(Topic ID: 118321)

How far gone is to far Restoring updates Game is now done!!!

By Tilt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Adam_Wells
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08585.JPG
DSC08604.JPG
DSC08603.JPG
DSC08601.JPG
DSC08600.JPG
DSC08599.JPG
DSC08598.JPG
DSC08597.JPG
DSC08594.JPG
DSC08596.JPG
DSC08595.JPG
DSC08593.JPG
DSC08592.JPG
DSC08591.JPG
DSC08590.JPG
DSC08589.JPG
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Just trying to make the decision if this game is to far gone. Its not a keeper game for me so i dont have that going for me, but i also like a challenge once in a while.

The pros,
well, not really many of them, in fact, other than having it here I really dont see any

The cons,
well its kinda dirty, well, really dirty

missing a couple parts, OK, alot of parts, so far i have noticed the following missing

playfield glass, but i have some

shooter rod......now have one

lockdown bar, i happen to have one

only a coin door frame, no actual door,.....now have one

almost all the boards, but i happen to have a spare working set from a rescue 911

all 4 flipper assemblies (have been cut out and have nothing, the whole assembly is gone) and i have none of these.......now have these

3 smart switches, i dont have any........ Now have these

no dmd or speakers (but i have the full panel from a rescue 911... Now have these

SO thoughts, do i go ahead and bring it back, part it out, or another option is that i know someone that wants it to make a test bed out of,

DSC08342.JPGDSC08342.JPG
DSC08343.JPGDSC08343.JPG
DSC08340.JPGDSC08340.JPG
DSC08341.JPGDSC08341.JPG

#2 9 years ago

I wouldn't mess with it. Sell as parts machine or part it out.

#3 9 years ago

Make somebody a deal on a project and have a clear conscience that you did your best to save a game?

The parts aren't worth much anyways.

#4 9 years ago

Holy f---ing s--t!!!

That was too far gone in, like, 1991. You're a better man than me if you try to get that back in shape.

(You're probably even a better man than me if you don't.)

#5 9 years ago

That is just dirty, Soak a towel, or micro-fiber rag with soap and water. but squeeze out excess.
Have another clean, dry rag and soak up what's left right behind it,
You will need to take off the plastic's for a 100% job,
After that, take some novus 2, wipe on, wipe off,
then a coat of wax, and it will look great.!!
I bet this thing shines when done.

#6 9 years ago

It's probably just a fuse.

#7 9 years ago

And a dab of Novus

#8 9 years ago

[after Spicoli wrecks Jefferson's car]
Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!

Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Don't listen to the egghead's above...(or right below,lol)
That is just dirty, Soak a towel, or micro-fiber rag with soap and water. but squeeze out excess.
Have another clean, dry rag and soak up what's left right behind it,
You will need to take off the plastic's for a 100% job,
After that, take some novus 2, wipe on, wipe off,
then a coat of wax, and it will look great.!!
I bet this thing shines when done.
I have seen these a thousand times, gold is underneath....

actually, the playfield does have a nice shine by wiping it down, and there is no wear on it anywhere

DSC08345.JPGDSC08345.JPG
#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's probably just a fuse.

winner winner, you figured it out. thanks for the tip to check the fuses. once i fix them i bet its up and going you.

you might be an old dirty bastard, but your a smart one. Bryan, how much for me to drop this off to you for a restoration. how about 200 bucks and a six pack, well at least 3 of the six pack because ill stay and drink with ya. Ill even drink only 2 of them if you will pick it up from me at MGC

DSC08346.JPGDSC08346.JPG
#11 9 years ago

A layer of grime can certainly sometimes disguise a gem. Looks salvageable to me, though it may take a few scavenger hunts to collect everything that's missing.

Coin doors, shooter rods, DMDs, and lockbars are common enough, so they shouldn't be unobtainable.

PBR still caries smart switches, I believe.

The translite is still available from several sources.

Most of the flipper parts can be obtained through PBR, including the base plates.

I'd say it's easily worth saving.

Heck, I'd be happy to take it off your hands if I weren't several states away. It looks like a lot of the unobtainable parts are still on the game and it's just some of the common parts that were stolen off of it.

#12 9 years ago

I bought a White Water that looked pretty much like the same dirt. Came off very easily and was a true gem underneath. Give it a shot at cleaning...you might be surprised.

#13 9 years ago

I wish I had the link to a video I saw about some guys in Europe spraying down an entire, populated playfield with cleaner. They soaked it, scrubbed it , hosed it down and then blew it dry.
Came out really clean. That's exactly what this one needs.

#14 9 years ago

I've seen worse restored. For a money flip, probably never worth it in a million years. But if you enjoy the process, go for it!

#15 9 years ago

I guess my initial suggestion was also taking into consideration the title. For the experience yeah I guess it would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

#16 9 years ago

Seems like a solid project! These are the kind of turds I look for all the time and never seem to find.

#17 9 years ago

Parting it out would likely take more time to do a restoration. Plus who knows if/when any of those Gottlieb parts would sell.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Seems like a solid project! These are the kind of turds I look for all the time and never seem to find.

Chicago is not that far. Make me an offer while I'm undecided

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I wish I had the link to a video I saw about some guys in Europe spraying down an entire, populated playfield with cleaner. They soaked it, scrubbed it , hosed it down and then blew it dry.
Came out really clean. That's exactly what this one needs.

I think the dirt help preserve them, keeps the UV away from the paint.

#20 9 years ago

you get her up and runnin' and I will donate a custom shooter rod for the preservation of pinball. Anybody else want to donate apart to keep her alive ?

#23 9 years ago

I would definitely rescue that.

#24 9 years ago

Machines like these are my favorite. All that dirt can hide a fabulous playfield, and it looks like you have a winner!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

» YouTube video
I think the dirt help preserve them, keeps the UV away from the paint.

While that is a cool video, it's not the one I was thinking of.
I searched a little last night but couldn't find it.
It was a while ago, can't remember where I saw it. Rgp, klov forum?
It was definitely a newer bally/williams and it was overseas.
They used a hose and every comment was like omg are they really doing that.
Now I'm on a mission to find it.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I can't wait to see it. I've yet to try it myself. I got a Big Ben in the garage that's begging for it. I want to get it up and playing first, then clean it so I can tell if anything gets damaged. When I was in the Navy they were doing a ship to ship transfer of equipment and a Zenith 248 (286 PC) fell off and dropped to the bottom of the ocean. Because it was a classified computer they had to send a diver down to get it. When they got it back they cleaned and dried it and it still worked.

As long as you dry it off before you use it, I don't think cleaning them like this would damage them, but it does seem counter-intuitive.

#27 9 years ago

I saved a SFII before, wish I had left it dead, all that work and I found the game is aweful.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

winner winner, you figured it out. thanks for the tip to check the fuses. once i fix them i bet its up and going you.
you might be an old dirty bastard, but your a smart one. Bryan, how much for me to drop this off to you for a restoration. how about 200 bucks and a six pack, well at least 3 of the six pack because ill stay and drink with ya. Ill even drink only 2 of them if you will pick it up from me at MGC

DSC08346.JPG 202 KB

I'm already bringing back another game from MGC but I'd have room for this one. Might take me a while to change the fuse, though. You'd have to arrange pickup. Beer would be payment enough.

#29 9 years ago

Another "IF this can be saved" - my first thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-rehab

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Another "IF this can be saved" - my first thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-rehab

Wow.. I thought mine was bad, that takes bad to a whole new level of nasty.

#31 9 years ago

Troy,

If you can leave the speaker panel with it and the lockdown bar with it, and have the ability to get it to MGC, I would be interested in it as a candidate to bring back to life. It would obviously have to be dirt cheap, but I hate to see a System 3 go by the wayside. this is one of the few System 3s I haven't had in the collection.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

#32 9 years ago

With the parts you have...save it

#33 9 years ago

If the rest of the playfield looks as decent as the bit you exposed already, and given the parts you already have on hand, I'd absolutely take a crack at saving that one.

#34 9 years ago

If it was cheap I would take it and fix it up. Then again I actually want the game again.

#35 9 years ago

Man, let me start out by saying I try to save EVERY single game possible, even if I end up breaking even or losing money... But, if someone gave me that game for free with no boards, it would be parted out for sure. There are a TON of great System 3's worthy of your Recue 911 board set that are 100% worth saving, way before this title. A friend of mine has had two complete SFII's for YEARS that he swears he will never restore because the game is just that bad. After playing it a dozen times at expo last year, it is one of the worst DMD games that was made at that time in pinball.

Now, if that was a classic Bally or Stern, I would be cleaning up right now!

#36 9 years ago

If anyone has an sf2 they don't feel like restoring let me know. I would love to have one to tinker with again.

#37 9 years ago

They're never too far gone. It all depends on your motivation.
My "trashed" woodrail cost me $150. Some wouldn't even want it if it was free.

#38 9 years ago

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw that and thought, 'Oh, that looks fun. I can do it!'. Be interesting to see your progress on it!

#39 9 years ago

It wouldn't hurt to clean it. I would think it would increase its value if selling for parts.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It wouldn't hurt to clean it. I would think it would increase its value if selling for parts.

Yep, parting it out still requires the cleaning aspect. Once clean, it would most likely change your viewpoint. Besides, installing a shooter+glass+lockdown bar+boards is only a couple hours of effort once you have the parts. Then you are on to normal game troubleshooting.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

you get her up and runnin' and I will donate a custom shooter rod for the preservation of pinball. Anybody else want to donate apart to keep her alive ?

I'll play. I will donate the translite. Anyone else?

#42 9 years ago

Looks like a good candidate for a P-ROC rebuild!

#43 9 years ago

From what you've shown already, it's definitely worth stripping the party off and cleaning the playfield. Sounds like you have most of the major parts from Rescue 911.

#44 9 years ago

Gottlieb smart switches are $12 to $18 at Marco. Not sure which you need. But $36 to $54 for three.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=A846291534973B545AD1F35D27ABDE89.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=smart+switch

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I also remember some pics of a French doing that to MM. I will post the pics if I ll find them.

#46 9 years ago

Id mess with it for free, any money would go towards parts

#47 9 years ago

I'd save it. I like big projects.

#48 9 years ago

Save your time and money, toss it up for sale and wish the buyer luck. If someone is young and new to the hobby with a limited budget, this is a great way for them to have sweat equity into the game, learn a thing or two and save some cash.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Jopper:

Gottlieb smart switches are $12 to $18 at Marco. Not sure which you need. But $36 to $54 for three.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=A846291534973B545AD1F35D27ABDE89.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=smart+switch

I would try PBResource first...Marco is expensive.

#50 9 years ago

Well, I talked with Steve Young some today, and after talking with another friend ive basically decided to call my self an idiot and do this just for the hell of it. So this game is going to be brought back to life.

Ill post some updates on this thread just for the fun of it. I like to make goals for projects, and the goal for this one is to have it done and maybe take it to MGC in April. If i get the parts in time this should be a reasonable goal. Ive located a few used parts and im hoping the guy can ship them out quickly so that i can look over the parts before i place a order with PBR.

Couple people have offered a few of the parts, and if your serious about it, thats awesome, ill need a few other parts that im hoping to find used just to keep this project at least at a break even point

right now the one part ill need to find used is a coin door. I currently dont have one, so if someone has a door please let me know

thanks for the post on this, its several of the post here that made me decide to try it and go for it

troy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-gone-is-to-far-gone-decisions-decisions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.