(Topic ID: 187980)

How good is The Walking Dead premium game play?

By Radrog

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Phbooms
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1117.JPG

#1 2 years ago

No threads on this topic. How good is the game play and code of the Walking Dead premium pinball machine.

#2 2 years ago

Not as good as the pro.
Bad design on the CDC ramp/lifting ramp wrecked it.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

No threads on this topic. How good is the game play and code of the Walking Dead premium pinball machine.

Your kidding right? There are hundreds of TWD difference threads.

Premium is better. I like the bash toy under the ramp. Lighting effects the game play on this machine significantly so you can't ignore that feature on the prem either.

Play them both and you decide.

See this thing will go just like this for pages. Search button is your friend.

#4 2 years ago

For the added cost, I don't think it's worth upgrading for the premium on this one. The lift ramp is wonky as well. Both are extremely fun, but the pro feels like a complete package already.

#5 2 years ago

Worth it all the way gameplay code lights toys are all awesome , one of the best game ever made !

#6 2 years ago

Premium owner here. My left ramp is smooth as butter with no modifications needed.

Game play is tense and challenging. Not your typical, fun pin. It's a true-to-the-theme fight to stay alive. Code is brilliant.

Premium is worth the added cost IMO.

#7 2 years ago

Had a pro for a few months and loved it, an LE came up for sale and I upgraded. The code is the best part of TWD on any version, but the added magnet in front of the wellwalker makes the game a much greater challenge and more rewarding (I could get to Horde consistently on the pro, very rarely on the Prem/LE) . The lifting ramp and crossbow are both cool and used sparingly enough to the point they aren't overused. The upgraded light show is alright but not as good as other Prem/LEs.

People that complain about the lifting ramp & prefer the pro over it because of it must have played one that was misaligned, I have no problem making the shot and it doesn't feel any more or less difficult to make than the pro.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Not as good as the pro.

Simple fix - just get the extended ramp flap. It changes the angle of the ramp to be less steep, which makes a big difference. With this fix it's practically the same as the Pro.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Premium owner here. My left ramp is smooth as butter with no modifications needed.
Game play is tense and challenging. Not your typical, fun pin. It's a true-to-the-theme fight to stay alive. Code is brilliant.
Premium is worth the added cost IMO.

Could not have said it better.

#10 2 years ago

Got a Pro and love it and its a keeper for life. Played the Premium and its awesome too but not so awesome that I'm going to sell my pro and upgrade. Cant go wrong with either.

#11 2 years ago

Ive played TWD on location few times and really like it and always walk away telling myself i want to own one. Im wondering how deep the code actually is? Is Horde and Last man Standing the wizard modes or is there more?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Ive played TWD on location few times and really like it and always walk away telling myself i want to own one. Im wondering how deep the code actually is? Is Horde and Last man Standing the wizard modes or is there more?

Terminus and siege

#13 2 years ago

Oh and xbow frenzy

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

TWD code is the perfect blend of normal modes and wizard modes. Any additional depth beyond what TWD has is not needed or even beneficial IMO. I like lists so here is the full list of modes/multiballs:
-------------- Normal Modes ---------------
Barn
CDC
RIOT
Tunnel
Arena
Bicycle Girl (not exactly normal)
------------- Multiballs ---------------------
Well Walker
Prison
Bloodbath - stackable with either WW or Prison
------------- Wizard Modes ----------------
Horde
Siege
Terminus
Crossbow Frenzy
Last Man Standing

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Not as good as the pro.

Surprised this got as many down votes as it did. I've put many games across 3 Pro's, 1 Prem, and 1LE, and though the Prem/LE are amazing games, the left ramp on each Pro I played was wildly smoother. I love when the Prem/LE G.I. does the pulsing red and stuff, and I guess the crossbow is neat, but I personally could live without the bicycle girl bash toy, especially as its inclusion on the Prem/LE made the left ramp much more clunky and rejects a lot of balls that would've made it on the Pro.

