Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by cleland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Yesterday i drove 3hrs each way, and spent $110 in fuel (full size dodge with a 360). to buy a MINT silverball mania. i want one of these sooo badly. however when i showed up NOTHING worked, 2 score displays and the credit and ball count dident work, back lights dident work, and nothing worked on the play field but the bumpers.I was able to get the game to start but it just kept playing 11 balls later it still never reached game over.Mint my ass!!!
    Tobad, couse the back glass and playfield were in very good shape.but he still wouldent drop the price of $700 cdn. i had to leave it, broke my heart. It will never leave that cold dusty old basement.

#2 12 years ago

I drove 3 hours each way and $135 in gas (Ford E-350 cargo van) about a year ago for a Lethal Weapon 3. It was my first pin. It worked when I got there but was not in the best shape cabinet wise. Playfield was perfect and operation was too as I mentioned. I paid $750. Percentage wise $135 in gas for a $750 machine was not a smart move on my part I guess. However, the machine has been great to me and outside of a switch or a few bulbs, stress free.

So...I guess it depends how bad you want it after you arrive and actually place your eyes on it. Everything up to that point, like phone calls, email text, email pictures, classified ads, does not really matter until you actually see it. At that point I figure everyone knows instantly if it was worth the drive and if to fork the cash over or to walk away. If you walked, it must have been for a reason. However, if some regrets about now...maybe call the seller back and offer one more time. At least this time to can bargain remotely with confidence since you already seen the machine!

Just a thought!

#3 12 years ago

Drove 6 hours round trip for a 'mint' Pin*bot...The way it was described was HUO. Got there and worn to the wood in several places, broken ramp....But the cabinet was the cleanest I'd ever seen, it worked and so I explained the deficiencies and left with the game at a good price.

#4 12 years ago

Drove a couple hours for a Flintstones that was described as mint. Was not mint as I had to replace a dinged rail, the leg levelers needed to be replaced, and some bulbs were out. Despite not being mint it still turned out pretty good!

#5 12 years ago

2:30 hours each way for a mint RFM. Didn't realize "mint" meant a screw through the PF. Guess everyone's interpretation of that word may vary.

#6 12 years ago

8 hours round trip for a POTC. It was mint too. Kid was selling it for his mom. Dad left town and never came back home. Sad to hear that. I helped them out, they got CASH!!!!

#7 12 years ago

drove 8 hrs each way for my wh20 and wasnt mint LOL

#8 12 years ago

12 hours round trip for a NIB BBH.

#9 12 years ago

I will drive just about anywhere if I really want it. 30hr round trip for WH20 and HS2 last month, not mint but very nice. I have even drove from KC to Detroit for a Bally Lost World. Gotta love pinball.

#10 12 years ago

5.5 hr round tip to get Baywatch. Traded Colt 1911($800 gun I got for about $575 a few years earlier) for game + about $90 for gas. I'm happy.

#11 12 years ago

My longest trip was 12+ hours and ~700 miles each way for a WWF Royal Rumble and a Apollo 13. I drove from Columbus, Indiana to Panama City, Florida.

Granted, it was years ago, and gas was cheaper. Not the greatest titles, I actually was just after the Royal Rumble, but the A13 was priced right once I got there. It was missing several parts and had water damage, but I was able to part it out for a significant amount of money. I tried to find the parts for quite awhile with no luck.

The trip, IIRC, was in November, and it was hard to come back to Indiana from Panama City. Went straight down, loaded games, came straight back, pausing only briefly around Nashville, TN to take a short nap on the way home.

#12 12 years ago

I can drive less than 1 hr to get a NIB BBH right now.

Longest trip so far was 45 mins out, really took more time to load and unload than it did to drive with the machine. I wouldn't call mine mint, I would call it HUO+

#13 12 years ago

lol I drove 2 hours each way just to play one... And that was 2 weeks in a row.

#14 12 years ago

I think my farthest was my most recent, CSI at 650 miles, 12 hour round trip (in 1 day).

Close to that would be my first, Stingray at 620 miles, ~11 hour round trip (over 2 days).

Driving that far for a Stingray was silly in retrospect, but the overall experience made it well worthwhile.

Thankfully both games were as described. Both were purchased by well known "good guys" in the hobby, which always makes it a safer bet. I don't think I'd make that kind of trip without that peace of mind, unless it was a really smoking deal on a machine I just had to have.

#15 12 years ago

I drove 11hrs round trip to get my TSPP, not mint but close enough for me. The cab was worn around the flipper buttons, the upper pf ramp has a crack but everything else is in excellent shape. Was well worth the trip and got to see some beautiful scenery along the way. Who knew NE TX was so purdy!

#16 12 years ago

Just did a 12 hr round trip for a near perfect 24 well worth the ride.

#17 12 years ago

I drove 12 hours one way to bring home NIB IM.

#18 12 years ago

1200 miles round trip. 20 hours driving for my TFTC!

#19 12 years ago

I made about a 15min detour (around 6 miles) to pick up a NIB Tron LE... apart from that I've never had a mint pin...

#20 12 years ago

I drove a little over an hour each way to trade my Williams IJ for a HUO SM.

#21 12 years ago

More than 600 miles round trip for a sweet ToM with all the upgrades/mods.

#22 12 years ago

I sense the common theme here is that PEOPLE ARE FUCKING LIARS and you shouldn't drive too far for a pin which might end up dissapointing you.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheStranger:

I sense the common theme here is that PEOPLE ARE FUCKING LIARS and you shouldn't drive too far for a pin which might end up dissapointing you.

that is for sure! demand a ton of pics before driving that far only to be setup for disappointment

sad thing is these sell so quick usually someone else will be on it before you get to it.

#24 12 years ago

Just last February I drove 6 hours each way (spent the night though) for my CV.
    It was well worth the trip for the condition and price. Seller was super kind and let me play some of his other machines too. The only downside was the 6 hours back looking at it wrapped up in the back of my truck with a grin from ear to ear. I arrived home with perma-grin

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-have-you-driven-for-a-mint-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.