(Topic ID: 265526)

How does this here coin door contraption work?

By undrdog

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

The one machine I have is working nicely. Was hoping to get an EM to play around with, but what with current events, I don't dare spend money on even a project machine. So, I figure I'll work on the coin door. (The machine is set to free play.)

If someone could post a link to a good explanation of how it is all supposed to work, I'd appreciate it. I found a guide for taking them apart and cleaning them, but that doesn't really explain how it works.

My first question is what the coil does (or did). It is wired to the credit button, so starting a game triggers it to pull a thigamajig across the three coin mechanisms. But, by the time the button is pressed, the coin would have already dropped through. So... what's it for?

This is on Mystic.

Thanks!

#3 4 years ago

Why is it wired to the credit button switch? Just drawing power?

#6 4 years ago

KenLayton
    So,I guess you'd be dismayed that we used the seven cent trick in the machines at the bowling alley? Not sure how our group learned that, but it worked. This would have been in the early to mid 1970s.

#8 4 years ago

Cool!

#10 4 years ago

For those that don’t know, it worked by flicking a nickel into the coin slot with a lot of force, and it would stick in there. Then you very carefully drop in a penny, and then a second one. Each penny after that gives you a credit and falls into the coin box. Hit the coin return when done, and the nickel and first two pennies are released into the coin return. You get seven cents back. Thus, the seven cent trick.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-this-here-coin-door-contraption-work?tu=undrdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.