(Topic ID: 5604)

How far would you go (drive) to pick up a pin?

By Bigbill55

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

brucelion.jpg
    cheechanchong.jpg
    images-2.jpeg

#1 8 years ago

I'm just curious how far you would drive to pick up a pin. I personally have driven 600 miles one way to get a pin (my TFTC). To get any decent pins, I must go 150 miles one way.
    I drove 450 miles to get an arcade game, and stopped off at The Gorilla's for a little golf.

I guess driving doesn't bother me, if I really want the game, and the price is fair. I think I'd draw the line at a weekend trip, leave Friday after work, be back Sunday night.

Am I the only one who would go to such lengths to get a pin I really like? I'd love to hear other peoples adventures/stories.

#2 8 years ago

I only search for pins within 150 miles. I suppose if it was a MM for $1500 I could break that rule.

#4 8 years ago

Depends on the pin, condition and price. I'd drive anywhere I don't need a passport.

#5 8 years ago

The gorilla says thanks again and he has driven 310 one way...that's about far enough for me

#6 8 years ago

call me crazy, ill be driving somewhere around 700 miles one way on my next pickup, consisting of Fish Tales and LW3.

#7 8 years ago

I search within a 600 mile radius, but my furthest drive is 450-500 miles one way. After that the deal has to be amazingly good or the gas negates it.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from yenningcomity:

450-500 miles one way. After that the deal has to be amazingly good or the gas negates it

I don't consider the cost of gas, as I bring the family, and turn it into a mini vacation. Like bringing the wife golfing!!!

#9 8 years ago

600-800 miles round trip is about all I could stand...
    It would have to be a "once-in-a-lifetime-deal", to get me to drive any further.

images-2.jpeg

Jules:
    This is the only known unrated Bally SS playfield in existence...

#10 8 years ago

If I had unlimited money and time I would drive from NC to
    any state I had to in order to get what I want.

But since I have limited funds and time I will probably go 2-3 states
    in all directions from NC when I start buying pins 2 &3 in 2012.

#11 8 years ago

I would go probably around 200 to 250 miles for a good deal on a pin in the wishlist. Road TRIP!
    cheechanchong.jpg

#12 8 years ago

I would drive across the entire country in a Yugo wearing a Lady Gaga meat dress, with a lion riding shotgun, if I thought it might somehow tow a u-haul with a beautiful MM that I could obtain from selling off extra organs after realizing that pimping my sister was a bad idea. Sorry to stray on your thread Bigbill but Im kinda getting weirded out on owning an MM before its costs more than my home. And, I would love to see NimblePin come up with a picture of this scenario. Peace.

#13 8 years ago

Took a road trip to Reno from Fresno. 600 miles round trip. Got a very nice Shadow for 1400 about a year ago. Took a buddy so the trip wasn't that bad. Actually, it was his truck, so I guess he took me.

Worst part was getting it out of the guy's basement.

#14 8 years ago

Probably in the 250 mile range for me.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

And, I would love to see NimblePin come up with a picture of this scenario.

I will try my best SB... Stay tuned!

#16 8 years ago

Revised answer...where is the nearest SM for sale? That could be how far I would go....

#17 8 years ago

TG's got the SM blues!
    Don't worry buddy, one will turn up for you, I am sure of it.
    There is always the NIB route!
    Man, those prices got crazier than the plot of the third movie!!!

#18 8 years ago

What makes it harder is the one I get to play is AWESOME, so I probably wouldn't like one in worse shape. Thus driving the cost up, I Assume...

#19 8 years ago

I am getting my WOZ shipped to my Dad in IL and drive it to AK myself next summer. It is a 3,630 mile trip each way. The only disadvantage to being in Alaska.

#20 8 years ago

Depends.. I sold a machine last week & drove 500 mile round trip in a day.

Needs must. I'd be willing to travel over seas IF the deal is at the right price.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballParadise:

Depends.. I sold a machine last week & drove 500 mile round trip in a day.

I did not know you could go that far there without a boat

#22 8 years ago

1000 miles one way, but that was part of a vacation I was going to take anyway, so I guess that doesn't count. Just to get a pin I've driven 300 one way.

#23 8 years ago

650 miles one way was my farthest journey so far. I threw a mini vacation in there at the same time, plus the person I bought the game from is a friend of mine who has twenty something games set up to play. There is usually a big pinball party involved, so it's not hard to make the trip

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I did not know you could go that far there without a boat

.. Well you do now!

250 miles each way multiply that by 2 (two).. 500.

#25 8 years ago

I flew from England to the USA to get a Black Hole with a spinning disk because the export version available in the UK is a watered down version of what's in the US... and if you're gonna have a BH, you may as well have one with the spinning disk, infinity effect and speech!! The seller refused to crate the game for shipping, so I flew out there and stayed in his house for 3 days while I built a crate for it... I don't do silly things like that any-more!

I'm currently toying with the idea of doing an 800mile (one way) trip (from Czech to Romania) to pick up 3 pins (IJ, ToM and NF) at a reasonable price... I can only squeeze 2 in the car, so one would have to go on the roof!! I think if the price is right, then you can justify the fuel cost and time...