If there are Prem/LE's that are smoother, or if that ramp flap kit out there fixes the transition from the PF to the ramp, the Prem would be near the top of my wishlist. The Pro kicks ass, and the Prem adds a lot of features... but those few I played had a poor left ramp that took more away from the game play than the other features added. My $0.02.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Surprised this got as many down votes as it did.

maybe it's because the question was not about premium or pro ...the question is
How good is TWD prem !

My 2 cents.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

maybe it's because the question was not about premium or pro ...the question is
How good is TWD prem !
My 2 cents.

I get that. The response of the 2nd poster was "not as good as the Pro", which does answer OP's question (given you've seen/played a Pro). Same exact thing happens in half the GOT threads where people say the Premium doesn't have as good game play as the Pro.

If my friend asked how good is the new Metallica album and I said "better than Death Magnetic, but not as good as the Black Album", that's a valid comparison using known reference points. I read the above as the same. That's all.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If there are Prem/LE's that are smoother, or if that ramp flap kit out there fixes the transition from the PF to the ramp, the Prem would be near the top of my wishlist.

It does - you should get yourself a TWD Premium!

#19 2 years ago

I think TWD premium will go down as one of the best games of this era. The addition of the walker bombs provides the player with a way to earn complete safety in a game that can be otherwise difficult and unforgiving, which fits in with the theme really well.

Lyman's rules are balanced, and there are a pretty wide variety of ways to score points. When playing against others, you're rarely out of the game, even if you're behind, because the ruleset allows for really big one shot jackpots with the inlane X multipliers -- IF you can survive the risk of building it up.

I've been lucky in that my left ramp hasn't caused me any problems. I think the premium's left ramp does require more accurate shooting than the ramp on the pro.

Oh, and it's also really fun to goof around, turn off the high scores, set the walkers to always be on for every shot, and then compete with your friends to try and reach LMS; first one who does, wins!

#20 2 years ago

I love everything about this pin and something that is not talk a lot about TWD is the interactive of the dots and playfield lights and shots to make to kill the zombie coming at you on the Dmd ...love it !

#21 2 years ago

Both versions are great, I'd love if the had a pro+ with spinners and Walker Bombs.

Nothing wrong with TwD pro, I judge it as the best of my pins (just below Met pro).

However if you prefer the moving ramp (I don't) and crossbow etc.. the premium is the way to go.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Not as good as the pro.

Says the guy who does not own one...

TWD and AC/DC are the two premiums well worth the extra cost. Not even worth the breath to debate it. Just people being silly.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

TWD Premium is best thing Stern has done thus far in my view...amazing game. Art could be better and default sound is lame. But there are sound hacks you can install that fix the 2nd issue.

Read this review:

http://gameroomblog.com/reviews/2015-pinball-machine-of-the-year

I also suggest checking out this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

You don't have to own one to know how they play.

#25 2 years ago

Definitely worth the extra cash on this on without a doubt

Walkerbombs
Real work rails
Original style lock bar
Color changing GI
Lift ramp
Bash toy head
Extra Magnet
Spinners
Fish tank with LEDs
Full manual set
Crossbow and extra code
Drop target at Woodbury
RGB inserts

No brainer IMO on this game

#26 2 years ago

TWD and AC/DC are the two premiums well worth the extra cost. Not even worth the breath to debate it. Just people being silly.

This kind of comment has to stop. It's dickish. Ever think that he got a pro because he preferred the pro? Wow, what a concept! I prefer Metallica pro over the premium. It's not always worth the extra money for a premium for all people.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Definitely worth the extra cash on this on without a doubt
Walkerbombs
Real work rails
Original style lock bar
Color changing GI
Lift ramp
Bash toy head
Extra Magnet
Spinners
Fish tank with LEDs
Full manual set
Crossbow and extra code
Drop target at Woodbury
RGB inserts
No brainer IMO on this game

#28 2 years ago

I agree with you on Met as I owed a Mople and now own a pro. AC/DC and TWD I have premium as the added feature are just to cool on these games not to have. As for ST and Tron I went pro also

#29 2 years ago

The Premium's gameplay is primo! Love mine and no regrets in spending the extra $ for the full featured and more immersive version.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

For the added cost, I don't think it's worth upgrading for the premium on this one. The lift ramp is wonky as well. Both are extremely fun, but the pro feels like a complete package already.

Totally agree. The only thing I would say is that the Walker Bombs feature is a game breaker if you are playing for Last Man Standing. It's too bad it couldn't be worked into the Pro code to have the start button or tournament button do the same thing.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Walker bombs

This. Get a Premium, and then you can fix the L ramp flap, if needed. You can't fix a Pro to get the walker bomb features.
I wish we had a Prem/LE on location around here. The Pro is great, but the Prem/LE is outstanding.

#32 2 years ago

TWD Premium is best thing Stern has done thus far in my view...amazing game. Art could be better and default sound is lame. But there are sound hacks you can install that fix the 2nd issue.
Read this review:
http://gameroomblog.com/reviews/2015-pinball-machine-of-the-year
I also suggest checking out this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome

Very helpful answer here. Thanks!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Quoted from DNO:
Not as good as the pro.
Surprised this got as many down votes as it did. I've put many games across 3 Pro's, 1 Prem, and 1LE, and though the Prem/LE are amazing games, the left ramp on each Pro I played was wildly smoother. I love when the Prem/LE G.I. does the pulsing red and stuff, and I guess the crossbow is neat, but I personally could live without the bicycle girl bash toy, especially as its inclusion on the Prem/LE made the left ramp much more clunky and rejects a lot of balls that would've made it on the Pro.

Yeah, no problem. Downvotes don't get me "down"
And I should have elaborated more perhaps(was rushed at the time, just put the 1st thing that came to mind), because the walker bombs, rgb inserts, and even the xbow and other items are pretty cool, and could be considered great value by some. (Factory premium translite has awful glare)
But all premium/Le games I've played had some issue with the ramp. And I haven't been able to get into them and see the value because when the ramp is fucked it's just not fun.
I'd love to get some time on a proper playing LE and change my mind, glad there is an alleged "fix"

#34 2 years ago

Not alleged fix ... once done it plays smooth as glass

#35 2 years ago

radrog I suggest watching this stream for a long look at how to play it (the first part) and the rules and then hours of great gameplay footage including getting to Hoarde wizard mode:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139010062

#36 2 years ago

Well, I voted with my wallet. I should be taking delivery of a NIB TWD Premium tomorrow. I have played both on location quit a bit. I think the extra features on the premium make the game more fun and the light show feels more immersive to me.

#37 2 years ago

I prefer the PRO modded. I hate the left ramp on the premium, I think it kills the flow of the game. The constant drains also kill it for me. To each his own. Glad I have a pro.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Not alleged fix ... once done it plays smooth as glass

It's better than stock for sure, but nothing like the pro. Definitely gets to the point that the ramp is pretty much not an issue.

#39 2 years ago

Another premium owner here - just an amazing game. Of my six machines TWD Pre and GOT Pro would be the last to go, and I couldn't decide between the two. The code is just perfectly balanced, with great risk/reward decisions and excellent stacking opportunities. I almost always go Premium because money is less of an issue than space for me, but this is one where the difference is really significant, I think.

#40 2 years ago

TWD is as good as it gets code wise and integration with the theme

Horde is easiest to obtain and just a cool mode

Last Man Standing is next, I've gotten there several times and completed the mode 3 times, the dmd sequence at the end is also very cool

Terminus is an awesome and difficult mode. That and Siege are more rare for me, along with crossbow frenzy

But therin lies the beauty, there are multiple ways to play and have fun with TWD

#41 2 years ago

Playing TWD prem is intense for sure. Perfect balance of rules / reward. Hard to put into words just how good the code is and the fun you'll have, so allow me to use my stereo to enunciate.

IMG_1117.JPG

#42 2 years ago

joining the Walker premium club tomorrow! Thanks for all the insight to the game guys. Now i just need to get RandomKG's NIN/RH R rated mix to install right out of the box.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside