image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Just took possession of a Solar City last night. Much rougher shape than the craigslist ad would have lead one to believe. Of course, not terribly surprising, that's the nature of Craigslist.

I'll post pictures later today, but suffice it to say this thing is bordering on barn fresh. Mild flaking in back glass in purples primarily. Some planking on playfield, but mostly confined to the lacquer. Only a few areas minor down to the playfield paint due to planking. I suspect with magic eraser and some minor touch up it'll clean up nicely.

Cabinet marked up but not too bad. Standard mouse droppings in side cabinet. Wiring suspect. Definitely some rust on front door and many of the playfield parts underneath. Plastics definitely dirty but probably would clean up. None seem to be out right broken except for a couple of lanes guide on the field. Legs are rusted like they've been left out by the seashore, plunger too, rubber is destroyed everywhere.

My larger question is not can this be saved. It will be saved. The question is how far does one go in this hobby. Reproduction target alpha plastics are available, as is a CPR back glass. One can restencil the entire cabinet if it's too scratched up. And after playfield restore one can send it away for a $400 clearcoat job. All of this is clearly beyond what the market value of the system is even once fully restored. And none of it is staying entirely true to the original parts that were in there if you go replacing all those things.

On my Silver I did a full restore with reproduction everything (had to as back glass was terrible and plastics melted), and I'm waiting for a better Playfield from Shay to finish the job.

This is obviously more of a philosophical question, then it is time and expense . This is a hobby and I don't think anyone intends to make money at it. The larger question is how original showed one really try to keep their systems during restore and how ridiculous does one get trying to put in reproduction parts to take something that was sitting in a barn for probably 20 years and bring it back to life ? Obviously everyone has to decide for themselves, and almost certainly it is game dependent and condition dependent, but it is something I'm contemplating before I undertake what should be a massive job to get this thing back playing again.

#2 7 years ago

How much do you love the game? How much is a nice example of this game worth? Lots of variables. Figure out your cost + parts vs nice example and there you go...

#3 7 years ago

As far as you are comfortable. It is a formula of time + money = satisfied hobbyist. Since all three of those are subjective variables, and life tends to happen to you to blow up your carefully laid plans, it's all a wash.

However, doing a "full restoration" on a beater and bringing it back to a cosmetically appealing game that plays snappy and right is a really fulfilling experience. After you did what was needed, then did what was not really needed but it made a significant improvement, then did what wasn't needed at all but you couldn't stop yourself, then had to do what was left because everything else you did makes what you didn't do stick out like a sore thumb...it's a great trip to go on.

#4 7 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean. It's like going to Everest, once you've started hard to know when to turn around. Knowing my obsessive personality despite what seems logical to do for this case will end up beyond where I originally intended

#5 7 years ago

Ok let's start the horror show. Unloaded the pin legs at 11pm and knew I was in trouble

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

But wait, any pin that comes with its own free beer cans can't be that bad can it ?

#7 7 years ago

Coin door and plunger are a mess

#8 7 years ago

Playfield ain't much better but salvageable

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Ok let's start the horror show. Unloaded the pin legs at 11pm and knew I was in trouble

What's the problem? Hobbit owners paid a premium for legs with that effect.

#10 7 years ago

More playfield

#11 7 years ago

Back glass peeling in purples. Will seal for posterity but probably CPR it. Reds ok which I thought were the first to go on these older BG

#12 7 years ago

Inside (sans beer cans) better than expected.

#13 7 years ago

Finally cabinet graphics salvageable with some elbow grease

#14 7 years ago

That's all folks. Seller advertised it as"not working". Umm .... Yeah that's true but sorta besides the point. Moral of story ... Don't trust low res Craigslist pictures. Anyway can we make this work ? Yeah I think we can. It's got good bones here

#15 7 years ago

I agree. The game has some good bones. I think that'll clean up surprisingly nicely, honestly. Rust is a non-issue. Grab some evapo-rust and dunk the coin door and legs into a bucket of the stuff. The playfield isn't too shabby either. Some novus 2 should buff it up nicely. The backglass is pretty legit considering it's been neglected for so long.

Solar City (and El Dorado and all those other games that shared the same playfield design) are all such good playing games. I'm glad this game fell into some good hands.

I'd dig in just deep enough to get this game looking as good as you can get it with whatever elbow grease you've got. Games that have nicks and other imperfections have character. Nice find!

#16 7 years ago

Yeah I was dreading it to begin with but now looking forward to it. It's a challenge isn't it

#17 7 years ago

Back glass in more detail

#18 7 years ago

ugh ! Anyone got a spare ?

#19 7 years ago

Still finishing this one up and about halfway done, but it didn't start much better. Lots of scoring issues and some paint to work out

#20 7 years ago

So anything is possible

#21 7 years ago

The backglass looks great, the playfield is great too. Mostly it looks like it just needs a decent cleaning and a new stepper. The cabinet is probably the roughest part of that game. If you only paid a few hundred bucks, you could have done a lot worse. Granted, it is always better when it is just a fuse.

#22 7 years ago

$300. Not a steal, not a ripoff. Should give a couple months of fun and I've always wanted to own an el dorado, target alpha, solar city given the layout. Updates to follow over the next few weeks.

#23 7 years ago

Man I am really glad there are people like you out there bringing these machines back to life. I wouldn't know where to start

#24 7 years ago

Actually I'm sure you have the skills as well because everything I know is by reading these awesome forums and pinrepair.com. 2 years ago I was scared of any EM or even doing a playfield restore for that matter. I turned to the EMs because you have to appreciate the amazing elegance and engineering of these machines. Just a bunch of switches, solenoids and wire and these guys made magic happen well before we had microprocessors.

#25 7 years ago

Your time, your dime. Me, I could wipe that baby down and be happy. On the other hand, if it was a game I really liked and space was an issue. I would throw the dollar sign out and do a complete restore. Restoring a game for money isn't worth it. Restoring a game for pride and joy is what it's all about. put your left foot in and shake it all about.

#26 7 years ago

Not had planking this bad before. Wanted to peel back the wallpaper and see what's underneath. Reasonably happy. As you can see still hairline cracks in paint +/- remaining lacquer, but at least linear dirt is gone. I'm a little worried by the red having few areas down to paint (white dots in photo). No yellow on magic eraser yet. If I go further do I get rid or the hairline cracks themselves (by removing lacquer if that's where they all are) or am I just digging down to paint itself eventually and the cracks go thru all layers anyway ? Not trying to be a purist here, but if I'm removing the lacquer anyway with Magic eraser just wondering if the planking crack aspect is in the paint itself or just the top layer lacquer.

#27 7 years ago

Before is bottom one, after first two

#28 7 years ago

Your game is definitely a restoration candidate, well worth the investment of time, effort and funds. It's a Solar City! The backglass and playfield look good to me. The coin door and cabinet will clean up just fine. I would keep the cabinet original and just touch it up. I'm not sure that rust remover and steel wool will sufficiently restore those legs. They might be severely pitted from the corrosion. I suppose that it's worth a try. However, I would probably just order a new set of legs, leg levelers and a new shooter rod plate from Pinball Resource and dedicate my time to the playfield, the cabinet and the electronics.

As an aside, a couple of years ago, a guy at Home Depot was selling solar energy panels for the Elon Musk company, Solar City. Naturally, I told the guy that his employer's company was named after a pinball machine.

#29 7 years ago

How far should you go?

All the way!

#30 7 years ago

I've been down this road before... sinking a ton of money and time into a game, and then selling later... didn't feel like I was shafted or disappointed really, I kept the game for a long time, showed it off at some pin shows, and then parted ways at a $ loss. I learned a lot about restoration (hard to put a $ figure on that), and brought a game back from the dead to boot. If I had to give any advice, I'd get the game going 100%, then if you like it/want to keep for a good while, then make the decision on what your next step(s) will be.

Don O in MD

#31 7 years ago

Yeah it's gonna clean up nicely. Just have to be real careful with Magic Eraser not to overdo it.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Just have to be real careful with Magic Eraser not to overdo it.

I wouldn't even use a magic eraser. That'll take away the clearcoat--or whats left of it anyway. I think some Novus 2 will have enough abrasive to get it looking good again. That's just me though. I'm not terribly picky with my games.

#33 7 years ago

My intention is to apply multiple wax layers when finally done and eventually once I am happy enough clear coat the final playfield. I know that magic eraser is controversial for some. I just like the look so much better. But I'm trying not to get too crazy here. Perfection is not to be had for this playfield. Sure would be nice if there were some reasonable clear coat options that didn't cost an arm and leg. That's my next adventure though, and will try it first on a trashed playfield to be certain I know what I am doing before clearing this one.

I will say that some of these swirls are quite dug in and as you can see even with ME I am not getting rid of all the dirt due to planking. Just too scared to go all out and leave no paint to speak of.

#34 7 years ago

Personally, I say go as far as you enjoy. I'm restoring an F14 right now, and all in I'll likely have 3k in it before i'm done. That's triple the going rate for one.

However, i'm enjoying the process and learning new things. I'm not rushing, and just doing a bit here and there at the end of the day while I enjoy a cold one.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Personally, I say go as far as you enjoy. I'm restoring an F14 right now, and all in I'll likely have 3k in it before i'm done. That's triple the going rate for one.
However, i'm enjoying the process and learning new things. I'm not rushing, and just doing a bit here and there at the end of the day while I enjoy a cold one.

Maybe that explains the beer cans in the back. Someone may have beat me here and gave up in frustration. I totally hear what you are saying and couldn't agree more. My wife on the other hand might take more issue with the time and more importantly the cash involved in these endeavors

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

My wife on the other hand might take more issue with the time and more importantly the cash involved in these endeavors

Remember it is a HOBBY. At the least she will know you are in the shop/garage and not out with the guys. Take time with this pin, there is lots to do. Rust, dirt, missing parts, and damaged parts. You should be able to find a used player unit, or at least a new Bakelite part from Pinball Resource.

Clean it up, get it running, just doing the basic. Then decide on other things like back glass, playfield plastics and/or a full playfield restoration.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

. Sure would be nice if there were some reasonable clear coat options that didn't cost an arm and leg.

Have you considered Spraymax 2K? I just spray outdoors. Respirator mask, goggles, nitrile gloves. Set it up on a saw horse, level it out... Good to go. No booth or anything. I know it sounds crazy, and it is. I'm taking a lot of risks, but I just wait for a perfect weather day with low humidity, reasonable temp & no pollen or other stuff flying around in the air to do it. I haven't had any bad luck yet with bugs landing in it or birds shitting on it.

2 cans of the stuff costs a little over $40 shipped. I already had the safety gear, so it doesn't get much more reasonable than that. Done quite a few PFs this way with good results. Obviously, it isn't pro-level stuff, but I am more than happy with the results. I've gotten better with it now too, I trust it and my technique enough to put 30+ hrs into a PF restore job and spray it without worrying at all.

#38 7 years ago

Those beer cans look as good as the day they were thrown in there. I'd restore them back to factory fresh complete with 12oz of NOS fluid. The game looks like it'd be worth it too. Gotta love all those drop targets.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

My wife on the other hand might take more issue with the time and more importantly the cash involved in these endeavors

Eh, a grown man should be able to do what he likes to do and put away cash for it from his own salary without permission from the wife, i bet she is perfectly fine spending cash on her interests

Just dont surprise her with some 5-6 pinball projects more at once though.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Eh, a grown man should be able to do what he likes to do and put away cash for it from his own salary without permission from the wife, i bet she is perfectly fine spending cash on her interests
Just dont surprise her with some 5-6 pinball projects more at once though.

To be fair to her, that is indeed the problem. She actually encouraged me to get a pin several years ago, but didn't envision it turning into 7 machines, now expanding to the garage. She'd be fine if I sold a project or two. Her exact words were something to the effect of "if another pinball machine shows up at our house without you having gotten rid of one before it, I'm taking a sledge hammer to it." Note this is not a violent, but in fact the most even keeled woman I know. But I guess the thought of her house being taken over by pinballs can incite passion.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

"if another pinball machine shows up at our house without you having gotten rid of one before it, I'm taking a sledge hammer to it."

Must be a girl thing. My girlfriend says the same thing... Except it's more along the lines of "Oh yea, Max?! Just where do you think you'll be putting THIS one now? Didn't you tell me you were going to sell two of them last month?? What would you do if I just smashed them all??"

#42 7 years ago

Oh, it's me or the pinballs? Gee I'm goin' miss you sweetheart, let me help you pack!

I'm brave when she's not here!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Must be a girl thing. My girlfriend says the same thing... Except it's more along the lines of "Oh yea, Max?! Just where do you think you'll be putting THIS one now? Didn't you tell me you were going to sell two of them last month?? What would you do if I just smashed them all??"

Don't live with my girlfriend of quite a while yet (long distance dealio, hasn't actually played the machines yet but is coming to stay for a while in June and hopefully move in, in December-ish) and although she's cool about it (probably would be in any young relationship) she's like "Another one? Where is this one going? Where are you getting this money?" however in a very neutral "eh" tone but the same questions my mom not-so-as-calmly asks me are starting to come from her, I guess it's a matter of time before it starts heavier.

Right now I'm the type of person who can literally spend all day devoting my time to these things since I'm young and ambitious and I only get time to work on them/play them 3 days or less every other week as they're stored away from home in another house, but once I had to start splitting my time up "fairly" (which apparently means two different things to both of us, hah) for a relationship it's hard. Luckily don't have the nagging wife yet about more machines/too many machines but damn me if I spend too many hours in the basement and not on Skype! This love stuff is hard.

If we ever break up and I'm not around for a month, don't worry, I'm probably just installing my new sleeping bag and mini-fridge in the basement as I make up lost time LOL. I can easily pinball for hours. Living away from the machines is awful especially when you're troubleshooting a problem and need to check something, or when you found the solution online it's even worse.

#44 7 years ago

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

Looking 100 times better. Will need only minor touchup in these tiny pinpoint areas mostly in reds. Most problematic is this planking but pretty straightforward I think given the solid colors. Still not done with cleanup but a very good start I think.

#46 7 years ago

Just for before and after

#47 7 years ago

I decided to not be uber aggressive on some of these ball swirls even with magic eraser in hand. I was just going to be asking for trouble and wrecking the playfield. Almost entirely left swirls in purple because much less noticeable. Red got some pinpoint paint loss even with just trying to wipe with simple green which tells me the pinpoint paint was going to go anyway. And where the planking is (without the paint loss) I am just accepting that it is what it is. Overall this will be a great player when done

#48 7 years ago

You gonna paint the small "woodchips" too? Looks like you are lucky in that regard, just small ones in easy spots.

#49 7 years ago

So as to the issue of how far to go I've decided to leave this pin alone as much as possible other than cleaning up things and doing a couple minor dot touch ups in the solid paint. And I'm not going to clear it just multiple layers of wax.

Basic feeling is that it's better to show its age and the fact it was clearly in the elements for many years rather than pretend its pristine. It will still make for a nice pin, and yet another one not in some landfill.

#50 7 years ago

Always surprised what a little simple green and Novus 2 can do against 40 years of dirt and neglect

Before

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-to-go-on-a-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.