IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG
240Vac-z.jpg
images-1.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

The transformer in my TZ gets pretty hot.
After playing for an hour, it's too hot to touch.
I hope this is normal.

What is the average temperature for a transformer?

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

This one's pretty hot:

In all honesty, I never felt the need to touch the transformer in my machines. Maybe I should check? Never gave it a thought.

Chris

#3 8 years ago

I recently checked my transformers in ST, Lotr and MM, they felt luke-warm after a few hours. I am interrested in this as well because i have (sound) insulated my ST and I dont want to risk a spontanious burn of the insulation material...

#4 8 years ago

Anybody measured the temperature? Please share

#5 8 years ago

I'd help, but you really need to compare apples to apples - and I don't own a Williams WPC.

#6 8 years ago

Has the power supply been rebuilt? It might be putting too much stress on the transformer if it hasn't.

#7 8 years ago

Decepticon or Autobot? I figured it was a fair question because you asked Transformer instead of transformer.

#8 8 years ago

Is the transformer wired for the correct voltage???

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Is the transformer wired for the correct voltage???

How can I check that?

#10 8 years ago

The one in my Doctor Who gets pretty dang hot. I have never measured it though.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

How can I check that?

Your location is unknown ... did you import the game from another countrY??

#12 8 years ago

Check your fuse values. Make sure it isn't drawing more amperage than it should anywhere, especially on the GI. Transformers can run hot, but they shouldn't be so hot you cannot touch them.

The other is making sure the primary tap is set up right for US 120v operation (if you are in the US). Some transformers have the option for 110v & 120v, I don't think a TZ would have that though, as it is new enough to have bypassed that era. If your house it normally operating at 120-125v, that additional 10-15v can make a small heat difference if it is set to 110 though.. If you have anything below 120vAC stable at your house, you may wanna call your power company. I've got a solid 125vAC at mine, even during peak hours.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for the input.
Location is Europe, standard 220V wall socket.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

Thanks for the input.
Location is Europe, standard 220V wall socket.

Where in Europe? Have you measured AC on the outlet with a meter?

#15 8 years ago

i don't think a transformer normally get too hot to touch. if you wrongly connect the 110v/220V input there would be other obvious problems. If there were to high currents be pulled from it, it could overheat but in that case a fuse at the secondary circuit will blow, unless its bridged by a nail or some sort.
maybe it is whithin the transormer itself, some windings could interfer with eachother when the insulation becomes weak or so. None of my transormers get too hot to touch .. till today...knock on wood!

#16 8 years ago

on a second thought....
a TZ transformer is designed for 220V. Nowdays in most part of Europe we get 230V. So that could amplify any issue you might have....

#17 8 years ago

In The Netherlands. I haven't changed anything with the transformer, it got a sticker 220V inside the cabinet though.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

on a second thought....
a TZ transformer is designed for 220V. Nowdays in most part of Europe we get 230V. So that could amplify any issue you might have....

If it was starved voltage, it would be more likely to overheat, as it is drawing more current. So the opposite would be true here. I was just wondering what his AC wall V looked like. Most likely this is a bulb AC issue or component failure that is drawing excessive amperage and a wrong value fuse.

#20 8 years ago

Hey baby...

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg
#21 8 years ago

For the Netherlands you can use this config.240Vac-z.jpg240Vac-z.jpg

#22 8 years ago

"Too hot to touch" is really nebulous... If you're concerned enough to ask, you should be concerned enough to troubleshoot. Mains voltage and an actual temperature reading would be where I'd start. Search eBay for the GM320 (basic IR thermometer), shouldn't cost more than twenty Euro. That and your trusty multimeter should get you pointed in the right direction.

1 week later
#23 8 years ago

I measured it with an IR thermometer, and after an hour or so, the temperature is around 50-60 degrees celcius according to the thermometer.
Wondering if that's a normal range.
Anybody else got it measured?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

Hi All,

What is the average temperature for a transformer?
Thanks

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This one's pretty hot:
transformer.jpg

Chris

About 37 degrees Celsius? ... sorry.

#25 8 years ago

If the transformer is hot to the touch, hot, not warm, then something is likely not right with your power supply, even if it isn't blowing fuses. The transformer will get warm though. Had a friend with a Harlem Globetrotters he'd just got. I was working on other games for him and took a look at the HG as it had other issues. The transformer was really hot. The PS needed repinning and rebuilding in general. Once I rebuilt the unit and fixed some hacks on it the transformer never got more than a gentle warmth, no more cooking eggs in the backbox.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

I measured it with an IR thermometer, and after an hour or so, the temperature is around 50-60 degrees celcius according to the thermometer.
Wondering if that's a normal range.
Anybody else got it measured?

