(Topic ID: 295858)

How has pinball made you better in other ways?

By dmacy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

380dash2.1 (resized).jpg
8791CB9B-789E-4FB6-8B31-8EB786D0FE8D (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I have been in the hobby for over 10 years and this has been such a positive place for me. I learned so much from so many on here. Most recently I had a bathroom combo exhaust fan/light/heater fan die.

The “neighbor” (as my pinball friends know her as my fat wife) has killed the bathroom heater. I took it out and found nothing abnormally wrong. After some digging I found the issue. A Microtemp thermal cutoff died as confirmed from a multimeter. A new replacement from Amazon came and was installed. It now is working!

I never would’ve fixed this 10 years ago. A huge thanks to all those on here. I have ha dap much help I can’t remember everyone. But a huge thanks to all who contribute or add to a post. I’m very appreciative to all those that helped teach me. I worked on cars and had a car featured in magazines and advertisements but this was a whole new level.

8791CB9B-789E-4FB6-8B31-8EB786D0FE8D (resized).jpeg8791CB9B-789E-4FB6-8B31-8EB786D0FE8D (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Off the top of my head (because it's a small project that I recently had done),
I was able to get my 1930 payphone to work properly with being in the hobby
being a big reason. I already had a transformer, a bridge rectifier, and made a
small wiper and wiper board work in such a way so incoming calls and transmitting
calls by dropping in a dime works perfectly just as it did in the old days..

#3 2 years ago

Pinball has improved my problem-solving abilities, and I have a lot more friends now.

6 months later
#4 2 years ago

I don't know if it's pinball or my boxing equipment, but in my mid 50's and the last couple of years my reactions have sped up to the point that i rarely fail to catch the things i drop. Knives caught by the handle, food caught before it hits the ground.

I can't remember being this fast before. I mean i probably was when i was a kid, but it is very noticeable.

#5 2 years ago

It's made me better at scarifying other enjoyments in life in order to be able to afford it. Expensive passion that's for sure.

#6 2 years ago

My pinball experience made me much better at flipping people off

I made many new friends in this great hobby.

#7 2 years ago

I definitely understand electricity better and have been able to fix some other things around the house that I wouldn't have known about before.

#8 2 years ago

For me its been the social aspect. Meeting and becoming good friends with
a wide variety of people. Mostly at shows and local collectors.
Steve

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

For me its been the social aspect. Meeting and becoming good friends with
a wide variety of people. Mostly at shows and local collectors.
Steve

Agreed. it's making me a slightly better person to be around and i think a little more of others feelings than i used to. Being a host of a weekly comp will do that.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

It's made me better at scarifying other enjoyments in life in order to be able to afford it. Expensive passion that's for sure.

scarify1
/ˈskarɪfʌɪ,ˈskɛːrɪfʌɪ/
verb
cut and remove debris from (a lawn) with a scarifier.
make shallow incisions in (the skin), especially as a medical procedure or traditional cosmetic practice.
"she scarified the snakebite with a paring knife"
Definitions from Oxford Languages

Hope you are not using the word for the second meaning.

#11 2 years ago

It probably helped get the job I have today. Much easier than fixing pinballs.

#12 2 years ago

Having games has made me popular with a younger crowd who like to come over and play late into the evening thus keeping my wife awake with the racket.
Spending hours on fixing games has interfered with completing the projects in my house.
I wouldn't give them up for anything.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

It probably helped get the job I have today. Much easier than fixing pinballs.

Hang on, don't you fix people nowadays? Or did i get the wrong impression?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hang on, don't you fix people nowadays? Or did i get the wrong impression?

You probably got the right impression.

I fix the things that fix people.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

You probably got the right impression.
I fix the things that fix people.

That's cool. I used to work for an American company here called Technicon. Blood analyses and stuff.

I have an easy life. I do have a customer dropping in this morning on a Saturday morning to pick up one of these stills, but packing all the parts up for an hour and loading it on his ute will be all i do besides emails all weekend.

380dash2.1 (resized).jpg380dash2.1 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-has-pinball-made-you-better-in-other-ways?hl=jrc6000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.