(Topic ID: 129242)

How does one operate on location(s) and become a game or parts distributer?

By sevenrites

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdoz2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I have to ask this question because of all the research I've done, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I hate to say it and don't intend to offend anyone, but I've never actually talked with anyone who currently has a route or a distribution deal for games or parts that has actually tried to be helpful and willing to guide or educate someone wanting to get into it one small step at a time.

Not to be snarky, but why would they help? They would be helping a future competitor enter the market.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If your market is anything like mine, there is an extreme shortage of techs. the ones that are here are good, but they do not do it as a full time job, and there are locations that do not get the attention they need to stay popular. Prime example being a pinball parlor in downtown Cincinnati that has 15 or so games, and are in barely playable shape, and are not fun at all. I am sure this is the case elsewhere too.

Sorry, I was speaking more to the distribution deal part of the question. Seems like if you have the knowledge, doing tech work wouldn't be that hard to get going.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

This definitely seems to be the most difficult arena to enter within the industry. Next would be getting a route / locations I believe. I think finding an electronics school or training would probably be the easiest, then become a tech, then get to know people who have games that need them fixed, then you have a market to work with, games then come to you and leave your hands easier, then you're getting big enough to maybe get attention from manufacturers because you've proven yourself... This is how I would attempt to do it.
    But yes, guidance, tips and etc. from others could go a long way towards helping get there a bit easier.

I tried looking at a local tech school here to do a few intro courses, but no dice. The distributor deal seems though. A friend of mine tried to get into it a little bit ago and didnt have much luck. He has storage space and could dedicate retails space too.

Getting route locations seems to be the easiest imo. Just check your state to see if you need to get permits for each game and then approach different venues. I have my xmen in a board game store atm. Granted my friend owns it, so that wasnt hard

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdoz2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-one-operate-on-locations-and-become-a-game-or-parts-distributer?tu=jdoz2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.