Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How important is the Soundtrack to you, relative to Gameplay, and Lighting?”

• -1- Very Low Importance 0 votes
    • -2- 0 votes
    • -3- Low Importance 1 vote
      1%
    • -4- 2 votes
      3%
    • -5- Average 4 votes
      6%
    • -6- 3 votes
      4%
    • -7-Some what Important 26 votes
      37%
    • -8- 27 votes
      39%
    • 9+ The Most important 7 votes
      10%

(70 votes)

#1 7 years ago

Ok, I have another bet here going on, and it deals with the importance of Sound, music, and callouts! in a Pin.

So I have a simple 10 point system, to help answer the debate, and Whether or not Im picking up the Tab for a
    Dry aged Steak Dinner at Flemings! (Im salivating just typing this!)

In comments, Id like to ask another question along those lines.....How many of you found out a game you like
    or didnt like, playing early on at say a show, only to get one home or play at a friends to discover you really hate the soundtrack,
    or were pleasantly surprised how great it was, bringing it home?

i relate to this as an Elvis came home last month. Didnt know it was Ritchie, played only a dozen games before, never hearing the audio, but of course, could grab the songs and humm along, cause I knew them.

Surprise!, some tracks seem better than others....bot not what I expected in Sound, and a freaking Great Ritchie game, that doesnt get enough attention...even having a Warp ramp type shot.

Last night, I set up BOP, and what a game! Ive only played 5-6 games before, never heard the sound track, and finally understand why this is such a great Title! (Thanks to Jeff, Pinball Pimp, for an Amazing Job on the game!).

How do you guys see this?

#2 7 years ago

if audio on a game is lame, i wont play it or buy it.

#3 7 years ago

I think soundtrack is very important. One of the reasons I couldn't keep METLE for very long. And also one of the reasons Batman is now in my collection. I have to enjoy whatever sounds are coming out of the machine to keep on wanting to play it.

#4 7 years ago

Metallica did that to me too....Awesome Gameplay, but I knew none of the Music.
    I was hoping and thought, ikt was more of a Jukebox...user controlled Music like AC/DC.
    Played Pinball Refinary at show, and fell in love with it! Who didnt? But couldnt tell the sound.
    Lasted a month before it went to someone else because of my taste in music.

#5 7 years ago

You guys know you can swap songs with Pinball Browser right?

#6 7 years ago

I chose somewhat.
    Just because of the fact that don't really like Metallica music that much, but the pin more then makes up for that in the art, layout and rules department.
    Same thing with F14. That jet sound annoys the hell out of me but I still find myself playing it.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Metallica did that to me too....Awesome Gameplay, but I knew none of the Music.

I knew all the music. And they were one of my favorite bands back in the 80s. But a couple months owning that machine made me never want to hear them again.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You guys know you can swap songs with Pinball Browser right?

Yes, but still learning it and need time....Are you skilled at it to offer help?

#9 7 years ago

I miss not having the sound working on my one pin. It really adds to the gameplay. Hasn't worked in a year. One of these days...

#10 7 years ago

As long as all three chimes are working, I am happy

#11 7 years ago

I used to think it didn't matter and then I played Dialed In. With the early code there are little to no call outs and I definitely miss them.

#12 7 years ago

I love the when the music builds during a timed event. It adds to the pressure of nailing the shot!

#13 7 years ago

The fact that the Lighting & Sound are mentioned in the same sentence with Gameplay is sad, but that's the times we live in

Sounds can help a game, but it can also kill a game. You have games like BOP that are just so goddamn boring, but the sound is top notch. Then you have game like TSPP or FGY that are probably good games but so irritating.
    Anything in the middle is passable either way.
    I'll go back to playing those EMs of mine with no soundtrack & flat lighting with awesome gameplay

#14 7 years ago

I rated it high because annoying callouts can ruin a game for me.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, but still learning it and need time....Are you skilled at it to offer help?

Yep - feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

#16 7 years ago

quick test, play with the volume turned off and see if you care about sound

#17 7 years ago

huge! A big part of the reason I own games.

Tx Sector, RoboWar, Excalibur to name a few.

The only reason I miss BK2K.

Love games with distinct original sound tracks for doing things. i.e. mousin around.

BEST current soundtrack in the making >>> TOTAL ANNIHALATION!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yep - feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

Thank you! Ill try to make them Short, an unabusive!

The first easy questions is for all...Has a video or any tutorial been created?

Thanks!

#19 7 years ago

I think the sound is incredibly important ESPECIALLY on licensed games. If the music is not recognizable or "good" (not licensed machines) then the game experience is degraded. If it is licensed and the voice actors are not the original or a VERY close approximation, it makes me really not like the game because it is not "right". For licensed games the callouts and sound make or break the nostalgia factor.

...why do you think the have dramatic sound for movies????

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

That's also a great way to see if you really care about the game. I played a NGG with the sound out and it was about the most boring table I ever stepped up to. Which shows me some games need sound to even be playable.

#21 7 years ago

It's of almost ultimate importance. Good gameplay and engaging ruleset come first, of course, but the audio is frequently what sells the whole package as an emotional experience, whether music, sound effect, or callouts. It's a major reason for why so many Premiere pins are catastrophically bad, and why Bally/Williams pins are so cohesive - their audio packages are so thorough.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My RBION sound takes awHile to come on...played it muted just Sunday; great game.

Quoted from o-din:

I played a NGG with the sound out and it was about the most boring table I ever stepped up to.

Doesn't take that long with the sound to get there either.

#23 7 years ago

I used to think it was somewhat important, if I play old SS immediately after playing modern games, I get bored with just the bings and bongs.

Then I was introduced to PinballShark's pinsound mix for Doctor Who and sound packages became very important, it can make such a huge difference, an already awesome game becomes exponentially more awesome with amazing sound.

#24 7 years ago

Nothing like the sweet sound of several vintage EMs with all their bells dinging and donging at the same time. Just like what an old arcade sounded like back in the day.

#25 7 years ago

I view pinball machines kinda like video games (home games, not arcade).

To me, the soundtrack and game should go hand in hand, so as long as the music matches the gameplay and theme, I can dig it.

#26 7 years ago

The entire sound package is an integral part of the game for me. I think there are a couple of examples even recently that support that.

For example, having a David Thiel sound package for a game is seen as an advantage. The success of the Pin Sound stuff seems to support it as well.

#27 7 years ago

Music and calls for me are VERY IMPORTANT. Of course gameplay is paramount, but after that I think music comes second. I enjoy creating soundtracks with Pinsound, and I put a lot of time into it and learned something. A good pinball soundtrack is not only made of catchy tunes. They also need to have a strong link to the ongoing mode/feature, and they do NOT have to sound like a jukebox. It's not easy at all to create a brilliant soundtrack. Then of course everybody has different musical tastes and prefer certain genres - that too has an influence. But a good soudtrack - regardless the music genre - shoud have proper tempo changes, vloume changes, contrasts, exciting emotional calls, proper sound effects, all mixed up in a coherent way.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

It's a major reason for why so many Premiere pins are catastrophically bad,

Class of 1812 and Super Mario have awesome music and sound. So do some of their older ones like Gold Wings.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Class of 1812 and Super Mario have awesome music and sound. So do some of their older ones like Gold Wings.

Oh god I can't stand Class of 1812's audio.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Oh god I can't stand Class of 1812's audio.

Hahaha. Oh well ... Audio package is extremely important to me - but it all comes down to taste. Very few games off the top of my head have sound that flat out turns me off. CFTBL & Freddy come to mind. Just terrible music that ruins the games for me. Stern has some games with terrible voices (Xmen, Spidey Vault, BDK, 24) but the music and Fx are usually good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-import-is-the-sound-track-to-you?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.