(Topic ID: 91626)

How exactly does one physically pay for a used pin?

By cheesewhisperer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Eactly_Physically_Pay.jpg
    cash.jpg
    image.jpg
    straightcash.png
    xwZHOZt.jpg
    SIMPLY.jpg
    Untitled-449.png
    American_gigolo_post.jpg
    image-267.jpg
    image-884.jpg
    quarters.jpg
    Johnny Cash.jpg
    th.jpeg
    There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I mean, let's say I'm going to drive 400 miles to pay anywhere between $1500 and $3000 for a fellow Pinsider's South Park (hypothetical)---Am I expected to show up with cash? True, cash would allow a little room to dicker, assuming the price has not been set, but what other options are there, if any?
    Is this how most Pinsider's do it?
    Should I expect the original paperwork and receipts?
    I have kept EVERY document for my one and only pin, and if I ever sell it I would surely pass along the shoebox of papers...

#2 9 years ago

Cash is the only way I have paid for a used pin. if they have the manual or any schematics it would be nice of them to include that, as far as original receipts good luck, chances are its changed hands dozens of times.

#3 9 years ago

show up with cash. that's what I do. Papers are pointless. The next guy doesn't care what you paid for it.

#4 9 years ago

Cash & carry; no receipts and no warranty

#5 9 years ago

#6 9 years ago

Don't expect any documents unless it is HUO and you want proof. Expect an owners manual, and yes, for this type of transaction, cash is king. Good friends may accept a different deal.

Other than that, don't go in with any expectations.

#8 9 years ago

Cash on the glass. It's the only way the pin leaves. If you showed up with a check you'd leave with that same check. The only exception to that is I already know you well and know you're good for it. It prevents hassles on both sides.

#9 9 years ago

Cash but unless I know the person I leave it in the car until I get a feel for the seller.

#10 9 years ago

I've always used this.

th.jpegth.jpeg
    #11 9 years ago

bring the cash, yes. but do your homework: establish that the person you're visiting has an established presence here. read some of their posting history. if they're an active member of this community, it's unlikely they're a scammer or thief.

both of my in-person transactions with other pinsiders were very smooth and very friendly. (shout out to habo and hank527 -- top notch dudes)

we agreed to a price beforehand. i showed up with cash in hand. as long as the machine is as described, haggling at that point is bad form in my opinion. i played each game for a while to make sure everything was kosher ... (and both pinsiders invited me to hang out and play some of their other pins as well) ... and then i handed over the money and we wrapped and loaded the game.

#12 9 years ago

The only time I've taken anything but cash is when the deal is long distance. In that case either paypal or check with time to clear before the game is shipped.

Dave

#13 9 years ago

Johnny Cash.jpgJohnny Cash.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Cash and carry.

That's how it works here.

#15 9 years ago

Bought mine with a money transfer. Often used in Norway for high amount deals.
    In that case the seller is the one that can be fooled if I cancel the transfer short after I get the item.

So to make things right and too show I'm a honest person I suggested we made a simple contract with the pins ID number, date of purchase and amount agreed for the pin. "Working machine, sold as is with minor cabinet flaws"... or whatever you and the seller agrees should be in a contract.

I think I would sell and buy pins with a small contract like that, just as if I was selling or buying a car.
    Recomend that...

#16 9 years ago

I understand anyone's reluctance to carry a large amount of cash around, but that's how it works. I had quite a bit of money on me at Allentown just in case...and ended up with a TZ plus a bunch of parts. I would have regretted not being able to buy the pin when when the opportunity presented itself. In such a case, you have to decide in advance whether you're willing to buy and, if so, how much you're willing to spend.

#17 9 years ago

It's simple:
    You either send your cash to a complete stranger, pin unseen
    -or-
    You show up to a strangers house with thousands of dollars on you.

When pins get ahold of you, you'll do stupid things.

Good luck!

#18 9 years ago

Does anyone mind $20 bills?
    Or is it hundreds only?

#19 9 years ago

Cash and carry is the only way to go.

I went today for a Craigslist deal on a Space Jam near me.

