or how it has persisted for so long. There is no redeeming value in it nor is there a shred of valid argument for this screech.

The first time I heard it I thought the game was broken. When I learned it was Stern's knocker sound effect my heart sank and my respect for Stern dropped. If anything, this thread shows that pinheads place huge value on the knocker tradition so why f**k with it to save a few bucks?

The bottom line: earning a replay on a Stern is less of a 'fist pump' moment and more of a 'ouch, my ears' moment. Earning one on a B/W is the definition of satisfaction.

#62 7 years ago

Glad to hear so much commiseration over the Stern replay squawk. Comically bad! It's like a punishment for excellence.

That said, I will drop coin after coin on location in pursuit of a "free game." It's a great psychological trick that I fully support. I want on location games to stick around!

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

The bottom line: earning a replay on a Stern is less of a 'fist pump' moment and more of a 'ouch, my ears' moment. Earning one on a B/W is the definition of satisfaction.

I think you nailed it there.

People are being trained to cringe upon the thought of reaching the replay threshold, so why not just turn it off.

1 month later
    #64 7 years ago

I don't think I read the question right, but match and replay I think is very important, it really adds to the experience if you have a chance to win a free game, I personally think it is stupid if an operator was to disable that

#65 7 years ago

I enjoy the replays and match for free games even though they can lower the match percentage. It's part of the game for me when finding and playing games in the wild which may not be taken care of 100% which is what upsets me the most like others.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-important-are-replays-to-you/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.