Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Blake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BFE18D45-D57D-4E99-B0A1-BF176AB1F3AC (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I’m curious on how far some others look for a particular game. I look at my local CL, and nearby areas up to 10 hours away. I have even looked way down south, as I’m planning a road trip to S. Cal in late August-if my bro can pick a date that he’s getting married..I think that 1400 miles is my limit! And w the Canadian $ sitting where it is, shipping just isn’t an option for me..

#2 5 years ago

5-6 hours each way

Based on game

#3 5 years ago

Usually about the same as you but to find Bally's Bigfoot I'd go to the ends of the earth.....LOL.

John

#4 5 years ago

2 to 3 hour drive there. So really a 4 to 6 hour drive round trip.

#5 5 years ago

For the right game I'd go up to 10 hours each way. But I'm gonna factor in time, one hotel night, and gas when deciding if it's worth it..

#6 5 years ago

I love road trips. 1200 mile round trips is the limit. Norfolk being the furthest. Nice area.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I’m curious on how far some others look for a particular game. I look at my local CL, and nearby areas up to 10 hours away. I have even looked way down south, as I’m planning a road trip to S. Cal in late August-if my bro can pick a date that he’s getting married..I think that 1400 miles is my limit! And w the Canadian $ sitting where it is, shipping just isn’t an option for me..

I wonder what it would be like to cross back over the border with a pinball machine in the back of the car? In my work I have traveled to a lot of countries and by far the one that gives me the most grief is Canada. Maybe they reserve that treatment for Americans coming over.

#8 5 years ago

I've driven to Ottawa / Gatineau a couple times for pins. The supply well is pretty dry in the Maritimes.

#9 5 years ago

Personally I feel like it's a dry well here in southern Wisconsin. Could have to do with certain nearby business's in Chicago that buy up everything, who knows, I am guessing. There are always a ton of ads on Craigslist in my area asking to buy pretty much any pin in any condition. I see so many pins I would buy If I were willing to drive more than 4 or 5 hours, just very few good ones around here.

#10 5 years ago

For a grail-type, hard to find title, I’ve done the over-night pin trip with a friend.
    Often, the high end restored pins, don’t come up too often locally in Toronto.

#11 5 years ago

I'm about 20 inches from my screen.

That is how far I look.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago

10 hrs round trip, I get carsick, so 5 hrs of puking before and after I see the pin is my limit. Fortunately Chicago and Minneapolis are in range, if it ain’t there, I prob don’t need it....

#13 5 years ago

2-3 each way for me also, unless it's something special...

#14 5 years ago

Worldwide! I have brought and shipped games from the US a couple of those games from awesome Pinsiders.

I have also done a couple of road trips my longest was a 26 hour round trip from England to Germany.

#15 5 years ago

I usually am willing to drive up to 7 hours each way for a game I really want.

#16 5 years ago

I flew from Australia to Europe for a single machine a few years ago plus a majority of my collection has been attained in bulk through personal container imports from either Europe or North America over the last 15 years.

You can't afford to limit your search radar when you live down here or you will be forever chasing one or two units at most.

#17 5 years ago

8 to 10 hours each way. Can't wait to get out of the deep South.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm about 20 inches from my screen.
    That is how far I look.

Do people come to you, to try to sell you their old pins and pool tables? If so how many in a year?

#19 5 years ago

Found out my "limit" a couple weeks ago after 16 hours round trip in one day. Anything more would be overnight and depend on the title/seller but I would seriously consider shipping or just being patient

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Do people come to you, to try to sell you their old pins and pool tables? If so how many in a year?

I've never counted. It happens occasionally. Very rare if it's anything good. Usually junk they don't want to pay to haul.

They get hurt too when you tell them their $6K pool table is worthless because anyone wanting it will have to pay $500 to take it out and $500 to put it in their house. They don't want to hear the value was in their using it.

If the pin is anything, I usually pass it on to people I know.

1 week later
    #21 5 years ago

I got lucky and saw a comet for sale on a fb post..immediately left a msg, and after a few questions I decided to purchase it. I took last Friday off work, and took my passport n truck on a road trip just south of Yakima to get her. It took most of my day commuting- man Seattle traffic is brutal, but was nice to get a game on my wish list. Thanks go to staythirsty (Brandon) on helping me load it up..we even exchanged beers from our province/state..the 600 miles combined n meeting a nice Pinsider was all worth it..

BFE18D45-D57D-4E99-B0A1-BF176AB1F3AC (resized).jpegBFE18D45-D57D-4E99-B0A1-BF176AB1F3AC (resized).jpeg

#22 5 years ago

For the West Coast it's really 2-1/2 metro areas and you're done, travel time be damned. There are far fewer choices within 8 hrs than, say, east, of the Mississippi. (Man, if I lived east of the Miss I would have completed my wishlist long ago.) From Sacramento, you've got the Bay Area (1 to 2 hrs), Reno (2 to 3 hrs), and then it jumps to 6- 8 hrs for So Cal and that's it. After that you're looking at 12+ hrs to northern Oregon, Vegas or Phoenix. I haven't gotten that desperate yet.

#23 5 years ago

If I can get the round trip done in one day, I’m gonna do it. Obviously the deal would need to be pretty sweet to do a ten hour each way type deal.

#24 5 years ago

For something on my "grail-level" list, i'll fly/drive/walk/crawl to get it.

#25 5 years ago

Belgium....where I had my Fathom shipped from

#26 5 years ago

It seems as if demand > supply here on the west coast. I’ve shipped games here from the east coast, picked up games in both Canada and California, and every rare once in awhile obtained one locally. I remember back in the day when it was 2 for 1 shipping on NAVL for pins, you could get 2 shipped for say $350-400 total. Now it’s $500 to ship east coast to west coast. ;(

#27 5 years ago

3-4 hours seems like my max. Most the time closer to 2.

Thanks
    Blake

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-do-you-look-4-a-game?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.