He assured me it was in tip-top shape, and that he had taken excellent care of it. The seller needed the cash, but originally wasn't willing to take less. I made him an offer, which was a reasonable offer based on market, but less than what he paid for it, and he turned me down. Later, he came back and said he'd take that price. So I made the one-hour each way up there to look at it. When I got there, I immediately noticed a bad DMD. The offer that I had made was a fair deal, not a lowball offer, and the seller hadn't told me about the bad DMD, although when I mentioned it, he seemed to have noticed it as well. I asked him to knock $200 off for the DMD (it's not like I was getting a steal!), and he gave me the runaround, saying you could buy them anywhere for $88. Luckily, I had my iPad there and I quickly pulled up Marco to show him that this was not an $88 item -- Marco has them for $199+shipping. He said he thought we had a deal, I had already haggled with him, blah blah blah and he was unwilling to take less. He said I didn't hold up to my end of the agreement -- but I had! He hadn't told me about the bad DMD ($200 off the bat). Had it not been for the bad DMD I would have just given him the originally agreed price and taken it. But nope, because he was unwilling to fully explain the machine beforehand, I wasted my evening.

Moral of the story is... Your seller should be one of three things:
    A) someone well-known on Pinside
    B) someone well-known elsewhere in the pinball community, or at least someone who has multiple people that can vouch for their credibility
    C) a seller who you may not have met before, but by combing the internet and playing detective, you can find plenty of information that corresponds with information that he has provided to you (WhitePages, etc.) and certifies them as a reputable person

My seller, in today's case, just happened to be none of the above.

Sorry if this was a little off-topic, but the point is that a cash offer in-person is really the only way to deal.

/end rant

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Or is it hundreds only?

Depends on the value of the machine. $100's are always good, $50's are fine. But hey, in the end, it's all money.
    However, I would feel weird handing a seller $10,000 in $20 bills.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

Depends on the value of the machine. $100's are always good, $50's are fine. But hey, in the end, it's all money.

The newer $100 bill looks impossible to fake.

Is it acceptable to ask for this? ( from an unknown buyer)

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

I would love to see that roll of 500 benjamins though!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

The newer $100 bill looks impossible to fake.

Is it acceptable to ask for this? ( from an unknown buyer)

I think that's a bit much to ask. I think I got 2 of the new bills out of 10 the last time I was at the bank. The bank might not have that many of the new $100's.

#24 9 years ago

Hey,

I drove from here to the other side of Minneapolis with enough money to buy a TSPP shoved in my pocket. If you're crossing a border, a receipt is a good idea (just had this issue come up today crossing back into Canada; got pulled over at customs).

Luke

#25 9 years ago

Twice I have paid with paypal gift direct from my bank account. I always showed the sellers my drivers license in case they wanted to get my address. Both times the transaction went through in less than 10 min.

I just don't like the idea of carrying that much cash on me and in some cases my bank only allows me to withdraw a certain amount per day.

#26 9 years ago

Banded stacks of 100's in a steel suitcase handcuffed to you

#27 9 years ago

I only pay in money orders drawn from the Bank of Nigeria. They're super legit.

Really though, all 100s is good form but not necessary. I'll take fives as long as my bank still does

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Or is it hundreds only?

hell, i wouldn't care if it was all $1 bills... it all spends the same...

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

hell, i wouldn't care if it was all $1 bills... it all spends the same...

How big is a 10k stack of 1's.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Or is it hundreds only?

i would not care $ are $, but if you paid in ones i would think your a stripper

#31 9 years ago

In Quarters... Cold Hard Quarters.

quarters.jpgquarters.jpg
    #32 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I imagine something like this

image-884.jpgimage-884.jpg

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Twice I have paid with paypal gift direct from my bank account. I always showed the sellers my drivers license in case they wanted to get my address. Both times the transaction went through in less than 10 min.
    I just don't like the idea of carrying that much cash on me and in some cases my bank only allows me to withdraw a certain amount per day.

That's a good idea. I don't know why a seller wouldn't accept that.

#34 9 years ago

Just man up and carry cash. IMO always be ready to buy a cheap one at least!

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

I've always used this.

th.jpeg 7 KB

Thats right my word is my bond.

#36 9 years ago

Cash and carry. No receipts. No warranty.

You get whatever paperwork that the seller is offering up as part of the machine. If it's not what you want, you don't buy it. Very simple.

Jaz

#37 9 years ago

Pay in cash. If you don't know the person, take somebody with you if you can.

#38 9 years ago

I understand the cash and carry part, but it seems like there's a limit. I can see taking $3K to a deal, but more than that seems a little dicey. Anybody done cash deals in excess of $5K? That would be some gangsta stuff.

#39 9 years ago

I've done deals over 5k in cash. But it's not gangsta at all. When you're driving up to a guy's mansion in the woods, you know that the cash is probably just beer money to him.

#40 9 years ago

Why no receipts? What if the person wants to put it on route and needs a receipt to depreciate the asset?

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

I understand the cash and carry part, but it seems like there's a limit. I can see taking $3K to a deal, but more than that seems a little dicey. Anybody done cash deals in excess of $5K? That would be some gangsta stuff.

All expensive pins I've bought were from out of Town....I prefer wire ( easily traceable ) but certified funds minimizes the hassle if they can't take the wire. Side note.....I run an A/V Company and sold $22k worth of Audio gear once where deal went down cash in a Dominoes Parking lot....4 of them, 1 of me....kind of creepy...I carry concealed weapon ( w permit) but suspect it wouldn't have helped me in this situation.....counting $100's on my truck seat....everything legal, and they paid sales tax, btw.....

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

How big is a 10k stack of 1's

50"

#43 9 years ago

Did one paypal deal, the guy came looked at the machine, said he wanted it (although there was no real question on that). He did the paypal transfer right then, once I confirmed the money was in my account I let him load it up.

I've never tried to re-negotiate a deal, with the exception of a case where it was advertised as HUO (second owner), and it was clear the DMD has been swapped from another game (based on some burn in from an attract mode). He claimed that was how it came, but agreed to adjust the price. This was quite few years ago, it was a swap of games a NGG + $ for TSPP, which if pinsider involved reads this thread I'm sure he with remember.

I've never been concerned with carrying money, but I've not spent more then $3K for a game, not saying that is not a lot, but guess I am a trusting soul.

#44 9 years ago

And if you plan on bickering on the price, make sure you do that before you make the trek. Once someone travels a long trip, the seller clearly knows he doesn't have to drop the price any further at risk of you leaving.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Cash is the only way I have paid for a used pin. if they have the manual or any schematics it would be nice of them to include that, as far as original receipts good luck, chances are its changed hands dozens of times.

LOL at thye Pinside mentality. Pinball machines would never change hands "dozens of times" until fairly recently, when noobs change their lineups as often as i change my socks (weekly ). Through most of pinball's history, a game would be bought by a distributor, then sold for home use, maybe change homes once or twice over many years. These days you need a GPS installed to track the wanderings of newer games!

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

LOL at thye Pinside mentality. Pinball machines would never change hands "dozens of times" until fairly recently, when noobs change their lineups as often as i change my socks (weekly ). Through most of pinball's history, a game would be bought by a distributor, then sold for home use, maybe change homes once or twice over many years. These days you need a GPS installed to track the wanderings of newer games!

I don't think that's pinside's fault. The general state of location gaming, the rise of home game rooms, and the passage of time have changed pinball a lot.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

For someone who has basically insulted pinsiders all along, you sure spend a lot of time here.

What do you call you, an RGP'er just on reconnaissance?

#48 9 years ago

I got a chuckle from the comment about driving 400 miles with cash in hand in order to negotiate once you arrived. I hope no one is travelling 400 miles without a deal struck and confident that nothing will change on either end at the end of that drive lol

#49 9 years ago

Cash is the only way to go, unless you know the person well.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

figuring a banded pack of 100 bills is about 3/4" thick... so 10,000 would be 100 banded packs of ones...

going on that, right around 6 and a quarter feet...

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-exactly-does-one-physically-pay-for-a-used-pin/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.