(Topic ID: 161077)

How important are replays to you?

By Law

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4c15e8170fc20d53a17c25229208dc9aa0e98eb2_(resized).jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Are replays an integral part of the location pinball experience? It's obviously part of the game going way back to bagatelle, but leaving the legacy aside what does it add to the game nowadays?

I can't think of any other coin operated games that award a free game or equivalent for doing well besides slot machines. At face value a replay makes very little sense for operators, but does having that target encourage more coin drop? Every time I walk up to a machine the replay is the first thing I check.

#2 7 years ago

When I was a kid putting quarters into EMs, they meant everything. Now, not as much.

An interesting aside: We had a Strato-Flight in a little game room at my apartment complex when I was probably 11 or 12. At some point, we made the realization that there was a "bug" in it such that, if the first player score began with any two digits that were x and x-1 (21, 32, 43 etc) when the start game button was pressed, the machine would award a replay as the reels turned past 98 (98,000 was the highest replay score). So, at first, if we were having a bad game, we'd just tilt it when we got to 21,000. Later, we'd just power it off and back on, and finally, we realized that we could just hit the button in mid-game and it'd work. Obviously, 10,000 wouldn't work because the thousands digit didn't turn in that case.

Many replays on that machine, although, of course, each of those was from an aborted game.

But I digress. Back on topic.

Brad

#3 7 years ago

It doesn't increase coin drop, but it is part of the entire experience. Earning them is always fun, and usually indicates you are having a good game. There is still a thrill in knockers.

#4 7 years ago

Curious what others say.

To me, the replay is the #1 thing I check when stepping up to a location game and what I am shooting for.

That said, as an operator it does not work really well for us (but I feel it is necessary and factored in to the cost of operating). Our locations are largely novice players/ casual folks just having some fun with pinball. This means that the handful of hardcore pinheads can come in every so often and rack up a bunch of free games since the replay auto adjusts over time. All is good but I will admit I wish they would burn off free credits before they leave. It is tough enough to maintain pins on location that it stings a lilttle when you walk in and see every single game has 2-4 credits left on it. I have tought about changing to a fixed replay that does not auto % down but I really like the idea of auto% when someone is sessioning on a game.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There is still a thrill in knockers.

I enjoy knockers of all shapes and sizes!!!

#6 7 years ago

I like the knocking sound that comes with it. It lets nearby players unmistakeably know that I'm doing well
    And it sometimes scares the hell out people around who give you a "WTF just happened/You broke the machine!" kind of look - which is the icing on the cake. ^^

#7 7 years ago

As an aside- I was in NYC last week and hit up Sunshine Laundry. Great place even if they don't open the back room up until late afternoon.

They had score-based replays disabled on all their games and set to award extra balls instead - something I'd only ever seen on Pinball Arcade and home games. Still managed a couple high score list replays but I wasn't a fan. How common is that on location?

#8 7 years ago

I like the extra ball idea, but I think it makes people see the high score and just think there is no way to ever get it, my friends didn't like it when I did it

#9 7 years ago

on my machines, i keep specials turned on even though the games are on free play, just because i like the knocker sound.

on location, winning a free game isn't a big deal to me ... in fact, sometimes it's even a minor annoyance, since I am often looking forward to moving on to a different game after I have a really good one on a particular machine. I'd rather win a free game after a CRAPPY score than a great one.

#10 7 years ago

Stern's replay squeak is a pitiful disgrace, by the way.

#11 7 years ago

If I was operating, I'd turn replays off. Normal people don't even realize it's a thing, and why lose money to pinheads who are going to play regardless?

Same goes for Match.

#12 7 years ago

Not to me. I don't care much if I win free games, I can pay for the games. I really care that all the bits and pieces work. I'll walk away from a machine that has weak flippers, target banks that don't reset, etc.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Stern's replay squeak is a pitiful disgrace, by the way.

we call it the "queef"

since it is not really a knock sound...

onomonopia and all.

#14 7 years ago

As someone who generally plays games on location pretty casually, the replay and knocked noise is king. I can see why some ops would want to disable it, but knowing that I couldn't win a free game, I probably wouldn't play the game more than once.

Knowing that I could win a free game incentivizes me to play more. It's something to look forward to. Same with match. I'll usually burn off the replay(s) by giving them to someone else, like my girlfriend or sister--who wouldn't normally want to play at all, but might be tempted to drop another 50¢ in the game after they're finished playing the free one.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

but knowing that I couldn't win a free game, I probably wouldn't play the game more than once.

How would you even know?

I guarantee you that you'd play again even if you knew. Pinball people can't help themselves!

#16 7 years ago

I love the auto % replays, I think that is fair. If i pop a credit and its even harder to the next time I aim for that new score, it pushes me to play better to try and earn it. I dont care if I dont get it but its a fun mini goal.

When replays are set way to high and not auto % it kind of irritates me. I don't necessarily drop less coin in a place, but it just seems lame.

I know for newbies it is a great feeling for them to earn a replay. A sense of accomplishment and builds confidence for them.

#17 7 years ago

There's something psychological about replays. If a location does not have replays, I don't go back. I don't know why, it's just the way I am. Winning a replay is...winning! No matter how low the score threshold is, you won (I'm that competitive). To the operator - sorry again. If I have a great game, I'm usually pretty drained/tired of that game and am moving on to the next machine. That leaves credits for the next person. I think of it as "paying it forward". Maybe those couple of credits will hook someone new.

#18 7 years ago

Replays are a big reason I play on location; it's fun to shoot for the high score (maybe #4 if I'm lucky), but I feel like I accomplish something if I hit the replay score.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I think of it as "paying it forward".

I used to think like that.

I now think of it as leaving behind money that the OP will not get and more play = more maintainence = less chance of them bringing in more new games or keeping pinball alive on route.

When I am at locations playing and earn free credits I burn them all up before I leave. After having games on route for a few years now and seeing first hand how little coin comes in and how much effort it takes, I would prefer to support the OP that maintains good machines rather than pay it forward for someone else to get free games. If I see kids or someone else that I may be able to show them what pinball is about then I give them the credits but I never just leave randomw credits on for the next pinballers to come in and play for free all day.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

To me, the replay is the #1 thing I check when stepping up to a location game and what I am shooting for.

I agree. On location, I usually check GC score and the replay. The replay is usually attainable, the GC not so much

Home pins I change replay to extra ball or points.

#21 7 years ago

Knockers are part of pinball, it is always great to hear that sound. It means you have accomplished something

That said, I usually disable the match number, boring animations are boring

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

How would you even know?
    I guarantee you that you'd play again even if you knew. Pinball people can't help themselves!

Extremely important to me. I always check for it. A replay value needs to be there, but it really doesn't even need to be all that achievable honestly, it just needs to be there. In fact, a super high out of reach replay value will often get me to play more out of frustration of trying to reach it. I don't continue to play games that don't have some replay value set. It's a mental thing for me. When I play, I have goals in mind and the first goal is to hit the replay value, whatever it may be. If replays are turned off, I'll move on to something else. Same thing with the high score board for initials. When that is turned off, I have little interest in playing.

On a similar note, I do not like EB's (or points) instead of replays on location or in a home environment. I want to gauge how I am doing against a normal 3 ball game with earned EBs. I don't want pity EBs that are set point totals. Just give me the game on factory settings like how it was designed to be played and I am all good.

#23 7 years ago

for me they are an indictor on how well your doing...
    especially when playing a game your not familiar with.

#24 7 years ago

I agree also, lots of fun on location that makes you want to keep playing.

It's funny, in the wedgehead community even though they're all mostly in homes now they're so based around getting SPECIALs as their main focus of play and advancement that I'm pretty sure nobody really even cares half as much about the score (Except the AAB guys, of course), and more about getting a knock for a credit you'd have for free anyways. It's kind of funny, and admittedly really fun and satisfying.

#25 7 years ago

I grew up in the era of real arcades and never had much money, so winning a free game meant everything. Grand champ scores were the best and resulted in that awesome Pop Pop Pop. Everyone in the room instantly knew what you had just accomplished and would come over to check it out. It was pretty good feeling. So good that decades later I set all my games to reward a credit. As far as games on route - I always check, first is the coin slot (forever that 11 yr old), then what it takes for a free game and then gc. Matchplay...I keep that on too. Love the knocker. Stern's dolphin fart...not so much.

#26 7 years ago

is there any way to mod a new stern to have a knocker? or would it be impossible if all the code for it is on the board and doesnt signal any coil or anything physical to hack into it. would be a cool mod for sure.

#27 7 years ago

when playing on location free games are the goal.yes the ability to earn them is important

#28 7 years ago

I wouldn't drop a coin in any pinball machine without the chance of winning. Pointless venture there.

#29 7 years ago

It's a must to have them on. Part of the overall experience. I do not think of leaving credits as bad. Think of it this way, you have to run and the next player uses them. They then get the bug and return putting more money into the games themselves. The first one is always free, but in a *good addiction* sense!

#30 7 years ago

The only exception is if it is an add a ball game.

#31 7 years ago

How do people feel about the "Match"? I accidentally had it turned off for my Twilight Zone on location. It was 4 or 5 months before any of my regulars noticed or said anything.

#32 7 years ago

In home use, I keep the knock, match, etc. I live for the knock. Helps also when "training" visitors and noobs. It helps them to understand in case they encounter pinball in the wild. Whether you set for extra ball or "game" is less important. As long as there's an award.

#33 7 years ago

Replays are everything. In pay for play world and at home. That new Stern screech is plain awful.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

How would you even know?

I suppose it'd be more of a hypothetical situation. However, I do always give a look at the various high scores and replay values to know if I could possibly rack in a free game for two. If I know I can't possibly win a free game, I probably won't spend as much time seriously playing the game.

I'll always try to play a game or two, regardless--if nothing else than to support the operators in the business. (Unless, of course, the game was painfully poorly maintained.)

#35 7 years ago

I love replays! Yet another reason why I prefer pinball over other arcade games. When I start playing a game on location, I obviously target the lowest high score as my goal, but if I have a bad first few balls, I can still try to reach the replay score and earn a second go instead of feeling like just giving up. And of course, everyone loves hearing the knocker!

#36 7 years ago

A few states like NY replays not allowed and thus add a ball or extra ball. Not sure if match is even allowed although I can certainly remember them at arcades in the Buffalo area back in the day. mid 80s

May still be a law in NY ?

#37 7 years ago

On location? All about it.

Edit: I'm a cheap bastard. I only own 9 or so pinball machines.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

is there any way to mod a new stern to have a knocker? or would it be impossible if all the code for it is on the board and doesnt signal any coil or anything physical to hack into it. would be a cool mod for sure.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

#39 7 years ago

I love winning free games but then again I'm not good enough to get one on my first try. Usually by the time I'm hitting free game level scores at a location I have already paid for a good number of games. I look at it like my sub sandwich card... 10 punches and the next ones free! I'll usually play it and even pay for a couple more afterwards.

#40 7 years ago

Love that pop!!!! Proves u ain't doing to bad....

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

How do people feel about the "Match"?

It's always been an operator option. And it's always been on. At least on the games I've played. Just when you think you're done and about to leave, it throws you a bone. I like it!

#42 7 years ago

It is that important that all my machines are set up with coin mechs ( I provide the coins ) and the thrill of a replay knock/screech ( whatever ) is still first and foremost.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

How do people feel about the "Match"?

Love it, especially when you are playing with friends on location & you are the low man. Sort of redeems your crappy play when you hit it.

#44 7 years ago

Replays are fantastic; both recognition and reward for having a good game... i.e., something to shoot for that's a little more pedestrian than getting on the high score list, achievable on occasion by most players. Even at home the replay is a nice recognition, even if the reward doesn't matter. Match is also an integral part of the pinball experience, both on location and at home if I match, I *must* play another game, even if I was originally planning to walk away. Sometimes that extra play results in having a great game, which keeps me there for another couple plays.

Keep in mind these are similar techniques are what makes redemption games popular. Replay means you achieved something based on skill, and match means the game likes you and wants you to play again, both very positive reinforcement to game play.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Love it, especially when you are playing with friends on location & you are the low man. Sort of redeems your crappy play when you hit it.

And on games with the double match feature, hearing that knocker fire ten times in a row is quite the consolation prize.

#46 7 years ago

To me replay's are everything. I am not a bad player, but nowhere near as good as probably most of the people on here, so it gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Especially when you hear the loud knock.

#47 7 years ago

Winning is everything. In my younger days a friend and I would go to the arcade run up credits on a machine and sell them. Every day we could make enough for a pack of cigarettes and a six pack of beer.

Today, I play BOPP at home to build credits. I play a one player game, a two player game, three player game, and a four player game, for a total of ten games, then see how I have increased the number of credits. Doing that gives me a nice long game time with some sort of end goal.

#48 7 years ago

Replays and Match are only important to pinheads. The general public don't know they exist and don't understand them, so it's to the op's advantage to turn both off, because pinheads are only like 10% of the customer base.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Replays and Match are only important to pinheads. The general public don't know they exist and don't understand them, so it's to the op's advantage to turn both off, because pinheads are only like 10% of the customer base.

So when does somebody from the general public that is dropping money in these machines graduate to pinhead status? Some might actually read the instruction cards on the apron.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So when does somebody from the general public that is dropping money in these machines graduate to pinhead status?

Seems like the first time they hear that knocker and do a fist-pump instead of a double take.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-important-are-replays-to-you/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.