(Topic ID: 81212)

How good is xmen le now with the new code?

By dannunz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm assuming codec is done for the most part. Deep? Stay power? Fun factor?

#2 10 years ago

It's better, but I can't get over where that darn wolverine toy is. That's what kills the game for me.

#3 10 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the new code fixes the upper ramp launching the ball into the side of the cabinet during a fast obrit shot from upper flipper? This was one of Smassa's favorite features if I recall.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Can anyone confirm if the new code fixes the upper ramp launching the ball into the side of the cabinet during a fast obrit shot from upper flipper? This was one of Smassa's favorite features if I recall.

What ever happened to your Xmen LE???

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

It's better, but I can't get over where that darn wolverine toy is. That's what kills the game for me.

I agree, the code is better. Not saying that its good but better, however now we can't blame the code but for me the shots are too tight to work the code. Wolveriene doll ruins the game IMO.

Would be excellent if someone would sell a slim mod for this area.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

He foolishly sold both of them before the code was complete.

#7 10 years ago

Never understood the complaints with the Wolverine figure. He's not that close, he's behind the halfway point to the back of the machine, he's easy enough to avoid, and the beast shot is no easier nor harder to me than any shot that requires a precise shot through the pops. I also don't see how a slimmer version would change anything since there's nothing direct behind him that needs to be hit anyway. His current width doesn't change how easy or hard it is to hit Xavier or Beast. And his magnet is crazy cool!

#8 10 years ago

I agree with Kingoftron....I don't see where the Wolverine figure is any problem. Some people just get it in their head that they don't like the sight of him there.

I can relate to that feeling cause its the same way I feel about the Angus face on AC/DC pro. But XMLE has more than enough toys to make up for it if you don't like the figure. Its sure better than seeing it look like a "Mick on a stick".

#9 10 years ago

It has become a very good pin with plenty of depth and strategy. It has tight shots which reward you for good shooting, but punishes you for sloppy shots. The combo system with the dead pool implementation is unlike any other pin I can think of. It is a keeper in my collection.

#10 10 years ago

Today I made over 135 mln points - wow! Great and tough game. The Combo system, Dead pool is really nice. That's a keeper for sure!

#11 10 years ago

I find the new code to be lots of fun and demanding of my pinball time. To me this is a A list title hands down!

#12 10 years ago

A+ pin. One of Stern's best.

#13 10 years ago

If X-Men would have been released with this current code, they would have sold a lot more units. Very solid game now, plays different than any other pin imo.

#14 10 years ago

New update is really nice. The machine is a blast. Deadpool is a huge bonus.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from jetspeedb:

New update is really nice. The machine is a blast. Deadpool is a huge bonus.

After my Wolverine figure broke I remounted it a little more like the pro. It doesn't bother me anymore. In fact I usually try to avoid it unless needed for a villain or combo or Weapon X stack. No airballs off of (Massa's) Storm ramp either, fixed that awhile ago!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

He foolishly sold both of them before the code was complete.

The new code is better that's for sure. I played Sk8ball's LE and may pick up another local one this week.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I may be misunderstanding this but how can code fix a physical problem? At any rate, I have never had this happen. Do you not have the plastic guard over the ramp?

#18 10 years ago

I am still going back and forth between Wolverine and Magneto. It's crazy that there are so many of both left available from distros NIB with only 550 made it appears that a chunk of the are still sitting with game room guys, automated ect

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

It's crazy that there are so many of both left available from distros NIB with only 550 made it appears that a chunk of the are still sitting
With game room guys, automated ect

That should tell you all you need to know.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

That should tell you all you need to know.

Sort of?

It's a good game, marred by a complicated code release history that seems, finally, to be over.

Everyone has their own tastes though. But I think the last code update pushed this pin into at least 'acceptable' territory by most folks. Definitely ranks above TAV, AV, and TF.

-Wes

#21 10 years ago

Really good.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It became my LE and I hated it with a passion that no code will fix. Then it went to michaelobrien and became a Tron LE.

Turbo warned me but I could not be stopped at that time.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am still going back and forth between Wolverine and Magneto. It's crazy that there are so many of both left available from distros NIB with only 550 made it appears that a chunk of the are still sitting with game room guys, automated ect

What's a NIB X-Men LE going for now? Not hard to pick up in nice shape used for $5kish.

#24 10 years ago

There was quite a few people who dumped early. People like me could pick one up without having to buy nib and save a decent amount

#25 10 years ago

I remember NIB was around 6400 to 6600 depending on distributor (not shipped) and I don't see them liquidating them for much lower than that.

#26 10 years ago

I wonder besides GEX, Gameroom guys and Automated what other Distros have some left?

#27 10 years ago

If I ever am desperate and need to sell my pins this would absolutely be the last game I would sell. My favorite. It has a few "easy" aspects/rules/shots all the way to very difficult (great depth.) Love it.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I remember NIB was around 6400 to 6600 depending on distributor (not shipped) and I don't see them liquidating them for much lower than that.

Man, I don't see them selling unless lower than that. I guess we'll find out!

#29 10 years ago

It's freaking awesome, but don't expect it to move on the list, too many haters!! People who rated it low because of old code or broken aux boards should be going and fixing it. The games obviously got staying power. Heck people are even trading away their ACDC for it, what's that tell ya?

#30 10 years ago

there are just some people that just hate the game and no matter how much it is improved they will still hate it,I for one have bolted my magneto to the floor on the day I bought it in July 2012 and now with the new code with my apron flashing when Deadpool is hired it is just one of so many great new features
Best Stern ever produced and will never sell it ,I have never said that about another game in my 14 years collecting and going through about 80 titles, just have never felt this way about a game before or after xmle

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

It's freaking awesome, but don't expect it to move on the list, too many haters!! People who rated it low because of old code or broken aux boards should be going and fixing it. The games obviously got staying power. Heck people are even trading away their ACDC for it, what's that tell ya?

I had my XMENLE for about 8 months, when I traded it for my ACDC prem. i owned ACDC prem for about 8 months and decided I wanted XMENLE back regardless of any new updates, then before I was able to go trade back for XMEN the code came out. That was an added bonus.

Here is my take on XMEN. Its a players game layout wise. You need to be able to post pass, dead flipper pass, ect. to play the game well.

This game will make you a better player.

#32 10 years ago

I heard its horrible

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

there are just some people that just hate the game and no matter how much it is improved they will still hate it,I for one have bolted my magneto to the floor on the day I bought it in July 2012 and now with the new code with my apron flashing when Deadpool is hired it one of so many great new features
Best Stern ever produced and will never sell it ,I have never said that about another game in my 12 years collecting and going through about 80 titles, just have never felt this way about a game before or after xmle

He is speaking the truth. He has owned all the greats in collector condition.

Am i right rockrand?

XMENLE is one of my favorite games of all time. My pin history is not to bad either.

#34 10 years ago

Really enjoying it. DeadPool adds new strategy to the game

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

He is speaking the truth. He has owned all the greats in collector condition.
Am i right rockrand?
XMENLE is one of my favorite games of all time. My pin history is not to bad either.

yes you are right ,I have been very lucky to have owned just about all of the best titles and I know you have seen lot of great titles go through your hands also,Xmle have been like no other in my experience and I hope you keep your xmle for a long time

#36 10 years ago

That's XM's best attribute, IMO: the uniqueness of play.

Shots-wise it's pretty much a dead-on reversed TRON layout, but the depth of this game, the "story" it tells, the "personality" it has and how it all interacts together make it a very fulfilling (albeit sometimes frustrating as hell when I'm not having a "good" play day). It plays like nothing else out there that I can think of. Even with its flaws; it's awesome.

#37 10 years ago

Nightcrawler!

#38 10 years ago

I talked to a fellow pinhead recently, and told him I was thinking about trading back for my XMENLE. His exact words "doesn't that game suck though?" I have had this conversation with a few people. Every time its the same story, I ask if they have played it. Normally the answer is no, or once or twice.

Anyway, open invite to ALMOST any pinsider to my house who wants to try it out.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I talked to a fellow pinhead recently, and told him I was thinking about trading back for my XMENLE. His exact words "does'ent that game suck though?" I have had this conversation with a few people. Every time its the same story, I ask if they have played it. Normally the answer is no, or once or twice.
Anyway, open invite to ALMOST any pinsider to my house who wants to try it out.

Welcome to the "Pinside effect"

This game has only gotten better and better. The layout was always pretty cool and challenging. You can tell the team really had passion for the theme and characters.
I'm happy it's all coming to fruition now that the code is nearing completion.

Said before and I'll say it again.... easily some of the best work that stern has put out.

#40 10 years ago

I've had the game since day one. It used to sit and get maybe 4-10 plays a month. Now I can't get enough, I've been playing it none stop. This new code is the $hit. Just a matter of time till everyone plays the new code and rates the game different then when they first played it with the last past codes. Seems people are finally making mods to it again and hopefully a cool topper for it soon and new rule cards for it.

#41 10 years ago

I've played xmen quite a few times and just can't get into the game at all as it just bores me to no end. Hopefully the one at the Arcade "Brighton" is updated by this weekend to give it a few more tries.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Never understood the complaints with the Wolverine figure. He's not that close, he's behind the halfway point to the back of the machine, he's easy enough to avoid, and the beast shot is no easier nor harder to me than any shot that requires a precise shot through the pops. I also don't see how a slimmer version would change anything since there's nothing direct behind him that needs to be hit anyway. His current width doesn't change how easy or hard it is to hit Xavier or Beast. And his magnet is crazy cool!

I can't understand the complaints either. The usual complaint I hear is that he is too big. This is somewhat of an illusion as the lower part of wolverine, the only part that interacts with the ball, is physically smaller than a pop bumper. The "too big" argument just doesn't make any sense. In fact, the beast shot reminds me of the through the pops shot on whirlwind. No one ever complains about that one, though.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I've played xmen quite a few times and just can't get into the game at all as it just bores me to no end. Hopefully the one at the Arcade "Brighton" is updated by this weekend to give it a few more tries.

That place is very very cool! What a great selection of pins! The stern lineup is outstanding too!

Part of the problem in playing xmen at the Arcade is that you can't hear it. Much like tron, xmen is an immersive game that requires hearing it, especially through a sub and with a shaker motor installed, to truly appreciate its genius.

#44 10 years ago

This new code is awesome
Big Strp in the right direction

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

This new code is awesome
Big Strp in the right direction

Update the LE at Pinball Land?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

That place is very very cool! What a great selection of pins! The stern lineup is outstanding too!

Part of the problem in playing xmen at the Arcade is that you can't hear it. Much like tron, xmen is an immersive game that requires hearing it, especially through a sub and with a shaker motor installed, to truly appreciate its genius.

Duley noted about hearing a game as I can't play a game that has the sound turned so low you can't hear it when others are being played.

#47 10 years ago

Not sure exactly what it is, but mine seems to play much faster with v1.5. Might just be psychological

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I can't understand the complaints either. The usual complaint I hear is that he is too big. This is somewhat of an illusion as the lower part of wolverine, the only part that interacts with the ball, is physically smaller than a pop bumper. The "too big" argument just doesn't make any sense. In fact, the beast shot reminds me of the through the pops shot on Whirlwind. No one ever complains about that one, though.

It is that illusion that puts people off. They see it, and it looks big, and therefore it feels like it gets in the way. And then you don't want to shoot that way, so when you try, you're not used to the tight shot by it and plunk it. Which makes you... Rinse lather repeat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-good-is-xmen-le-now-with-the-new-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.