You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

doit (resized).png
one-does-not-simply-make-pinball-a-living (resized).jpg
41UdEo7+8KL._SX300_ (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
millennials (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider u2sean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

Like others have said - there's no quicker way to take the joy out of something you love than doing it for a living. Even making it a hobby can take the joy out of it at a certain level. I've been operating a small route now with a few others for about 4 years and can tell you this:

1. It's a lot of work, as we have to maintain all the games (otherwise we would have shut down after 2 months)
2. When attending events where you just get to show up and have fun, it's great fun! As soon as you start organizing and running them regularly the fun can diminish.
3. Haven't paid ourselves at all - everything has gone back into buying games. If this were my "income" I'd have to sleep underneath a few of the games!
4. Keep your day job to pay the bills and enable you to do what you love.
5. There are tons of Barcades turning up. As with everything new, I feel that this is a retro phase we're in. Eventually they'll fall out of favor (or there will simply be too many of them) and you'll start seeing them shut down. May not be for 7-10 years, but it'll happen eventually.
6. If you decide to go into the pinball business in any way, partner with someone that does all the stuff you don't enjoy doing. Sharing the work makes it easier.

As others have stated, maybe working at a local company that supplies games and learn how to repair them.

Or...move to Benton WI and work for Spooky pinball! Last I heard, Charlie was still looking for testers.

- Sean

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider u2sean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-one-make-pinball-a-living?tu=u2sean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.