(Topic ID: 224882)

How far are you willing to travel for your fav pin?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by whisper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

974A75DD-5A4E-40F1-A18D-AD54C1FB573B (resized).jpeg
    moon (resized).jpg
    39CD73EF-8661-4F4C-B4E1-02C522B6ECCF (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Yeah, I know, this distance stuff has been talked before. Like how far has everyone driven for that special pin.

I see all kinds of people wanting this pin or that pin. Some of you make the drive. Some of you decide you do not want that pin enough to drive the distance or pay for the shipping.

What is your "uncle" point?

How far are you willing to drive? Or, how much shipping are you willing to pay? How bad do you want it?

Me? I'm looking at one that is 1200 miles away. I have done 1200 before and for the right pin I will do so again.

You?

#3 5 years ago

Over the river and through the woods...

I’ve driven just about anywhere for games. Whether it be a good deal, or a pin I really want. The drive there is usually the tedious part. The drive home with the game in tow is usually more rewarding.

#4 5 years ago

And I would add that I’ve been several places I might not have normally traveled to, cities and small towns alike, if not for going to pick up a pin. Some even dawned my name.
    39CD73EF-8661-4F4C-B4E1-02C522B6ECCF (resized).jpeg39CD73EF-8661-4F4C-B4E1-02C522B6ECCF (resized).jpeg

#5 5 years ago

The furthest I’ve gone is around 800 miles round trip. I’ve done that twice, and It’s about my max. If I can’t get there and back in a day safely, it’s too far.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Over the river and through the woods...
    I’ve driven just about anywhere for games. Whether it be a good deal, or a pin I really want. The drive there is usually the tedious part. The drive home with the game in tow is usually more rewarding.

The ride home is more laxed, now that you have secured said machine.

#7 5 years ago

to the ends of the earth

#8 5 years ago

It really depends on the price.
    After that is settled, the only thing stopping us is how much time do my wife and I have to go get it and then come back. Like do I have a 4 days weekend or only until tomorrow morning before I have to get back to work? Can I still tell my job that I'm sick or I'll get kicked out this time?
    Going to the location of where the item is and getting it is the main goal, but we like to take the long way to it and enjoy our time visiting new places... until we have to get back home to get ready for tomorrow (or like most of the time get prepped to go to work an hour after we just got back home )

#9 5 years ago

i used to go to crazy lengths to get a pin, these days its not worth it to me because of high prices.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Depends on the price too

OK. If the price is right, and all the planets are in alignment, how many miles will you travel?

#11 5 years ago

I have driven over 2,000 miles one way for two pins and have had a pin shipped to me from over 7,800 miles away.

#12 5 years ago

4 hours each way is about my max.

The title, condition, and price are considerations for the distance I'd be willing to drive.

#13 5 years ago

To fund my iron maiden i just delivered a pin in penn, 1000 mile round trip. Then delivered another game 200 mile round trip. Then i found my maiden, 400 mile roumd trip. So 1200 to fund, 400 to buy, 1600 total. But i like using roadtrips as excuses for small vacations

#14 5 years ago

The moon and stars

#15 5 years ago

5 hrs each way, I have to be home time the street lights come on.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

To fund my iron maiden i just delivered a pin in penn, 1000 mile round trip. Then delivered another game 200 mile round trip. Then i found my maiden, 400 mile roumd trip. So 1200 to fund, 400 to buy, 1600 total. But i like using roadtrips as excuses for small vacations

Interesting. To make this happen, YOU had to DELIVER two pins. And then pick up your desired unit. None of my sellers were willing to do that. They were, "If you want it, you come and get it.

I have one I had to deliver to make the deal, also.

I rationalize that I am taking small vacations. But the trips are pretty fast to cut down on motel fees. I get to see a lot of interesting Entrance and Exit ramps

#17 5 years ago
    moon (resized).jpgmoon (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

Anything over 3 hours each way and I start to lose interest. There is always another pin that will pop up closer. I say that now until the Indy I have always wanted pops up.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Interesting. To make this happen, YOU had to DELIVER two pins. And then pick up your desired unit. None of my sellers were willing to do that. They were, "If you want it, you come and get it.
    I have one I had to deliver to make the deal, also.
    I rationalize that I am taking small vacations. But the trips are pretty fast to cut down on motel fees. I get to see a lot of interesting Entrance and Exit ramps

The motel and gas dont come out of my pinball fund. I use the excuse that its a family vacation so its not pinball money. And ya, i delivered it but charged more for delivery

#20 5 years ago

3 hours away is about it for me too.

#21 5 years ago

Just drove 3000 miles round trip for a TBL. I wasn’t gonna trust shipping that pin. I made the round trip in 68 hours.

#22 5 years ago

300 miles one way has been my max so far. If I had something I could in close a pin in I would probably go further.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Just drove 3000 miles round trip for a TBL. I wasn’t gonna trust shipping that pin. I made the round trip in 68 hours.

Now we are talking !

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Anything over 3 hours each way and I start to lose interest. There is always another pin that will pop up closer. I say that now until the Indy I have always wanted pops up.

I wish it was like that here!

#25 5 years ago

Or eight hrs drive round trip, whichever is closer.

974A75DD-5A4E-40F1-A18D-AD54C1FB573B (resized).jpeg974A75DD-5A4E-40F1-A18D-AD54C1FB573B (resized).jpeg
    #26 5 years ago

Ive done 8hrs each way across international borders for the right pin. An 8hr drive without kids is equivalent to about an hour drive with em. There has to be a conversation table for that....

#27 5 years ago

3-5 hour trips are the norm for me due to where I live. I actually Just got back last week from delivering a pin 5 hours away and picking another up unexpectedly, but lucky for me I enjoy the trips and the excitement of picking up new games across state lines.

#28 5 years ago

My longest so far was a 1200-mile round trip in 23 hrs and 57 mins. Totally crazy ... AND WORTH EVERY MILE!!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

My longest so far was a 1200-mile round trip in 23 hrs and 57 mins. Totally crazy ... AND WORTH EVERY MILE!!

What did you get?

#30 5 years ago

Target Alpha. Had really liked it at ReplayFX and couldn't find one for sale locally. I got a decent price for a semi-project.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Andyzola87:

3-5 hour trips are the norm for me due to where I live. I actually Just got back last week from delivering a pin 5 hours away and picking another up unexpectedly, but lucky for me I enjoy the trips and the excitement of picking up new games across state lines.

On election day in Nov. 2016 I was in El Paso picking up a pin. I spent the night somewhere near Lincoln NM.

I love your part of the country. I like the desert. I like those 80 mph Interstate Highways, too

#32 5 years ago

I flew from TN to Fargo ND, then drove across the border in a uhaul to Manitoba Winnipeg to pick up a restored Joust. Spent the night and drove the next day and night to TN.

#33 5 years ago

I went 14 hours each way to get my Tron LE and would do it again in a heart beat. Made a trip out of it vs just a drive there and come home thing.

#34 5 years ago

columbus ohio to somewhere in wisconsin. took 8-10 hours i think each way. chicago traffic. Got a TSPP and POTC.

#35 5 years ago

I drove about 15-16 hours round trip to pick up a game. It’s a haul

#36 5 years ago

#37 5 years ago

Fun topic. As a young single guy with nothing holding me back but work and my budget, I find a lot of enjoyment out of packing up the rig for the weekend and traveling far distances to pickup a machine, but only if the price is right or it's a holy grail type game. The furthest I ever traveled was from northern California to Salt Lake City (1300 miles round trip). This was for my #1 absolute must have game (Williams Wild Card). I suspect I would have been willing to drive even further for it if I had to, but it's hard to say where exactly I would draw the line. Probably the craziest haul I ever did though was last summer when I was working in South Lake Tahoe. I had a job as a caretaker for a summer camp and we rarely got any days off. Early one week in June I arranged to pickup a Space Mission in Thousand Oaks, CA later that week on a day off, only to have to go right back to work the next day. The game was in good shape and the price was right, so we packed up as soon as we could (1:00 in the afternoon) and headed out. The coolest part about it was that I had a coworker go with me because she was so excited about seeing and picking up a real pinball machine. So we made the trek all the way down, with hardly enough time to even eat or stop for gas. We ended up at the guys house at 10:00 that night. Luckily he was cool with us showing up that late but he was a little concerned when we told him we were heading right back to Tahoe from his place, rightfully so... We took off from there and made the trek all the way back up to the mountains just in time to see the sunrise and get about 3 hours of sleep before going to work! The next day I setup the game in our staff lounge and for the whole rest of the summer everyone enjoyed playing Space Mission. It was great to see so many people even younger than me exposed to pinball. Our camp manager tried to buy it from me but I said no way, instead I offered to find a game for him. A couple of weeks later and we picked up a Flash from San Jose. I did a top down restoration on it and now his friends always want to party at his house so they can play! Sorry for the off topic story but I love talking about this stuff!

#38 5 years ago

Just like the song says:

“But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles
    For a new pin that I adore”

#39 5 years ago

9 hours each way, Melbourne to Sydney an back to Melbourne, did it on 2 separate occasions, definitely a full on mission but glad i did it. Lord of the rings an avatar are definitely nailed to the floor after that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-far-are-you-willing-to-travel-for-your-fav-pin?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.