Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kyle5574
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi Pinsiders,

Bear with me, I'm an artist.

So, I feel a little weird saying this, but I don't really know how to read a schematic, nor do I know my way around a digital multi-meter. Are there any good tutorials out there to help out a hopeless (but INTERESTED) ludite like myself? I'd like to better understand how they'll help me fix my pins.

Also, a couple of addendum questions: Are EM and Modern/Solid State schematics read the same way, or are they wildily different from one another? What is a reliable and inexpensive multimeter? I've been told mine is so unreliable that it's not worth using.

Thanks for your time and understanding,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

...you may want to let us know generally what you're trying to do.

Well, I guess that generally I'm trying to not be such a dunce about working on my own pins. I have an art background and schematics frighten me. Ha-ha! I just don't even know where to start or what they mean, really, because I haven't had ANY electronics training.

To get a little more specific, I'd like to do two things:

1. I have a few pins of my own, mainly SS (but a couple EM's). I'd like to understand how the diagram might help me trouble-shoot minor problems. Example: I have a 1987 Gottlieb/Premier "Monte Carlo." It has 10 drop-targets scattered around the PF. None of them will reset into the up position. (They did not long ago.)

2. I just purchased a project machine (1972 Williams "Swinger"). It's kind of a basket-case, with several things not working. Probably a topic for a different thread, but wondering where to start, and whether or not schematics would help.

Again, my apologies for the rudimentary questions and thanks to those with the patience to walk me through them.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

#11 9 years ago

Thanks, all, for chiming in here. You've given me a ton of great resources to pour over.

This is quite useful. Definitely helps to develop a basic understanding.

Also, wayout440 mentioned...

Quoted from wayout440:

the schematic is a road map of the circuits and parts in circuit, you will need to learn what the symbols represent.

...and ccotenj, in that thread you linked to, number 3 on your list said:

Quoted from ccotenj:

3) take 5 minutes and learn the symbols... most of them are very straightfoward (such as normal switch states, coils, etc.)... there are only maybe half a dozen that are regularly used, so this doesn't take long...

...but in looking at this page:

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/general_theory/circuit_symbols.html

...there are a lot more the 6 symbols. Any chance you could narrow down the list to those useful for trouble-shooting pinball machines?

I'm still reading through a lot of these, but feel like I'm starting to build a basic understanding. Much appreciated, and for anyone else with helpful hints or additional resources, keep 'em coming!

More thanks,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-one-read-a-schematic?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.