• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wallybgood
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I have a gameplan sharpshooter that has connection problems, some of the wires are breaking off from the original connecters. How difficult is it to replace these.

Thank clg

#2 11 years ago

No hard but if the connectors are fried you should also replace the pins on the board....also not hard but harder

#3 11 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Ed has parts and tools.

For the board learn soldering, and check through and across board continuity from the pins onto the board away from the area you worked to check your work before putting back in game.

For wires - snip off bad part, strip a little casing, squeeze on a new pin - stuff it into connector. Get a lot of extra pins ( they are cheap ) and practice at a table or work bench before doing it in a game where you might be working at funny angles.

A little practice and you'll find it fast and easy.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Thanks guys, im getting a new board from echo lake soon, but the old pins dont look fried, so i think if I just replace the connectors i'll be in good shape.

Thanks again

CLG

#5 11 years ago

I would definitely re-pin the connectors. I got one of the boards from Echo Lake for my Foxy Lady cocktail, and still had problems with some of the switches not being recognized. I re-pinned the connectors for that and problem was fixed.

Also, had the same issue on my Attila The Hun. Re-pinning fixed it.

Really, for any 30+ year old pinball, you should re-pin all connectors. Taking the time to do so now will save you a lot of head scratching and troubleshooting issues in the future!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffmd72:

I would definitely re-pin the connectors. I got one of the boards from Echo Lake for my Foxy Lady cocktail, and still had problems with some of the switches not being recognized. I re-pinned the connectors for that and problem was fixed.
Also, had the same issue on my Attila The Hun. Re-pinning fixed it.
Really, for any 30+ year old pinball, you should re-pin all connectors. Taking the time to do so now will save you a lot of head scratching and troubleshooting issues in the future!

Ok cool thanks for the advise, ill be sure to redo them then. When i bought the machine the displays were suppose to be working, this is probably why they aren't.

CLG

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/
Ed has parts and tools.
For the board learn soldering, and check through and across board continuity from the pins onto the board away from the area you worked to check your work before putting back in game.
For wires - snip off bad part, strip a little casing, squeeze on a new pin - stuff it into connector. Get a lot of extra pins ( they are cheap ) and practice at a table or work bench before doing it in a game where you might be working at funny angles.
A little practice and you'll find it fast and easy.
LTG

What are the main tools that i need to order to make the job go smoothly?

Thanks
CLG

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

What are the main tools that i need to order to make the job go smoothly?

A good crimper. Doesn't have to be the most expensive, but get a good one. Wire cutter and wire stripper unless you can do a good job with a cutter.

If you are talking for the board, learn/practice desoldering and soldering on a scrap board first. Then soldering iron and what ever your budget allows to remove solder. Solder braid, solder sucker, Hakko 808, etc.

LTG

#9 11 years ago

Not as hard as you think. I just did my first ones not too long ago. you can get all the supplies from Great plains as reccomended above, they ship fast and also refund any shipping charges that were below the actual ship cost, top notch. They also sell a great crimping tool for about 30$ I believe, just get the cheap one they have it works great unless you plan to do a HUGE amount.

Quoted from LTG:

If you are talking for the board, learn/practice desoldering and soldering on a scrap board first.

+1 on that as well, I did that too.

#10 11 years ago

Replacing the male pins on the board is easy but one thing to do before putting it back in the machine and getting mad it does not work is to check the pin connections BEFORE taking it off the bench.

If the pin holes are "thru plated holes" or have a trace on both sides with the male pin in connection make sure when you solder your new male pin in place you still have that connection. Test with your multi meter before and after if you are not sure.

Crimping new pins is simple, if you have a decent crimper and stripper handy.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

wire stripper

Best tool ever. Get one

#12 11 years ago

With the right tools and a little practice, easy.
You can do it!

#13 11 years ago

How do I figure out what size connectors to order? Meaning the mm measurements?

#14 11 years ago

Do you have othe games to compare them too?

The larger ones like seen on a bally rectifier board or basically every connector in a WMS sys 6 game are .156.

THe smaller ones like on a bally MPU board or .100.

#15 11 years ago

There is a lot of excellent information on Clay's site. Best tutorial on connectors that I have seen. Wally http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-hard-is-it-to-rebuild-connecters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.