(Topic ID: 269886)

How hard is it to find a widebody classic SS Bally super-project pin?

By swampwiz

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm looking to do a homebrew project that will be Bally based, and I want to do it with a widebody. I will be putting all new electronics in it (anchored by the NVRAM MPU board that I presume I can program my own game ROM chip in). I'd love for it to be the remnants of a parts machine as all I am interested in is the cabinet, front door, transformer (transformer only, not the power board), and the grounding wires.

#2 3 years ago

Bally only made five of the wide body early SS games - Paragon, Space Invaders, Embryon, Hotdoggin, and Future Spa. All of them are fun games, so unless they are complete basket cases, they aren't getting parted out. Future Spa is probably the cheapest of the bunch if you can find one. If you are doing a custom game, look into P-ROC as they're made for custom games. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

#3 3 years ago

HARD.

#4 3 years ago

Cmon. They come up for sale regularly

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Cmon. They come up for sale regularly

“Remnants of a parts machine”

#6 3 years ago

Space invaders probably is the cheapest/most common/worse one?
    If be looking there if yiu cant find a total parts machine

#7 3 years ago

Space Invaders and Future Spa come up for sale all the time. You should be able to pick up a project cheap

#8 3 years ago

My choice is get a Future Spa or Hotdoggin. SI has better artwork, Paragon is the best looking and a good player and Embryon is the best player's game.

#9 3 years ago

If all you need is the cabinet and transformer , you could build the cabinet and find a transformer.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

...or Hotdoggin. SI has better artwork...

Uff SI over hotdoggin '?!
    I cant think of a world where that makes sense on any level. Gameplay, art, numbers...

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff SI over hotdoggin '?!
    I cant think of a world where that makes sense on any level. Gameplay, art, numbers...

Personal opinion. I hate the Hotdoggin artwork myself. Just like Future Spa. There's a reason only 2,050 Hotdoggin were sold. It's not a bad player, but didn't draw quarters in the day. Space Invaders released just 3 months prior hit 11,400 sold. Being the lowest production Bally widebody ever doesn't make it a bad game, just a poor seller back in the day.

#12 3 years ago

There seems to be a place - VirtuaPin - that makes cabinets for folks wanting a virtual pin table. I suppose I could just tell him to make me a cabinet that is an exact copy of a Bally wide-body, but then I would need to make the backbox door, add the backing plate, get a front door, etc. UGH!

I think between getting all the little stuff and being able to cannibalize various components, it's worth just waiting for a cheaper, non-working one to come up. I've put up an ad @ Mr. Pinball. I'm in no hurry.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-hard-is-it-to-find-a-widebody-classic-ss-bally-super-project-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.