How does The Hobbit rate nowadays?

By monsterbaldy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I played a WOZ recently and loved it, kind of motivated me to get a JJP (which I have played very little of). But I am a TOTAL theme whore, and of the JJPs the Hobbit theme interests me the most by far.

Reviews from a year ago seem to say the game is beautiful, sounds, great, but can sometimes feel like chopping wood. Has the code changed much in the last year? Advise me here...

#2 6 years ago

I personally don't like hobbit the game is beautiful looking but the gameplay is pretty boring you can play games over an hour long very easily. I recently put 7 million on one and It was almost a 2 hour long game. I also don't like that the game has so many multiballs you are constantly playing multiballs in the game.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I played a WOZ recently and loved it, kind of motivated me to get a JJP (which I have played very little of). But I am a TOTAL theme whore, and of the JJPs the Hobbit theme interests me the most by far.
Reviews from a year ago seem to say the game is beautiful, sounds, great, but can sometimes feel like chopping wood. Has the code changed much in the last year? Advise me here...

Have you played Dialed In it is by far the best JJp and is better than almost any other pin IMO. I know you are looking for theme but if you can find a Dialed In to try it is an amazing game

#4 6 years ago

Some people love it some don't so you have to make up your own mind. I play mine quite a bit but I still think DI is the best jjp game. I like the contrast between the two though and think they complement each other well.

#5 6 years ago

Definately a different style game - I think its great, have a great time trying to kill smaug! Lots to do in this game!

Not for everyone but lots of guys love it, great value as well. All JJP games are great in their own way.

#6 6 years ago

You should ask all the people that are lining up to buy it, or sell it.

Or just look at the pinside top list where it currently stands at #28.

#7 6 years ago

Had one, found it horribly boring. Have a WOZ now, much better!

#8 6 years ago

Still an excellent game.

#9 6 years ago

Love mine, unique layout, great sound and art package, excellent theme integration. I’m an average player, some games are 30 mins, some 10 mins. My high is 2.7 mil, only killed Smaug twice in a year.

#10 6 years ago

Beating Smaug is a challenge and still fun when you are able to accomplish it.

The Arkenstone mb's are still great as well.

The rest of the game is mostly a boring grind.

#11 6 years ago

If you are interested in The Hobbit, go spend some time on it!! You can watch videos and get everyone’s opinion, but you need to go play for yourself!! I think it’s a great pin, it has an amazing visual show! Go find one, and have fun!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I recently put 7 million on one and It was almost a 2 hour long game.

Seriously? Good lord no game is worth 2 hours.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good lord no game is worth 2 hours.

I see what you did there. "lord" lol.

#14 6 years ago

It’s a long playing game to get anywhere. To me it feels like grinding away. Each mode seemed so balanced that until higher level stuff like into the fire, your score is based on how long you keep the ball in play.

In my opinion WOZ is a much better game. The things you are doing continually play into other objectives. It’s a quest. Unfortunately I don’t have enough time on Dialed In to really judge it.

#15 6 years ago

I have a Hobbit Smaug. Would I trade it for a DI. No. Do I want a DI. Yes. Both are great pins. However I do think TH has the best movie integration of any pin. You really do think you are on a Journey!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You should ask all the people that are lining up to buy it, or sell it.

Nah, just ask the people that sold it.

Those lining up to sell it don't want to deliberately screw themselves telling the truth about the game. It will hurt their potential sale.

#17 6 years ago

If you like a lot of variation yes it is a good game. I removed the Flipper center post and set the beast multi ball to a hard setting. That shortened the game times up and reduced the amount of multi balls. The sounds, and film integration are the best in a game that I have played. If you are into total theme this is a definite consideration.

#18 6 years ago

Beautiful pin and great clips and sound...but if you are a good pinball player it gets old very fast, becomes hour long games with a lot of repetition (pop ups and multiball) I traded mine and haven’t missed it for a second. Still love my wozle and just played a DI 2 days ago and loved it!

#19 6 years ago

I appreciate all the good feedback! Being the total theme whore that I am I'm real interested.

Has anyone tried it with the recently released critic preset? Curious if major complaints could but mostly resolved with adjustments or even that code change. Noone seems to be saying it doesn't shoot well, more along the lines of it just goes on forever and too much mb.

#20 6 years ago

My 2 cents the game was made for me.. I love it and play it the most, owned over a year now. Nothing like it at all.

If someone thinks it plays to long and doesn't like that then remove the center post, eliminate extra balls and ball saves. Not me I need all the help I can get, but ball save is set much lower on my jjp pins. Set and adjust tilt so when you nudge you tilt.

#21 6 years ago

Check out Zach and Greg’s review!!
From Straight Down the Middle pinball show. It’s a great show and they have very interesting reviews!

#22 6 years ago

Please try to get a few games on it before you buy. Some love it, some don’t. Find out which you are

#23 6 years ago

One of my favorite pins with an extremely deep and unique objective based rulesets. The ruleset, audio, toys, and artwork package along with excellent use of licensed assets make it one of the best pins out there in my opinion.

Also, the code isn't complete yet and there's still more to come. Once the games final wizard mode, a super wizard mode, is in the game along with some of the other ideas Keith has hinted at the game will truly be a masterpiece.

#24 6 years ago

just wait till code is done, it will be one of the best ever made. they are still doing updates for woz 5 yrs later, so we got a lot of code still coming. This aint no stern pinball!

#25 6 years ago

If you do decided to buy a Hobbit, definitely look at HUO games -- at current prices you should save ~$1500 vs NIB.

#26 6 years ago

Man that sdtm review was great and it really sold me!

#27 6 years ago

It shouldn't have, putting some quality play time on the game is the only way you should be sold on a pin.

#28 6 years ago

If you played WOZ and liked it then get it instead TH. That is like saying I played Met and liked it so I want a WrestleMania.

#29 6 years ago

HOOOOBBBBBITTTTTTT FOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEEVVVVVEEEER!!!!!!!!

#30 6 years ago

Love my Hobbit, been running 2.0 code, no experience with the game before that. I almost never have the luxury of playing a lot of any game before I buy. Hobbit was one of those games I bought without ever playing & have no regrets.
Seems like you can't go wrong with any JJP.
I only have a few games in my lineup, already had a couple flow games. TH isn't a typical flow game, not that it doesn't have any but it is different. So much to shoot at, so many different ways to play the game.
You are in control. Sometimes the critiques people have on the game are about things that can be changed or tweaked. Its insane just how much you can tweak on these things. I like leaving things default for the most part but it sure is nice to have options. I must suck because my longest game might be 15 or 20 minutes! I do have it set to be pretty fast.
& some games are over with pretty quickly. But again I have many choices to make the game easier or harder. & this is the first pin I've owned that I'd almost call it more than pinball. Truly an experience, a journey, an art piece, a light show unlike anything I've seen before, & just a fun game. So is it a flow game? Not really. Is it a whole lot of other fun stuff? Yes.

#31 6 years ago

Our Hobbit isn't going anywhere. I believe you have to decide yourself by playing any game before buying. The Hobbit is certainly a unique playing game, but is one of the most scrutinized to. We love the movies at my house, so the Hobbit is certainly a favorite in our collection. Variety is the spice of life and that holds true in pinball collections. Don't listen to what anyone says about any game unless is simply facts about layout, rules, build quality, etc...not anything based on opinions. Our woz is my favorite game, but Hobbit is a very close second once you understand it. Also, it can be made to play tougher opening out Lanes, removing center post, and a 7° pitch. Can't go wrong with any jjp, but again, that's just my opinion.

#32 6 years ago

Love mine. Fell in love with it almost a year ago when I played it for the first time then bought one. Still loving it. I'm an average player and have lots of short games, many mid games and the occasional long game when in the zone. High score 3 million and some change. Best theme integration and use of LCD to date in my opinion.

#33 6 years ago

HOOOOBBBBBITTTTTTT FOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEEVVVVVEEEER!!!!!!!!

So you're still on the fence, then?

#34 6 years ago

Decent pin....looks awesome....game play so so.....I own it and sold it...worth owing....staying power is up to you....

#35 6 years ago

It's no lord of the rings.

And that is why it is awesome.

Great game.. beautiful.. well built.. stunning masterpiece. Looks like a Bently next to most other newer style pins. Theme integration is amazing. We are going on an adventure. Long ball times but for a good reason. It is reachable to work through the modes. Yes it takes a while to play the game but it keeps you captivated. I only hope my GOTGLE gets to be as well coded as The Hobbit is.
Visually & Audible a Pingasim!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Nah, just ask the people that sold it.
Those lining up to sell it don't want to deliberately screw themselves telling the truth about the game. It will hurt their potential sale.

I sold my Hobbit Smaug SE within 5 months of purchasing it. It had way too many multiballs for my taste. It had no ramps that felt good to hit. It could've been so much more.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I sold my Hobbit Smaug SE within 5 months of purchasing it. It had way too many multiballs for my taste. It had no ramps that felt good to hit. It could've been so much more.

I totally agree. I sold mine after 8 months, but probably stopped turning it on after 5.

After the initial excitement, it quickly became no fun to play.

#38 6 years ago

I'll play it if I see it on location, but only one game. Have killed Smaug and always leave the free games because I don't have the desire to play it again.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'll play it if I see it on location, but only one game. Have killed Smaug and always leave the free games because I don't have the desire to play it again.

Wow, you must be a good player to accomplish that on location.
Awesome, it's taken me about 800 plays at home and done it once.

#40 6 years ago

I'm top 200 in Cali Lol

#41 6 years ago

Here at Blizzard Mountain Pinball, we have 36 pinball games, which range from $0.50 to $1.00 per play, minus discounts for using swipe-cards. Since we opened about 3 months ago, here are the top 3 games:

1) The Hobbit ($1.00 per play)
2) Indiana Jones (Williams) ($0.75 per play)
3) Medieval Madness (original) ($1.00 per play)

This is the top 3 list at our location, ranked by number of games played. Hobbit is very consistently at the top, I think people like the longer game play. We also have Wizard of Oz, which is 8th overall in number of plays. Last place? The Rolling Stones! Although, Dr. Dude and Party Zone are giving it a run for its money.

So, if that's any indication, The Hobbit is a great game!!

Kevin

#42 6 years ago

I still hate it, so boring. try dialed in its pretty good

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-the-hobbit-rate-nowadays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.