(Topic ID: 230588)

How far to go on a Player machine restore? Suggested price?

By Billc479

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Billc479
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

OK - working on a Dealer's Choice EM. Very dirty, planked playfield, some fade, inserts falling out. Planning on replacing all rubbers and pop bumper caps, rebuild flippers, relamp with #47s. Normally, I remove everything from the playfield, then clean and wax, reassemble. Since this thing is so dirty and planked, I am thinking about NOT removing the posts, rollovers, and standup targets, just work around those with the Novus and wax. Arch, flippers, and launch assembly already removed.

Am I causing more work by NOT removing everything, which gives me a chance to hit the playfield with a 6" buffer, or go ahead and clean and buff by hand? I want to get this done before Christmas - I figure this might be an intro machine a family would want, so I want to move quickly. (10K by Xmas, LOL!)

Pinside doesn't show a price, so I'm not sure where to price it at. I know how much I will have in it (Not counting labor, of course), so I want to at least break even.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

which gives me a chance to hit the playfield with a 6" buffer

I'm not sure using a buffer on a planked playfield would be a good idea. I would think it would be likely to cause damage. I pretty much always buff by hand. Easier to make a mistake with a power tool.

Quoted from Billc479:

Am I causing more work by NOT removing everything

Maybe. It depends on the layout. I've tried to get away with not removing everything on older games, and it just ends up being more work since you can't always access every area easily for cleaning. And it's obvious when you leave certain areas uncleaned.

Quoted from Billc479:

Pinside doesn't show a price, so I'm not sure where to price it at.

To me, the layout isn't particulary interesting and the artwork makes me cringe. Just based on those two things alone, I wouldn't pay very much for it.

There have been a few projects listed in the past:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=1897

Cleaned up and working...maybe $300-$400, depending on how bad the planking looks. If you put $500-$600 on it, it may sit for a while.

#3 5 years ago

Force -

Thanks for your thoughts. You're right - faded hot pink with planking doesn't look good. Looking close, some of the areas I will not be able to get to, and they would be visible at the right angles. I think I will probably remove the posts, and carefully work around the targets and rollovers. I can break even in the middle of your estimate, so if I get 'er done within the next week or so, it may have a new home for Christmas.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-to-go-on-a-player-machine-restore-suggested-price- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.