New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 166252)

How I Internet-ified my Hobbit Pin

By Pontificus

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by koops
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

This is a write-up on how I hooked my JJP Hobbit Pin to the Internet, enabling live streaming directly from the pinball machine, and allowing people to interact with my pin by displaying messages and images through the Internet on my pinball backglass.
All changes were to software, with the exception of plugging in a few cords.

http://lachniet.com/hobbit

TLDR; 7-minute overview video @

#2 4 years ago

this is super cool. Does this void the warranty?

#3 4 years ago

Love what you're doing, very cool to see!

#4 4 years ago

I think it highly likely you will break your warranty but don't know. Turns out JJP has already got a patent for something similar (in updated write-up). Cool.

#5 4 years ago

Awesome stuff. My Hobbit is suppose to be shipping today and this was one of the things I was eager to play with (besides playing an awesome game).
I had, a very basic, live stream of my Joker Poker to the web at one point. I was using Pascal's all in one board for the system, and it had a i2c port for a large display. I was able to use an Arduino to monitor those lines and then update an html page with an image of the back glass with the current score in a matching font. (with poorly written html code)
Thats as far as I got.
But pinball on a full linux machine is going to be fun to play with.
Keep it up!

#6 4 years ago

Awesome job. I'm really excited to see where this goes in the future. Cutting edge stuff.

I'm sure STERN will have it on their next release.

#7 4 years ago

Interesting idea. The first thing that came to my mind however was "Man. Dude is going to get spammed with a ton of dick pics on his Hobbit." Are you concerned about that at all?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Interesting idea. The first thing that came to my mind however was "Man. Dude is going to get spammed with a ton of dick pics on his Hobbit." Are you concerned about that at all?

Honestly that was my second thought as well.

My first thought was being shocked that the OS did not seem to have any protections against this sort of modding?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Yeah. I was thinking that the submitted images would be 98% not allowed on Twitch.

Very cool project though.

You talk about upload speeds and Twitch. Their page does as well. I've never seen anything talking about processing speed. I have an unused XP workstation that's a Duo of either 2.2 or 2.4Ghz. Is there a way to confirm that will work before I get the typical web cams used to stream pinball on Twitch?

#10 4 years ago

RE: Dick pics - yup, I thought of that. Nobody tried it though, quite surprisingly (yet). You could password protect it and force people to put in that password to do an image (or a text message, or both, whatever).

RE: Upload speeds - I don't really know what kind of speed is required. The stock Hobbit could certainly do MORE but I don't think it could do all 3 displays combined and then encoded with H.264 to stream. HOWEVER, what you could do is send three different streams in the most raw, un-encoded format (MPEG-2) to a fast machine on your local network and have *that* machine do the combining, encoding, and uploading. I actually set up a virtual machine to do this but never got around to it.

1 week later
#11 4 years ago

Pontifcus, do you recall if you were able to access the log files directly from the hobbit?

ie. the event info regarding length of ball etc?

5 months later
#12 3 years ago

Awesome. Someone else did it to a limited degree with Stern pins using Raspberry Pi. He's currently using the integration to auto tweet scores. I can see that this could be easily enhanced so that there is a REST interface to pull a whole bunch of data more than just scores and a web based console to control wifi and social media integration. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-tweeting-high-scores

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

Awesome. Someone else did it to a limited degree with Stern pins using Raspberry Pi. He's currently using the integration to auto tweet scores. I can see that this could be easily enhanced so that there is a REST interface to pull a whole bunch of data more than just scores and a web based console to control wifi and social media integration. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-tweeting-high-scores

I'm about to do a heap of that stuff. I keep getting side tracked by trying to get it streaming gameplay

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Osaka
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside