(Topic ID: 344684)

How does Stern handle stolen pins with Insider Connected?

By Pablito350

9 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

This subject came up in another thread, and I'm curious what would happen if someone that unknowingly has a pin with IC that was reported stolen at some point in it's past. I didn't want to pollute the other thread with my questions so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Does Stern keep track of stolen serial numbers? What would happen if the new buyer went to register the pin on IC? Would Stern do anything? Would they brick the game? Would they report it to authorities? What if my pin with IC was stolen, and reported it to authorities & Stern, and whomever has now it tried to register it? Would I get any notification that someone else has my machine from Stern that I could use to help get it back? Would the new thief or owner get any notification that it's stolen? Is there an easy way to check to see if a pin you're interested in is stolen?

With IC being around for a couple of years now I'm sure someone has run into this before.

So many questions that I never thought about before.

Post your experiences or insight. I'd love to know more.

-Paul

#2 9 months ago

Maybe there should be a "sticky" thread where known stolen pinball machines are listed with their serial numbers and who to contact?

#3 9 months ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

This subject came up in another thread, and I'm curious what would happen if someone that unknowingly has a pin with IC that was reported stolen at some point in it's past. I didn't want to pollute the other thread with my questions so I figured I'd start a new thread.
    Does Stern keep track of stolen serial numbers? What would happen if the new buyer went to register the pin on IC? Would Stern do anything? Would they brick the game? Would they report it to authorities? What if my pin with IC was stolen, and reported it to authorities & Stern, and whomever has now it tried to register it? Would I get any notification that someone else has my machine from Stern that I could use to help get it back? Would the new thief or owner get any notification that it's stolen? Is there an easy way to check to see if a pin you're interested in is stolen?
    With IC being around for a couple of years now I'm sure someone has run into this before.
    So many questions that I never thought about before.
    Post your experiences or insight. I'd love to know more.
    -Paul

Good questions.
    Whatvif a game were eroneously reported as stolen?

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Does Stern keep track of stolen serial numbers?

Quoted from Pablito350:

They have:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-game-

(Skip down to post #213 in particular.)

The continuation/end result is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-deadpool-game-update-

#5 9 months ago

Stern is not the police…..they don’t handle stolen pins…since they have the ability to track locations of pins with insider connect the police could ask Stern to provide a location of the pin. Stern is not obligated/staffed to track monitor stolen pins 24/7. All Stern could do is run the SN in their system to see the last known location it was connected. That’s it…..if the stolen pin is NEVER connected once stolen not much of a way to track it.

The answer is Stern doesn’t do anything about stolen pins…..best bet is to call the police….file a report. Make sure your insurance covers theft and file a claim and move on.

#6 9 months ago

Hopefully there is no need for 24/7 tracking of stolen pins ?
    Not the easiest thing to steal..
    Would be nice of Stern to track a stolen game , not that cheap to replace with new .

#7 9 months ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

They have:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-game-
    (Skip down to post #213 in particular.)

Thanks for the link. From there is this:
    "I just spoke to Stern also, they are going to flag the game /serial number in case someone uses it with insider connect."

So the flagging by Stern does does affect IC on that machine somehow? The rest of the thread didn't say.

Quoted from Pickle:

The answer is Stern doesn’t do anything about stolen pins…..

The OP of the thread that SonicZone posted that Stern does do something. I just don't know how it affects anything if at all.

Quoted from RCA1:

Whatvif a game were eroneously reported as stolen?

That is a good question.

I'm not expecting Stern to do anything regarding stolen pins. I just want to know if they do. I'd hate to buy a pin then realize after I set it up in it's new home that I can't use IC with it, or whatever else may be affected by it being flagged as stolen. As a buyer it might be nice if there could be something in the menu system that we can look at like we do with total game plays that indicates whether it was ever flagged as being stolen or not.

I'm relatively new to IC, and only have one pin that has it. The thread I referenced earlier just raised a bunch of questions I have that I never really thought about before.

-Paul

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.