#26 8 years ago

I don't mind driving a moderate distance for a pin i really like..I drove from Nashville to Florida for a LOTR last year..My wife likes pinball,so we get the mother-in -law to sit for us..and make a mini-vacation out of it..

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I flew from England to the USA to get a Black Hole with a spinning disk because the export version available in the UK is a watered down version of what's in the US... and if you're gonna have a BH, you may as well have one with the spinning disk, infinity effect and speech!! The seller refused to crate the game for shipping, so I flew out there and stayed in his house for 3 days while I built a crate for it... I don't do silly things like that any-more!

I'm currently toying with the idea of doing an 800mile (one way) trip (from Czech to Romania) to pick up 3 pins (IJ, ToM and NF) at a reasonable price... I can only squeeze 2 in the car, so one would have to go on the roof!! I think if the price is right, then you can justify the fuel cost and time...

You are officially Hardcore! I salute you, that is some dedication. Not really shocking though once I saw your 54 games in your collection!!

#28 8 years ago

It would depend completely on the price & the pin. 2000 miles?

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

Depends on the pin, condition and price. I'd drive anywhere I don't need a passport.

Well said, the longest road trip for me so far is about 250 miles round trip. I have also delivered a Pin to a buyer about 320 miles round trip.

#30 8 years ago

Depends on how much time I could take off work without getting fired.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from TZ68:

and make a mini-vacation out of it..

If its not a day trip (did about 650 miles for the free bad wizard) then there needs to be some touristy stuff along the way.

#32 8 years ago

I would go 300 miles if it were a good enough deal. Regular deals are up to 150 miles.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I flew from England to the USA to get a Black Hole with a spinning disk

We have a winner! Dang, BH is cool but I dunno if it's THAT cool!

#34 8 years ago

If my deal pans out I will be driving to Spokane from Kamloops BC for a Centaur. Google says 7hrs 22mins. That would be my farthest so far.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

If my deal pans out I will be driving to Spokane from Kamloops BC for a Centaur. Google says 7hrs 22mins. That would be my farthest so far.

Good price I hope?

#36 8 years ago

Better than up here for sure, and it's from a trusted collector. I've never been there either, so I'll turn it into a little vacation. Gonna bring my 12year old boy with me too...keep me awake haha

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

If my deal pans out I will be driving to Spokane from Kamloops BC for a Centaur

Well worth the trip IMO.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

BH is cool but I dunno if it's THAT cool!

Well, the US version is simply way cooler than the crap that Gottlieb shipped out for that particular game, and I do love that game, so I simply wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't have that slow rotating disk in my mind to lull me into a peaceful slumber

I combined that trip, by the way, with a visit to the White Rose Gameroom show where I happened to meet one of the organisers before the show (forgot his name) who has probably the coolest BH on the planet... it was simply mind-blowing... he'd stripped the back of the playfield and chrome-plated all the brackets and done so many other mods that I can't list 'em... I think he said he'd spent about $10,000 on it and it took around 5 years to complete... I was speechless and overcome by a kind of God-like presence to have a game on it...

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

You are officially Hardcore! I salute you, that is some dedication. Not really shocking though once I saw your 54 games in your collection!!

Please, I can't take any form of flattery, I can only handle abuse!! Thanks though

#40 8 years ago

And, I would love to see NimblePin come up with a picture of this scenario.

brucelion.jpg

Now you are Bruce Willis, with a fashionable "meat-hat", on your way to your MM destiny!
    Congrats SB!

#41 8 years ago

I've gone 300 miles one way and would further for a good pin at a good deal. I could see grabbing a buddy and going as far as San Francisco (650 miles one way) - about the limit for me to go in a day our weekend.

#42 8 years ago

I live in SD and I would be willing to drive 150+, I check Craigslist for deals as far as Oxnard.

#43 8 years ago

I hate driving long distances to find out the pin isn't worth the time. I have to see it before I can buy it and if I've already invested 3-4 hours just to look I feel like I have to buy. Not the best way to get a pin. I'll pay extra to stay close. 2 hours each way max- exceptions made for wish list I guess.

#44 8 years ago

Im driving 100 miles this weekend to pick up a TSPP this will be my farthest trip so far. I guess the farthest I would travel would be about 250-300 miles.

#45 8 years ago

3 hour max drive one way for me. I just dont like to drive that much. The furthest I have driven was 6 1/2 hours one way, but my man LilRocky put me up for the weekend in a small beach house for the weekend if I delivered the pins we was swapping. So wife and I made a weekend of it. If it wasnt for the nice weekend, that deal probably wouldnt have happened but I couldnt say no to that! Weekend trip to OBX! Nice. Good to have pin friends.

#46 8 years ago

I'm driving 8 hrs R/T this weekend to pickup a F-14 Pin.

#47 8 years ago

700 mile round trip,so that I can pick it up in 1 day.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Now you are Bruce Willis, with a fashionable "meat-hat", on your way to your MM destiny!
    Congrats SB! []

Wow. NP, you have outdone yourself. I salute you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    $ 26.50
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 19.95
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 47.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside