Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Slim_(resized).jpg
Translites_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

While I was at TPF, I picked up a bag of 100 warm white 555 base LEDs from CT, $59. I've always been hesitant to use LEDs in backboxes, but my B/W DMDs were looking kind of dim and sad next to my new POTC. Long story short, I replaced exactly half of the bulbs with LEDs, and left the other half empty. It's perfect! And it cost me less than $15 per game.

As always with LEDs, this pic doesn't do the games justice. I'm very happy with how they turned out. Am I the only one who leaves sockets empty so the translite isn't too bright and washed out?

Translites_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Am I the only one who leaves sockets empty so the translite isn't too bright and washed out?

Nope, I do the same thing. Sometimes I put less than half and then add some till I like what I see. Oh, and glad you finally came to your senses and gave those pins some much deserved love...of LEDs.

#3 3 years ago

Yeah dude. Dmd games deserve full LED's. I do cool or warm white. You're just slowly killing your plastics with incandescents. Think "ez-bake oven".

#4 3 years ago

That is the whole idea of this machine, you know. Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy... the FEAR to attack. And so, because of the automated and irrevocable decision-making process which rules out human meddling, the LED conversion is terrifying and simple to understand... and completely credible and convincing.

Slim_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Call me Dr. Strangelight. I'm still using incandescent on the playfields (LEDs for inserts, though). JM is the only one with LED playfield GI.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Call me Dr. Strangelight. I'm still using incandescent on the playfield (LEDs for inserts, though). JM is the only one with LED playfield GI.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Some games look great with LEDs in the GI and some don't. From now on, I will always use LEDs in the inserts (when possible) and backbox, but will stick with incandescents in the GI if it looks better.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

While I was at TPF, I picked up a bag of 100 warm white 555 base LEDs from CT, $59 ....

Must be a Georgia thing ... I made the same purchase

Quoted from swampfire:

Call me Dr. Strangelight. I'm still using incandescent on the playfields (LEDs for inserts, though). JM is the only one with LED playfield GI.

Not strange at all, I did the same to EATPM and Space Station - incandescent GI (except I went green LED for that mode in SS) and LED inserts. I really like how the insert colors are more vivid now.
I tried LEDs in the SS backbox and yeah it got really washed out but it didn't occur to me to leave some blank, I'll give that a try tonight.

BTW - I was talking to Greg on Sunday, sorry to hear you were under the weather at TPF, I was hoping to meet face to face.

#8 3 years ago

I also picked up a bag of 100 Premium Warm White #44s. Looking forward to further adventures in LED modding. Metallica may be next!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I also picked up a bag of 100 Premium Warm White #44s. Looking forward to further adventures in LED modding. Metallica may be next!

Just a heads up that is a bit of an odd buy. You don't need the non ghosting bulbs in your gi. Only inserts which are mostly 555 but if course some older games do have lots of 44s in inserts

#10 3 years ago

For AFM, I left 555s in the see-through area of the translite and used the same warm whites everywhere else - looks good and it's a lot brighter, and you don't get blinded by the LEDs in the clear parts.

#11 3 years ago

I feel like leds just make the game pop, if done tastefully. There are leds that look horrendous though. Just frosted whites in GI and a lot of whites in the inserts. Some color matched leds with inserts too.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

Just a heads up that is a bit of an odd buy. You don't need the non ghosting bulbs in your gi. Only inserts which are mostly 555 but if course some older games do have lots of 44s in inserts

Thanks. I probably will use these mostly in inserts - older Bally games in particular, but as you pointed out most inserts are 555's. I remember now because those old 555 sockets cut my hands. As I do more playfield swaps, I plan to switch to 44 sockets wherever possible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside