(Topic ID: 128942)

How high into the air would a VUK launch a pinball?

By nosro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So if you took off any wire forms and just let the ball fly, how high would it go? Anyone ever do this by accident and thus know firsthand?

#2 8 years ago

Only one way to find out...

Someone needs to do this and record a video.

#3 8 years ago

I know for a fact it will hit a 7ft ceiling.
Really depends on the coil and settings.

#4 8 years ago

I see a new viral video channel idea. Like the Hank videos. Pin.O or PinDiniculous or Pin Busters.

I might be willing to start this off right. I see a glassless game in the front yard. The height measurements are taken with sock parts. Then the coil gets swapped for a flipper coil. Next thing you know I'm removing a few windings and maybe beefing up a fuse to take the extra amps.

Would be a "learning moment"

#5 8 years ago

It depends on a lot of factors:

Type of coil
Pulse length
Voltage
Plunger style
Plunger resting position relative to the ball
Plunger resting position relative to the coil

We've done this experiment with the P3 many times, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. MarkInc is right about the 7ft ceiling... assuming you put your machine 2-3 feet below it.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#6 8 years ago

Space Jam is one of the only games I can think of that free launches the ball straight up 5" to 6"unguided into the basketball magnet then is plunged down the wireform with a solenoid plunger.

#7 8 years ago

Now that you mention it, Johnny Mnemonic also launches the ball straight up through the air. Someone needs to do a coil test and see how high JM can launch a ball.

#8 8 years ago

When the johnny hand even moves to the side, so that the vuk comes free.
It smashes the ball against the glass when launched.
And the vuk is even below the playfield.
So it can shoot it pretty high, but as written by others before, depending on what you use coil, mechanism and programming wise.

#9 8 years ago

I had forgotten I had the wireform off on my ES and was playing a game. Thank goodness the glass was off as the ball flew about 18 inches above the playfield. Luckily, I was able to catch it.

#10 8 years ago

We had the bottom playfield out of a Haunted House once, but it was still wired. The coil in the cellar can REALLY launch that ball, let me tell you.

Chris

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Buck:

Luckily, I was able to catch it.

As Jack Burton always says: It's all in the reflexes.

#12 8 years ago

2 or 3 feet up.

#13 8 years ago

The VUK on Baywatch is the tallest i can think of. I would bet that could hit the ceiling with out any trouble.

#14 8 years ago

How long is a string?

#15 8 years ago

I say take and stab the bottom five feet of a twenty foot long pipe into the ground. Interior barrel pipe dia to be 1 3/16 in. Add some vent holes, loading holes and silencer holes. Change trajectory of pipe for each shot by pulling it out of the ground and then stabbing it back at desired aim. Be sure to record trajectory of said pipe to the ground in a field manual, as well as the results. Journey to a Large Field and don't forget to bring a hat, bug spray, chair, blanket, food, cooler with ice cold beer, woman, back pack and no kids allowed. Now for the recipe - unpack your bag and mix the following ingredients in even parts - dynamite, TNT, plastics, K4, balloon filled with water & red dye #40, nitro and an ignition source. Load portion of this mix into pipe through the load holes and run far away - ASAP. Pull out binocs as you remotely detonate the ball into space. Have your assistant video the ensuing fun and share it freely with Pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-high-into-the-air-would-a-vuk-launch-a-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.