(Topic ID: 224882)

How far are you willing to travel for your fav pin?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by whisper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

974A75DD-5A4E-40F1-A18D-AD54C1FB573B (resized).jpeg
    moon (resized).jpg
    39CD73EF-8661-4F4C-B4E1-02C522B6ECCF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sd_jameson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 5 years ago

Fun topic. As a young single guy with nothing holding me back but work and my budget, I find a lot of enjoyment out of packing up the rig for the weekend and traveling far distances to pickup a machine, but only if the price is right or it's a holy grail type game. The furthest I ever traveled was from northern California to Salt Lake City (1300 miles round trip). This was for my #1 absolute must have game (Williams Wild Card). I suspect I would have been willing to drive even further for it if I had to, but it's hard to say where exactly I would draw the line. Probably the craziest haul I ever did though was last summer when I was working in South Lake Tahoe. I had a job as a caretaker for a summer camp and we rarely got any days off. Early one week in June I arranged to pickup a Space Mission in Thousand Oaks, CA later that week on a day off, only to have to go right back to work the next day. The game was in good shape and the price was right, so we packed up as soon as we could (1:00 in the afternoon) and headed out. The coolest part about it was that I had a coworker go with me because she was so excited about seeing and picking up a real pinball machine. So we made the trek all the way down, with hardly enough time to even eat or stop for gas. We ended up at the guys house at 10:00 that night. Luckily he was cool with us showing up that late but he was a little concerned when we told him we were heading right back to Tahoe from his place, rightfully so... We took off from there and made the trek all the way back up to the mountains just in time to see the sunrise and get about 3 hours of sleep before going to work! The next day I setup the game in our staff lounge and for the whole rest of the summer everyone enjoyed playing Space Mission. It was great to see so many people even younger than me exposed to pinball. Our camp manager tried to buy it from me but I said no way, instead I offered to find a game for him. A couple of weeks later and we picked up a Flash from San Jose. I did a top down restoration on it and now his friends always want to party at his house so they can play! Sorry for the off topic story but I love talking about this stuff!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sd_jameson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-are-you-willing-to-travel-for-your-fav-pin?tu=sd_jameson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.