Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Wiggles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed (1) (resized).jpg
    5D40F52A-3DD8-455A-9EA1-15D0BA76BB5A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0900 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0901 (resized).JPG
    Rushmore (resized).JPG
    Badlands2 (resized).JPG
    A3 (resized).JPG
    Badlands (resized).JPG
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

How far will you drive to pick up a game?
    I am not asking the longest distance, just if you saw a game you wanted, and had the cash ready, how far would you drive?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I am not asking the longest distance, just if you saw a game you wanted, and had the cash ready, how far would you drive?

If I saw a game I absolutely had to have I'd drive cross country to get it, I'm a trucker though so driving doesn't bother me.

#3 2 years ago

The farthest I’ve gone is 5 hours one way. Most of my purchases have been within approx 2hrs though.

Id be willing to do an overnight road trip in the right situation. But it would have to be a deal I where I could trust the seller and was confident in condition.

#4 2 years ago

I took my oldest and left after school on a Friday .We drove to Eastern PA and because of traffic ,got in our room at 3AM.Woke up at 7:30AM and headed for our first trip in the big Apple .Took a ferry tour of Liberty island then got a bite to eat before stopping in NJ to pick up the Family Guy pin he wanted .Left there and made it to our camper in North West IN at 3am .Slept until noon then back home to set it up .24 hour round trip and I’d imagine we would do more .

#5 2 years ago

As it turns out, about four hours each way*.

* I don't drive, and have precisely zero space for a pin anywhere in the house so instead to get a decent fix I usually have to catch a bus a couple towns over to Birmingham, and play there (usually about an hour each way). When I'm at the family house for the summer and the holidays though, my corner of the country has nothing worth going after and I instead end up going all the way down and across London to play at another location, normally taking about three hours by public transport. For the sheer variety of machines and a dirt cheap entry fee, it's worth every second of the journey though!

#6 2 years ago

Been to Detroit, Atlanta, Raleigh, Manhattan, San Antonio, Houston, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Chicago, Memphis.

Made the 2000 mile Manhattan nonstop roundtrip for Levi's CC. He didn't even fix me a sandwich!

Pretty damn far.

#7 2 years ago

Once did 1300 miles one way for Batman 66. Would do it again in an instant!

#8 2 years ago

I’d want to be back within 24 hours. That’s my max.

#9 2 years ago

Not as far as i did before at these prices.

#10 2 years ago

I’m an 8 hour round trip guy. I figure if I can work for 8 hours that I can spend 8 hours picking up a pin.

#11 2 years ago

Technically I went 16 hours one way once, but it worked out where I was staying with relatives who were 11 hours away, so I just planned a day to get up at 3am to go 5 hours one way and back to the families place. I severely miscalculated the space requirements to get both my child and my new pinball machine back, so had to get a uhaul trailer, haha. Wife wouldnt let me put the baby inside the cabinet.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m an 8 hour round trip guy. I figure if I can work for 8 hours that I can spend 8 hours picking up a pin.

Me too. I've done it a couple times, but that is about my max.

#13 2 years ago

I've done a 10 hour round trip. That was a few years ago and now I would say 4-5 hour round trip is max for me now. I'm not as impatient as I was when I first started collecting.

#14 2 years ago

Years ago 14 hours round trip for a CV. For me the trip is part of the fun.

#15 2 years ago

Anywhere in the lower 48

#16 2 years ago

To the ends of the Earth!

#17 2 years ago

did Edmonton to Denver Colorado... left 5am Wednesday morning back late Friday night ! 5400 K round trip !

#18 2 years ago

5 hours each way is basically my max. Driving, plus breaks, plus loading, plus unloading ends up being a pretty long day (probably about 13-15 hours total).

I have done 5 a few times, but most of my pick-ups were in the 3-4 hour range. It's a rare treat when a pick-up is in the 1-2 hour range.

#19 2 years ago

2 days

#20 2 years ago

Sold a WOZRR on FB.
    Guy who bought it wanted to meet in two days in the morning. I said sure, then he says great I’m leaving tomorrow morning and hung up the phone. I looked at his profile and dude was from LA! So him and his dad drove 14 hours, got a hotel, then meet me at 9amthe next morning. After playing it and a few other games we loaded the game together then at 1am he sends me a text of Woz set up in his game room. I was real impressed.

#21 2 years ago

With pricing covid and - 20 game space I am out of market presently . Back in the day 7 hour one way wouldnt phase me for something rare . If a common game I would wait for proper deal. Proper deal considered fair price for game condition not a steal off unsuspecting seller. My longest game purchase was a Ebay deal from Australia to here in Virginia. Tough to swim with a game strapped to your back ; ) !!!

Shane

#22 2 years ago

In the old days I was like you road warriors but now my red line is basically about 2 hours each way.

Just lost my taste for excessive drives and living around nyc there’s usually a lot of games for sale within 100 miles or so.

#23 2 years ago

I've been to Phoenix for Centaur
    Bend for the Big Lebowski
    But the longest haul so far was Salt Lake for Godzilla.
    I guess it really depends on how much I want the game. I would probably drive to Colorado for a nice Fathom or Scared Stiff.

#24 2 years ago

So you want to know the distance, right?

I am not asking the longest distance,

Oh, you don't want the distance.

just if you saw a game you wanted, and had the cash ready, how far would you drive?

Hhm, "how far", but not "in distance"? That sequence made me LOL...

If I can get there with only one overnight on the way, that's about the limit. There, I didn't say the distance!

I just drove to S.Dakota for a pin in the fall. Didn't hurt that the weather was much nicer than in the PNW. I like road trips anyways and stopping and ticking off cool destinations makes it feel like a mini-vacation. Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Minuteman Site, Lewis & Clark Commemorative... cool stops.

Badlands2 (resized).JPGBadlands2 (resized).JPG
    Badlands (resized).JPGBadlands (resized).JPG
    Rushmore (resized).JPGRushmore (resized).JPG
    A3 (resized).JPGA3 (resized).JPG

L

#25 2 years ago

6hr drive each way to OBX was our longest.

But it was Labor Day weekend, so make that 10hrs each way.

But Seller was majorly cool, put us up, and is now a good friend that we visit every time we go down (I have a rental property in the area, so visit quite a lot).

We have done several 5+hr trips. Got to point of really enjoying a pinball pickup road trip with the Mrs. Who knew?

#26 2 years ago

759 miles round trip in one long day. Sold joker poker 2 months later

#27 2 years ago

I wouldn't think twice about an 8 hour drive 1 way. I think my limit for drive time would be if I could do the trip in a weekend, leaving Friday after work and being home late Sunday night.

#28 2 years ago

I drove 18 hours one way to pick up a Walking Dead LE when the transportation arranged fell through. It was during a big ice storm, big heads up to Loneacer ( great pinsider) for going above and beyond with holding the game and assist with loading it.

IMG_0900 (resized).PNGIMG_0900 (resized).PNGIMG_0901 (resized).JPGIMG_0901 (resized).JPG
    #29 2 years ago

2650 miles one way, Sacramento Ca to Asheville NC last month for a BKSOR.
    We would go wherever the machine we really wanted is. Great excuse for a random vacation.

#30 2 years ago

I basically live in a pinball desert. Nearly all my pins have come the closest metropolitan area (Denver) which is a six hour drive one way. Down and back is a long day. It’s not bad of the weather is decent.

#31 2 years ago

There and back.

LTG : )

#32 2 years ago

Drove 24 hours straight RT a couple years back for a Mousin’ Around. Had a fun pinside thread and loved every second of it. Hope to do it again someday!

#33 2 years ago

For the right pin?
    In for the long haul...

5D40F52A-3DD8-455A-9EA1-15D0BA76BB5A (resized).jpeg5D40F52A-3DD8-455A-9EA1-15D0BA76BB5A (resized).jpeg

#34 2 years ago

North or west from here, 6+ hours. Had a lovely drive up to northern Vermont in the spring for a LZ LE, and also a nice drive out west towards Poughkeepsie for a woodrail. But a long drive south or east from here into the thick of the Boston-NY-Philly megalopolis with potential to get stuck in rush hour traffic and I'd rather go to the dentist, seriously.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

L

Lol, I had to reread the op 3 times. Distance but no distance. Still not sure what the intent was there, but I’ve done 26hrs RT seattle to salt lake for a trade. ton of driving - mostly done in 2 days. But a fun trip!

#36 2 years ago

Kinda far…. “The OC” (So.Cal) to Mesa Ariz., but the funny part was my transportation car for a Funhouse… a 2001 Celica hatchback! I “Beverly Hillbillied” that game all the way back! Tied down the hatch as much as I could.
    On a different note, I also once moved a super nice TZ down some stairs…by myself…and not a single nick

#37 2 years ago

Seattle area to Fresno and back over a weekend. 30 hours. Ironically, for a Cross-Town.

#38 2 years ago

Accidentally did a 23 hour trip for a free puck bowler and a total POS 4 Aces (for $30). No trailers available, finally found an open air, massive surprise thunderstorm. Had to wait it out under an overpass.
    Awful. Worst pickup ever. Then 2 miles from my house the lug nuts sheered off my car and I nearly lost a wheel.

#39 2 years ago

That is what makes this hobby so amazing! It brings family together! You got to spend that time with your kid! I get my kids off their phones, computer, tablets, and we play tournaments as a family! It’s a great way to connect!

Quoted from Kkoss24:

I took my oldest and left after school on a Friday .We drove to Eastern PA and because of traffic ,got in our room at 3AM.Woke up at 7:30AM and headed for our first trip in the big Apple .Took a ferry tour of Liberty island then got a bite to eat before stopping in NJ to pick up the Family Guy pin he wanted .Left there and made it to our camper in North West IN at 3am .Slept until noon then back home to set it up .24 hour round trip and I’d imagine we would do more .

#40 2 years ago

No longer than 45 minutes,I get car sick.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

If I can get there with only one overnight on the way, that's about the limit. There, I didn't say the distance!
    I just drove to S.Dakota for a pin in the fall. Didn't hurt that the weather was much nicer than in the PNW. I like road trips anyways and stopping and ticking off cool destinations makes it feel like a mini-vacation. Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Minuteman Site, Lewis & Clark Commemorative... cool stops.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    L

What vehicle is this?

#42 2 years ago

I left as soon as U-haul opened and I could get my trailer. 7-hours each direction and I had to tear down 8 machines and bring them out of a basement. Left at 7am and I think I got home around 1am. Long day and a lot of work but worth the run.

#43 2 years ago

I’ve done 9 hours each way on two occasions both from Melbourne to Sydney, Both times it was for my grail pins Lord of the rings and the second for Avatar, Don’t think I’m that keen to do it again, maybe for a Kiss premium but that would have to be it.

1 week later
    #45 2 years ago

1600mi.

but in all fairness , it was two

Merry Christmas everyone!

unnamed (1) (resized).jpgunnamed (1) (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #46 2 years ago

West St. Louis to Mississippi coast. Loaded the pin and drove back.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

No longer than 45 minutes,I get car sick.

Weenie

#48 2 years ago

Longest i’ve done is 12hrs each way, WV to Wisconsin for a beautiful Medieval Madness. My oldest son likes to join me on road trips, which keeps me company and my wife thinks its great. True story - just tonight he was asking when we are going on another trip so i guess i’m back on the hunt for something haha. We did a layover in Indiana keeping it to 8hrs of driving a day and even shot up into Michigan to visit Ron Kruzman and drop off a couple playfields. I’d do it over again if i had to.

#49 2 years ago

Daytona to St Louis for a Sailor Jerry. Left work at 5 pm got to the arch at 5 am. Took a nap at IKEA then picked up the machine at noon. Turned around made it home early the next day. Machine was for my wife she found a catalog in a bottle of Sailor Jerry and told me she wanted one. Took me a few years but I got it for her. Big surprise when I got home she was thrilled.

#50 2 years ago

From SE Pa to suburban Cleveland about 6hrs each way for a Time Warp

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-will-you-travel-for-a-game?hl=raedwald and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.