HighHand.jpg
colors.jpg
yellow.jpg
green.jpg
red.jpg
black.jpg
Outlines.jpg
Scan1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 10 years ago

What if there's no scanner available?

Would it be possible to take a series of pictures and stitch them together? You'd likely need some way to suspend the camera equidistant from the plastic for every shot, but if the lighting was the same and the focal distance never changed... ?

Just thinking out loud, trying to find a way to approximate this methodology without having access to a hand scanner or those old two part HPs.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Yep, the camera would have to be perfectly aligned and the same distance on each pic, and even then the lens itself would curve the image towards the edge.

That's kind of what I figured. So the consensus seems to be that it's doable if there are no real other options, it just means more work in pre-production in order to try and fix the natural distortion applied by the camera lens. Thanks, good to know.

I wonder if this same methodology could be used to digitize the playfield too? Obviously not for a pro-grade restoration, but for a player quality machine, it might be a cost effective way to try and correct a previous "repair" attempt by someone who was no artist.

I might take some pictures and post in a separate thread, don't want to hijack this one. Thanks for the info gents.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffHecht:

I have done that to recreate areas on the playfield of my Embryon machine (for making water slide decals of high traffic areas). It's a bit more tedious, but certainly doable.
For a complete PF reproduction, I scanned an entire Strikes and Spares playfield and recreated the artwork in my computer and had a new vinyl print laid down on the old playfield (with the artwork sanded off and 2 coats of base clear coat). You can see the result here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strikes-and-spares-restoration
Jeff

Oh believe me, I'm quite familiar with that thread.

That's my main idea though and it would be in a fairly limited area, there are a few spots that could greatly benefit from a water slide decal on my Counterforce playfield and I'm a much better digital image manipulator than I am a painter/artist, so I was hoping to be able to digitize a section or two of the playfield, clean up the mess and then drop the decals on and throw a few coats of clear over top to have a really solid looking playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics?tu=rdm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.