That's pretty hot, like CPU hot. On mine, even after being on for hours, they're usually only slightly warm at most. Follow Shimoda's advice. Check your secondary tap inputs to your PSU. Make sure your headers and connectors are nice and clean, and that the pins have a nice strong connection and aren't loose on the solder side.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

For the Netherlands you can use this config.240Vac-z.jpg

I just checked mine, but mine is pinned different, is it pinned wrong and might that be the cause?

See attached image.
(also posted some other images)

IMG_2388.JPGIMG_2388.JPG IMG_2389.JPGIMG_2389.JPG IMG_2390.JPGIMG_2390.JPG IMG_2391.JPGIMG_2391.JPG
#28 8 years ago

Yours is pinned for 218Vac, it's better to re-pin to 230Vac. Most areas have now 235Vac in the Netherlands.
trafo-plug1.pngtrafo-plug1.png

#29 8 years ago

I guess I haven't seen heat issues like this with over-voltage in the US cause it is only a 10v+ difference with older primary transformer tap set ups on average. You guys in the EU have a 20v+ difference when mains voltages were ramped up. Those extra volts can make a good wattage difference, and that energy has to dissipate somewhere. In my tube amps for guitar, it makes a noticeable difference in sound headroom, but not much more heat on the transformer if I switch between the 110v tap and the 120v. Makes me glad we use 120v here, little more wiggle room for error.

#30 8 years ago

Thanks, I re-pinned it to 230vac
Also refitted all connectors.
But not much difference in heat.
Still around 50 degrees celcius :S

#31 8 years ago

start by disconnecting the gi. j120 and j121. retest with coin door open

#32 8 years ago

The picture with the speaker shows a modification, sound-mod or extra woofer ?
Does the machine have other non-original power consuming modifications ?

#33 8 years ago

It's the pinballpro speaker set.
But just installed it this week, tranformer was getting hot before the speaker upgrade.
So can't be the speaker set causing it.

I have replaced all bulbs with LEDs, only most of the flashers are not replaced yet.
And a few mods connected to GI, like a car, camera and deadend lamp.

#34 8 years ago

test again with coin door open (which disables high voltage output to playfield). Leave in attract mode. If it still stays hot after a couple hours, then it's probably bad traces in the power driver board.

#35 8 years ago

Ok, With LEDs it would be no problem for the transformer, also the few mods and flasher won't heat up the transformer.
But to be sure, do as castlesteve says above, and check temperature after an hour or so

#36 8 years ago

^^ posted at the same time

#37 8 years ago

Ok thanks for the tips, will do so shortly and post the results

But to be sure, 50 degree celcius is not normal voor a TZ ?

Everything else seems to be working fine (unless sometimes an opto goes crazy, will replace the gumball entry opto this weekend, most probably faulty receiver).

#38 8 years ago

Not to long ago I had a TZ for repair and the transformer was touchable warm, not sure about temperature, but maybe that is 50ºC.
This TZ was almost full LED and had also light-mods on GI and lampmatrix.

#39 8 years ago

I expected more Megan Fox pictures to be posted in here...

#40 8 years ago

Next option is to disconnect the plasma and video driver board. Those can get pretty hot and an old plasma could require a lot of current.

Normally, transformers are designed to run warm, but never hot. You're sinking too much current somewhere and surprisingly not popping fuses (assuming someone did not put 20amp ones in).

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I expected more Megan Fox pictures to be posted in here...

Since her more recent transformation, she is no longer hot. She looks like she belongs in a wax museum now. I'll take some of this instead:
download.jpgdownload.jpg

Andrew Garfield is a lucky dude.

#42 8 years ago

You guys are killing me xD

Which fuses are advised to check specifically?

I already checked the fuses on the leftside of the PDB (at J1XX connectors, F101 to F108), all 3A correctly.
F115 is 3/4A (can you put a 3A fuse in here btw?).

Haven't checked other fuses.
It's a pretty troublesome job to get the fuses out, even with a fuse puller.
Doing it very carefully so the board doesn't bend too much.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

F115 is 3/4A (can you put a 3A fuse in here btw?).

No, never !
I don't think the LM7812 in combination with C2 can deliver enough current (2.2 Amp peek) to blow a 3 Amp fuse in case something goes wrong.
If lucky, the LM7812 shuts down.
If not lucky, it will start smoking in the backbox.

So, always use a 0.75A FastBlow

#44 8 years ago

Never over fuse. In a pinch, under fuse and hope it survives if that is all you have.

#45 8 years ago

Aaah ok, thanks for the heads up.
I thought it was a 3 or 4 amp fuse, didn't think of 0.75 amp
Will buy some 0.75 fuses to keep in stock, just in case

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 132.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-hot-can-a-transformer-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.