Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know everyone is posting their "here's what I would have done" fixes, but if you'll indulge me in mine since I took the time to animate a stupid demo:
A single disc has been done a ton of times, there's nothing unique about it. So as long as JJP is going to 'already been done' I would have switched to magnets instead. Same idea, random ball action, put in 3 or whatever, get it bouncing around a bit, just like the original disc transitions. Might work better than the single disc, might be around the same, can't imagine it would be all that worse. We've seen it before (Addams etc), it works.
Keep the exact same art that people already liked, with the 3 concentric discs, but — this the key — keep the lit inserts. It sucks to lose the inserts. Who wants to give up playfield lights? They look cool, they were interactive and one of the features. Keep them.
Then what you do is while the magnets are active, you light the inserts quickly one at a time in a circle around each disc, so you get a 'virtual spin' effect. Then they can still stop and land on something, just won't line up the same. Keep the new animation on the backglass LCD,it looks really nice, and is what anyone watching you play will see. You can read it off the playfield by inserts, or look up for the show if you care to see everything line up.
Magnets aren't anything new, it's true, but neither is the single disc, so seems equal enough to me, and you still get the inserts, the spinning effect could still look cool, and it would keep the original spirit of the 3 ring map still. And if you've never owned a magnet in playfield game it's a fun thing to have, and it's fun for guests to see the ball suddenly change course 'magically'.
I was never gonna pay for this game no matter what, but if I was a buyer I think I'd be more okay with that switch. It's not as cool, granted, but it feels less like taking something away. I'd take the virtual spin with magnets over discs that were breaking making the game unplayable, or that were jerky or didn't work great and were annoying.
My two cents. It's not a huge project to engineer some magnets, they already have the inserts. Not trying to handwave changing anything as easy, but it's a a well explored topic by now, not need to invent new mechs or mess with motors etc. That's what I'd do at least.
Here's a quick gif of the idea:

Awesome idea, but not really physically possible. There a reason games wth magnets are devoid of inserts in those areas. There’s no room for anything but the magnet coil and core there and it’s flush with the pf, meaning nothing else can go there. That’s why that mech was so effing cool! It spun AND had the inserts! Such a shame.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-id-fix-the-jjp-potc-disc-issue?tu=Pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.