Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

» YouTube video
Go to 5:50. Claims over a thousand games with countless hours and proven very reliable.
Lots of questions...

Doesn’t make any sense when in some videos/interviews they say it’s reliable and works great, now it’s a problem. What changed in a few weeks? Is this a joke, built to create hype??? I don’t understand

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

» YouTube video
Go to 5:50. Claims thousands of games with countless hours and proven very reliable.
Lots of questions...

Exactly!

In a home environment which most will be, the mech would be fine.

#53 6 years ago

So many good ideas thrown around to compensate for this (love Aurich's idea even if it has to be modified for magnets-love my lights) - find it ironic JJP took so much time up until now to work on the pin - and at the 11 th hour rush out the bad video by Eric that implies this is it - we are going into production.

Everyone already waited so long (compared to a Stern announce/release cycle) I can't get over why they would not take a couple more weeks to brainstorm another alternative (like some mentioned on here). Man I hope I am wrong and Eric states on the podcast they are still contemplating other paths. Just seems like the higher ups said times up - launch.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

» YouTube video
Go to 5:50. Claims thousands of games with countless hours and proven very reliable.
Lots of questions...

i believe he was discussing wear not reliability.

#55 6 years ago

How about an arm off the spinning disk motor, operating at a different speed, with a Magnet, or Rare Earth Magnet if the Disk is thin enough....
or a Fidget Spinner with three large magnets at the end spinning?

I think something unique has to be in the game there now.....Happened with Smaug......

#56 6 years ago

I like this thread. Some great ideas here. My favorite so far being a round LCD where the map was. But there’s already an extra LCD in the apron... Maybe they could move that screen to the play field and have it be the compass / map award all in one? I’m ok with the whirlwind disc but this would be a more innovative solution. I think JJP is open to ideas as they’ve shown in the past and this thread could be the catalyst.

#57 6 years ago

For everyone talking about inserts and magnets in the same space I think you misunderstood. There are 25 inserts. You'd have at most 3 magnets, in a rough triangle, in the spaces where there are no inserts. Not 25 magnets where the LEDs are. One in the center, and then find space for two more, or maybe one is enough, I dunno, would take some testing. Electromagnets are just coils, they're not that huge. Maybe it's too tight, not really something I sat down and tried to CAD up, just a concept. The center would be fine I'm sure.

I need to look at a Ghostbusters Prem playfield underside, the magnet slings get some good action, not sure if that's a single coil.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

With proper fade design on the lights they can make that spin around like a comet with a fading tail and look really, really good. They can accelerate the spin, alternate them, reverse them, all sorts of things. Could actually be more interesting visually than the three discs.

Yup. I almost tried to animate that, but it was too fiddly for my bullshit photoshop gif to bother. Fade them, change their colors, put different colors on each ring, you can do a lot with that many RGB LEDs and some programming.

If there's a warehouse full of playfields already cut with giant holes in them then well, JJP is stupid. I doubt that's the case.

Quoted from Pinwiz23:

My favorite so far being a round LCD where the map was.

That doesn't provide any ball action, so it doesn't feel like much of solution.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

It's too late in the cycle to re-engineer something.

Clearly it's not since that's what they're doing.

As I said, I'm not hand waving away work, but this is a known solution, it's been done before, it's not wild and crazy. Some coils and some code. No new mechs, no motors, no custom parts to be manufactured, off the shelf parts, same inserts they already had. As far as changes go it's pretty tame.

They're not gonna use this idea (feel free to steal it though JJP) I'm just BSing with folks on the forum, let's not take this too seriously. But if they wanted to do this it's not a huge project to undertake.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

» YouTube video
Lots of questions...

WOW Intresting!! Ive played at level 257 a bunch and its had Zero problems that I know of. I'm going to the Launch party this Friday so will they still have the old version or bring a new table???

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Lots of questions...

Whoops.

The only "fix" in my mind is put the spinning discs back in there and make it work like apparently is has been.

Is it difficult coding wise? Should have figured that out a LONG time ago.

If its a cost cutting measure then you can F me running.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

But even more simple, why not keep the current mechanism, or something very similar, and just make it less active?

This is a superb idea and should be taken very seriously by JJP.

Retain the 3 disks but instead of thinking of their purpose as imparting action on the ball, think of them only as rings that can move based on play. They are engineered to handle this slow movement.

Imagine game begins and 3 rings rotate to random positions. Then, Based on game play(!), one can rotate different rings into certain goal positions. Shooting lit ramps or whatever will move a certain ring a certain direction. Could have pops or something else switch directions of rings too.

Advantage is keeping the center mech as is (just slow), and now stays as central to gameplay! THE PLAYER moves the rings to achieve goals - this actually improves the coolness of this mech to me as the player can see the rings (when spinning they are just a blur). I don't even think of this as a step back just a different interpretation of a cool piece of hardware! This is the point, cool hardware stays so buyers will be much happier than taking it out.

If people will miss the random action on the ball then add a magnet or two.

Fantastic idea TheFamilyArcade!

#62 6 years ago

Sadly it really sounds like a money issue on their behalf - which makes it a money issue on my behalf.

If they do as they announced I will spend my 12.5k elsewhere.

Most likely on a Refinery Edition of a 2018 Stern

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Doesn’t make any sense when in some videos/interviews they say it’s reliable and works great, now it’s a problem. What changed in a few weeks? Is this a joke, built to create hype??? I don’t understand

Are you suggesting it’s might be a bait and switch?

#64 6 years ago

OK started a poll - please vote:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-save-the-3-disks-poll#post-4340983

JJP needs our support - somethings come off the rails and we can help. Thanks.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

This is a superb idea and should be taken very seriously by JJP.

Fantastic idea TheFamilyArcade!

Why thank you. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I like the idea Aurich. But even more simple, why not keep the current mechanism, or something very similar, and just make it less active?

Because it costs the same. I don't think JJP wants to strip the machine, but someone else holds the wallet. They have final say, I'm willing to bet.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Because it costs the same. I don't think JJP wants to strip the machine, but someone else holds the wallet. They have final say, I'm willing to bet.

You bring up a good point which is on my mind now too and that is whether JJP is operating in good faith here.

The reason given by Eric for removal of the 3 disk is because of reliability. The proposed slow-turning 3-disk compromise keeps the coolness of the original design and could even improve gameplay as it now becomes more interactive instead of just spinning around.

Now if the real reason that they are cutting this is because of cost then we will find out because the simplest possible alternative has now been proposed. So if cost cutting is the real reason then we will know soon enough and I don't think the community will respond well to that.

We'll see how this plays out.

#68 6 years ago

The outer two discs could move slow as described above and the centre disc could spin fast, as that could be set up as a standard play field spinner. In fact the outer rings could be below a clear window, to protect the edges as these rings are only a visual feature.

Another version would be Aurich's idea, with lights to outer rings and the centre a spinner with no lights.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Another version would be Aurich's idea, with lights to outer rings and the centre a spinner with no lights.

I think it's all or nothing with the lights, unless you want to just remove text from them and make them purely eye candy, with no information.

#70 6 years ago

I think a good fix would be: ship it with the pizza for now, continue working on the mech, and ship an updated mech to people who want one once it's prven out. I'd even pay more for it.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think a good fix would be: ship it with the pizza for now, continue working on the mech, and ship an updated mech to people who want one once it's prven out. I'd even pay more for it.

Something like this is wildly unrealistic, it will never happen. Even just expecting consumers to be able to self install such a thing is too much, not to mention the expense, the complications that would be have to be addressed with in the code etc.

What they ship is what you're going to get. Not saying they'll even listen to anyone and change anything, but speak up now or don't bother.

#72 6 years ago

I don't think it even needs rotating discs or magnets.

If the solution looked better and was integrated more seamlessly with the rest of the machine I doubt there'd be the outpouring of grief, since there's so much else going on in the machine.

To take Aurich's idea further re: LEDs inserts. You could have larger, possibly ring shaped inserts, in an inanimate disc, with strips of programmable RGB LEDs. You could easily program fairly impressive mode dependent light shows - chase patterns would look potentially much better than rotating discs in representing a whirlpool.

Best of all, it wouldn't require much if any engineering time, as it'd be more of a software issue, and it'd remove any lingering doubts about mechanical reliability.

#73 6 years ago

If they just leave the triple disc and spin it slowly like many others have said they could use the screen for the awards.
Its simply a bad idea to remove the current disc and will cost them many orders in the end. Hopefully they really consider this moving forward.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

JJP needs to have the confidence to make a decision and go with it.
You don’t see any other Pinball manufacturer have pinsiders influence Pinball design.

Except if the decision is to stick with one spinning disk.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Pizza/barf disk is a no go for me.

I hope more people put their foot down on this because it’s bullshit to pay 10k for something you were very excited for only to have end up looking like that.

#76 6 years ago

That's not a bad idea... Kinda like the small wheel and big wheel inserts on Bride of Pinbot!

#77 6 years ago

I wouldn't pay a penny more for a thing.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

A lot of good ideas, unfortunately it looks like this thread is dead now.

#79 6 years ago

3 magnets under the playfield versus a single disk that looks out of place and his little affect on the ball sounds much more interesting and fun.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

lets be honest, you were never even a potential buyer from the start, correct?

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Incorrect.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know I wasn't, been clear about that, so I'm not going to keep beating this drum, I just wanted to share an idea. What the forum is for right? Clearly people aren't happy with the single disc demo, maybe they'd have liked this better, maybe not, it's not what they were promised.

I wish JJP nothing but luck. I think games that cost this much are stupid though, so I just can't get too emotionally worked up over it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-id-fix-the-jjp-potc-disc-issue/page/2?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.