8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

106_1551.jpg
    TOTAN_.jpg
    TOTAN.jpg
    Cow-2.jpg
    Cow.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    images.jpeg

#1 8 years ago

A fellow pinsider just posed a question in his thread that made me ask myself "How honest am I"?
    If someone asked you to look at a machine for them and provide details but you showed up and discovered it was in great shape for steal of a price...what would you do? Im only asking for the truth and as I see it there are only 2 real options. Be honest and tell them asap or flash the cash, bring it home and lie and say it was trashed I hereby state for the record that I would be completely honest....unless it was MM. I dont think I could help myself if that was the case and you should know better to ask a pinhead to look at that one for you. I am curious of what others would do...so how honest are you?

#2 8 years ago

2 options? You left out "I seen it and liked it so much I bought it for myself.....sorry".

#3 8 years ago

No one should ask the person buying your item to tell me how much it was worth, and if someone does, they probably aren't concerned with getting there money out of it.

I would give them my Mr Pinball pricing guide price (high), point them to pinside price (low), tell them that the CA Bay Area is the most expensive place, and let them decide themselves.

I actually seen a guy on Bay Area Craigslist selling a Gottlieb Super Mario Bros game "In good shape" for something like $500. He wasn't asking for pricing info, but I emailed him and told him that he should be getting $800. I don't know if he took my advice, but I think it might still be one of those "I need it gone" situations.

#4 8 years ago

Honestly I would be honest,That machine may find it's way back to you someday for doing the guy a favor in the first place.

#5 8 years ago

Yea, i agree with v8, you never know when a good deed will be returned.

#6 8 years ago

You gotta be honest and tell them what you know and where to get more info. Karma is a BITCH and she will get you every time.

#7 8 years ago

I was looking to see if there was anyone out there willing to do the "pick it up for me until I can get it myself" plan that someone else talked about last month. If I haven't already decided to look at the machine myself, if asked by someone here, I will do my best to give an honest opinion and would happily hold it at my house or business until it is picked up by the buyer. I know this seems like I am being too trusting and perhaps asking too much of fellow man but, if I can't trust the people here, who AM I going to turn to!??!

#8 8 years ago

What goes around comes around. It is always better to be honest in any situation, but the pin world isn't that big of a place. If you screw people, word gets around. I've been collecting almost a year and I already have a few people I'll never deal with again, and I'll advise others not to either. I know this is a hypothetical question, but don't get yourself placed on a bunch of people's bad lists by being greedy and dishonest. There are always other pins out there.

#9 8 years ago

I believe that Pinsiders are honest and do have integrity. Thats what makes it classy. That and the hard work from Robin and the staff. That said I should of asked a different question. Maybe like ..If someone asked you to look at a pin and give them the scoop because they wanted to buy it and you were close and could inspect it for them-what would be the pin that would tempt you the most to want to keep for yourself ?
    Gorilla, I havent checked recently but if the SoF is still available I do hope you get it somehow.

#10 8 years ago

Things can get 'funny' when it comes to money and one has to tread lightly,
    Something for all of us to consider one day -
    if we pass away unexpectedly what will become of our collections?
    will some member of our families be saddled with the task of selling off everything?
    making room in order to sell the house? Or rental storage units? With time being of priority.

It's easy to buy but can be a real ____ to sell.

#11 8 years ago

My two cents and story, honesty is the best policy, I have missed out on a couple of Pins in the past year because I was too honest. The thing is the owners didn't really want to get rid of them but they were not working right. I told them what the problems were, very minor, and offered to fix or they could do it themselves. Yeah, I could have turned those Pins over and made a nice penny but for what, to feel like a jerk or dirt bag every time I saw that Pin (or person) in the future. To me it just isn't worth it. I guess it would also make a difference if it wasn't just a hobby for me. If it was my lively-hood I would tell them I could fix it and not explain what the problem was so I could at least make a few bucks.
    Anyway, my two cents...for what matters or means to others.

#12 8 years ago

I started a thread about ethics a while back. It's always interesting to read what others have to say on the subject. Overall, it seems like we have a pretty good group of people here on Pinside.

#13 8 years ago

Usually the people I meet, just want the thing gone... "It is taking up too much room!" or "We have children now... So it HAS to go!"
    Very rarely do I get the $1400 WH20 like SOME people on here...
    Joking aside-
    Honesty is always the best policy for anything you do in life.
    It just makes things easier for you and everyone around you.
    With that being said though...
    It IS 2011 and there is this thing called the "Internet" soooo- if someone is selling a A-list pin in excellent condition for stupid cheap I would probably consider it a "Clearance Item" in my mind...

Hey at least I would take very good care of it!!!

AND also-
    Who would want THIS guy picking up such a sweet AFM, MM, or TZ anyway..!

images.jpeg

Not me, my friends.
    Certainly not me...

#14 8 years ago

I work under the philosophical concept of the categorical imperative. It is the central moral philosophy of Immanuel Kant.

(Also referred to as "The Golden Rule")

I also wish I was closer to Denver.

denver.craigslist.org link

#15 8 years ago

I work under the philosophical concept of the categorical imperative. It is the central moral philosophy of Immanuel Kant.

images-3.jpeg

"Check out the big brain on Brett!"
    (Although it sounds like Brad...)

#16 8 years ago

Just trying to spice it up NP.

#17 8 years ago

That's Gilbert's machine. He sells POS MM's for $8K so imagine how messed up a $6.5K MM is.

Quoted from donjagra:

(Also referred to as "The Golden Rule")

I also wish I was closer to Denver.

denver.craigslist.org link

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

He sells POS MM's for $8K so imagine how messed up a $6.5K MM is.

So you think it would cost more than $1500 to fix it up?

#19 8 years ago

If they are asking me to look at it and price it, I am going to show them this site and he price list as well. I will make sure they know eBay is off the mark on most. I will also let them know what condition they have and what I would expect from the machine if it were mine. After all that I would give a standing offer of around 60% of the value. If it is a machine I have been looking for I will offer more. It is up to them after that.

If it is already priced and is already in . Bmy price range I will buy it without haggling. That is what happened with my CP and NGG. It was a large business that had a division that sold stuff for all the divisions. They just wanted them gone and neither of us at the time knew the values. I was not even collecting yet.

#20 8 years ago

Take-n advantage of Someone ,,,, Hmmmm !!! If the Person is Stupid and Arrogant,, Hell Yes !!

,,,,, If it's an old lady sell-n her Dead husband's TOTAN ,,, Hmmmm... Hell Yes !! LOL

,,,, But 4-real,,, I Pay Not What it's worth,, But what i think it's worth to me to make a $ on when I decide to sell it.. That's Life... Kinda like the female cow be-low.. She had it coming !!

Cow.jpg Cow-2.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Oh my, BR, you actually make me spew MT Dew on my keyboard when I scrolled down.

#22 8 years ago

Mt.Dew is Good,,, I'm drinking 1 Now ,, Money is Tight,, gotta S.T.R.E.T.C.H yr dollar !!

TOTAN.jpg TOTAN_.jpg

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

What goes around comes around. It is always better to be honest in any situation, but the pin world isn't that big of a place. If you screw people, word gets around. I've been collecting almost a year and I already have a few people I'll never deal with again, and I'll advise others not to either. I know this is a hypothetical question, but don't get yourself placed on a bunch of people's bad lists by being greedy and dishonest. There are always other pins out there.

I agree 100%.. Gett-n a deal is 1-Thing.. Flip-n it in Killer Condition is another..

#24 8 years ago

So what did you pay for the TOTAN? That machine just probably reminded her too much of him in the first place....One man's trash, another man's treasure?

Here's what I did yesterday, that's kinda along this line. Found two EM's for $925, which I want because I have zero in my collection. Aladdin's Castle, and Amigo - beautiful shape, a weak flipper or two, but I called my friend for the hell of it and asked if he'd like to help me move them. I lined up borrowing my buddy's Suburban to move them and offered to fill it with gas for the loaner. (came to $75 and I didn't have to.) I really wanted both games, but my friend took the deal of splitting the cost $500 each, and I get to pick the one I wanted. So I took AC, and he took Amigo, which is funny because if you get him drunk and talk about illegal aliens, he goes nuts. lol

He's got two kids, and loves the wiring, the hand work, the backglass art, and just can't believe something from 1973 that looks like that was only $500. delivered....well he had to help. The seller was a great guy, from the number of machines he had and the condition of them, there was no point in bartering. My friend is a little OCD, so he will pimp out his first pin...and make his kids do most of it. I could have flipped one for a few bucks or just stuck it with my other pins, because hey I found them, lined up the truck to move them, but shit this gives me $500 to put against WOZ, and maybe get two kids into pinball. We can always swap games too.

That's what pinball is all about. Spread the disease, and everyone was happy, the seller, my friend, my buddy who lent me the ride, and me. We'll have these babies running sweet in no time.

If we sell the two for $925 later after putting the cash out to fix them up, we still make out from the fun we had. And just look at the inside of these games...the wiring, the mechanics....you can't find work like that for that price today. hahahahahah good luck.

Pinball is there to do with it what we choose. So be it.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Take-n advantage of Someone ,,,, Hmmmm !!! If the Person is Stupid and Arrogant,, Hell Yes !

I know the saying is "an idiot and his money will soon be parted" (or something like that) the problem I have found is the idiots think their trashed BTTF is worth 3K. Or a Batman Forever needing a lot of work will "stay at this price no matter how long it takes to sell". Oh, and there is a guy up north who "knows this Pin is perfect, rare, and works great...because he works on them"..really? Do you know how stupid you sound? I would like to get one over on those guys...idiots!!

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Take-n advantage of Someone ,,,, Hmmmm !!! If the Person is Stupid and Arrogant,, Hell Yes !
    I know the saying is "an idiot and his money will soon be parted" (or something like that) the problem I have found is the idiots think their trashed BTTF is worth 3K. Or a Batman Forever needing a lot of work will "stay at this price no matter how long it takes to sell". Oh, and there is a guy up north who "knows this Pin is perfect, rare, and works great...because he works on them"..really? Do you know how stupid you sound? I would like to get one over on those guys...idiots!!

Exactly what I was Gett-n at.. I've make Alot of Run's out of State to Fetch a " The Pin is Top Notch " .. and when it's NOT.. The Seller see's my Bad side.. The Price Usually Drop's.. Now ,, when I make a trip like that,, I get the Seller to Put the Phone on Speaker and Fire the Pin up.. If I hear the ERROR sound's.. I get him to open the Door and Press the Black button and do some Test's.. Then we Talk.... Guard Yr-self !!!!

I didn't get that TOTAN ,, It was at my Pin Mech- shop's . I played it off and on for a week.. I didn't like it .. I did offer the Owner $ 2500.00 and pay the Repair bill,, He declined.. He later sold it for $ 2900.00 to a friend of mine.. It reminded me of the ToM that i had.. I got tired of it in a Week.. George Gomez is a Good designer,, but he's NO Pat Lawlor !!! 106_1551.jpg

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

George Gomez is a Good designer,, but he's NO Pat Lawlor !!!

I think you mean Jpop, not Gomez.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 22.50
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 99.00
    $ 28.00
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside