Linked Games

Topic poll

“Spend $180 on used metal posts?”

• Buy new plastic white posts for $18 and install? 3 votes
    100%
  • Buy new plastic white posts and paint them silvery metal color? 0 votes

(3 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I picked up Gottlieb World Fair last week. It was rougher than I was lead to believe, but I went ahead and bought it anyway figuring I could have fun fixing it up fairly inexpensively. The play field was stripped of many parts, including all the metal facetted posts. Little did I know that new replacement metal posts are not available anywhere, even PBR. I have located a guy with a used metal set for sale. He wants $180. I can buy new plastic posts from PBR for $18. The plastic posts look like the metal ones except they are slightly larger diameter at the base, and of course they are not nickel plated. I thought I could buy white plastic and paint them "chrome", which would make them look like metal, just not shiny nickel. I am not planning to do a "restore" on this game, but want a nice player. In my mind, it will never be a collector game....the paint is peeling, the backglass is flaking, etc. I can make it look pretty nice, just not planning to invest the time to do a restore. So my question, looking for a consensus....since I need all the posts (36 of them), should I bite the bullet and spend $180 on a used OEM set, or just buy plastic replacements saving me $100?

#2 5 years ago

Spending 180 bucks on an EM that's not worth 1k to start with is bonkers. Don't do it. You've said yourself it's a beater...it's for playing. If someone wants to fix it later, let them do it on their own dime MO.

#3 5 years ago

I like to try to keep things looking original, but nearly $200 just on posts for a low-value EM game is a tough pill to swallow. I think I might pass in that case and just use plastic posts. The most important thing is that it flips, so if some of the cosmetic aspects of the game aren't perfect on a player's machine, I don't think it's really a big deal.

#4 5 years ago

Typically when I have those metal post around used I get about $1 to $1.50 each for them but I don't have any around right now. No way I would pay more for post than your machine is worth! Not knocking your machine but as stated above machine just doesn't justify that kind of money spent.

#5 5 years ago

Those Gottlieb Metal posts are super cool. With that said, I'd go with the plastic ones for now. As mentioned just clean it up and get it playing. Not every game needs to be collector quality. If for some reason you decide you love it and want to go all in on a restoration you could invest in the metal posts at a later date.

#6 5 years ago

Try posting in the EM seeking parts thread. Someone might have a stash

#7 5 years ago

Thanks all for the comments. Consensus so far seems to be buy the plastic. Meanwhile, I went ahead and posted in the WANTED classified for parts. Assuming I end up buying plastic, any thoughts on painting them (chrome) silver?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Thanks all for the comments. Consensus so far seems to be buy the plastic. Meanwhile, I went ahead and posted in the WANTED classified for parts. Assuming I end up buying plastic, any thoughts on painting them (chrome) silver?

I don't think you want paint flakes all over. Just buy a color that you can live with. Interesting game - had that one for a while.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Those Gottlieb Metal posts are super cool. With that said, I'd go with the plastic ones for now. As mentioned just clean it up and get it playing. Not every game needs to be collector quality. If for some reason you decide you love it and want to go all in on a restoration you could invest in the metal posts at a later date.

Sooner or later, you'll probably come across some (metal posts).

I would avoid painting the plastic posts.

E

#10 5 years ago

I wouldn't paint the posts. The paint will just come off due to the type of plastic and ball impacts.

#11 5 years ago

Normally I would say that Replacement parts will not devalue an EM pin. If it just replacing a factory part with another. Different posts should be a no biggy, Only a few Pinsiders will know that those posts are wrong.

Things like, different Drop Targets, or different Standing Targets, or different Pop Bumpers from another pin, can be problematic When it comes to selling the game. The buyer might know the difference and deduct the value of the correct parts for the game. Also if any wiring or relay has been altered with Crimp connectors that might also alter the pins value. Adding LED's no big deal really. Now, to start hot gluing on Wal-Mart toys, that is a different story.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-replacing-parts-devalue-an-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.