Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    fairy (resized).jpg
    first-you-get-the-money-then-you-get-the-power-then-you-get-the-women (resized).jpg
    B1490A39-8F2A-4419-B487-09EB7BECC618 (resized).jpeg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I've seen posts reviewing distributors, asking what makes a good one, what their profits are, ect, but I have not found anything about how to actually become a distributor. What is involved? Where do you start?

#2 2 years ago

Buy some Store location and Order a Bunch of Games and put your own stock(Your Current pinballs) in it / Then Contact Stern and let them know .
    Pinball Dudes are new and were successful pretty quickly doing just that it seems . .

#3 2 years ago

Must be rough being a new distributor these days with no games to sell

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Must be rough being a new distributor these days with no games to sell

That's for sure. Add on the fact that finding older machines to resell is not easy or cheap.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Buy some Store location and Order a Bunch of Games and put your own stock(Your Current pinballs) in it / Then Contact Stern and let them know .
    Pinball Dudes are new and were successful pretty quickly doing just that it seems . .

Who would you order the games from? Another distributor or somehow straight from the manufacturer?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

Who would you order the games from? Another distributor or somehow straight from the manufacturer?

They have to be getting them from Stern. To me, the biggest obstacle to being a distributor is access to a BIG line of credit. When Stern allocates you games, you buy them. So if 10 games show up one day, you’ll need immediate access to $1M to pay for them. Fortunately, these games won’t sit as inventory long and will be converted to cash upon selling them. Once you get set up and you receive your first LE allotment of say 2 games, please remember the little people and sell me one at msrp.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So if 10 games show up one day, you’ll need immediate access to $1M

May want to check your math.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

His math may be right in 10 years.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

His math may be right in 10 years.

or less at this rate!

#10 2 years ago

Man people will do anything to try to get a cheaper pinball machine!

#11 2 years ago

I could tell you but .....

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

1 million by Christmas.

#13 2 years ago

Also learn this phrase:

B1490A39-8F2A-4419-B487-09EB7BECC618 (resized).jpegB1490A39-8F2A-4419-B487-09EB7BECC618 (resized).jpeg

#14 2 years ago

Some manufacturers aren't adding distributors because they can't cover the ones they have.

And if you aren't moving enough games they may end your distributorship.

Forget emailing the manufacturers and asking. One I know gets about 10 a day and goes delete delete delete times ten.

LTG : )

#15 2 years ago

They have to be getting them from Stern. To me, the biggest obstacle to being a distributor is access to a BIG line of credit. When Stern allocates you games, you buy them. So if 10 games show up one day, you’ll need immediate access to $1M to pay for them. Fortunately, these games won’t sit as inventory long and will be converted to cash upon selling them. Once you get set up and you receive your first LE allotment of say 2 games, please remember the little people and sell me one at msrp.

This is why I never come here for advice.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

This is why I never come here for advice.

Eh, give him a break. He bought 10 Supremes I think.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Some manufacturers aren't adding distributors because they can't cover the ones they have.
    And if you aren't moving enough games they may end your distributorship.
    Forget emailing the manufacturers and asking. One I know gets about 10 a day and goes delete delete delete times ten.

Quoted from Florp:

well there you have it. you can't even do that now . No Pin Buis for you.
    Bummer . I want to Open a White castle but was shot down on that as they do not Do it that way .No franchise

#18 2 years ago
    first-you-get-the-money-then-you-get-the-power-then-you-get-the-women (resized).jpgfirst-you-get-the-money-then-you-get-the-power-then-you-get-the-women (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago

Commit to buying *a lot* of every game they make with a large down payment in advance.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Commit to buying *a lot* of every game they make with a large down payment in advance.

How many do they make you buy? Five? 10?

That's like...uh...two million dollars up front!!!!!

#21 2 years ago

My understanding is that to become a distributor, you put a broken flipper bat under your pillow when you go to sleep. If you've been a good pinhead the pinfairy comes by and leaves you a Stern or American distributorship. If you have been a bad pinhead you are forced to sell Homepin games.

#22 2 years ago

While I appreciate all the jokes, I am asking the question in all seriousness. I had hoped that someone with experience as a distributor in this community would chime in and give an actual answer.

#23 2 years ago

I don’t think most manufacturers are taking on any new distributors, but why not just call them up and ask? The idea you set-up a thread and expected your future competition to help you out is absurd…….Especially when they themselves cannot get product to sell. Sorry man, but get a clue before you get into business.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

While I appreciate all the jokes, I am asking the question in all seriousness. I had hoped that someone with experience as a distributor in this community would chime in and give an actual answer.

Yes because if there's one thing existing distributors want, it's more competition!

(I'm afraid jokes are all you are going to get)

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

Consider any investment or legal advice received here is provided free of charge. But get those millions ready if you want GAME$.

#26 2 years ago

Consider any investment or legal advice received here is provided free of charge.

And worth exactly what you pay for it.

#27 2 years ago

I think most of the responses to this earnest question are unfortunate. It's amazing how people can react so negatively or stupidly to an honest inquiry. While mildly entertaining, it's pushing people away from this platform.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I think most of the responses to this earnest question is unfortunate. It's amazing how people can react so negatively or stupidly to an honest inquiry. While mildly entertaining, it's pushing people away from this platform.

We have way more people on this platform than we need.

And the answers were 100 percent accurate / helpful. Distributors are a FAMOUSLY tight-lipped bunch. For both business and legal reasons, they cannot, and will not spill the beans about the details of their job. There's dozens of reasons for this, and it's always been this way. The answer to his question is: You won't find out by posting a thread on Pinside. If you really want to "become a distributor" it's going to be more difficult than asking how to replace a transistor, or what is your favorite guitarist, or will the bubble burst?

The only people in any kind of a position to answer the OPs question to his satisfaction are never going to answer them. At least not here, on a public forum.

Our responses were a lot more helpful than yours. I don't see what you are complaining about, there's plenty of good info in this thread.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

Well, the actual answer is in here. Posts #13 and #14 sum it up nicely.

You can't distribute what does not exist.

You don't just "choose" these things based on a checklist of sorts... you have to be "chosen".

You ask this question on a Pinball forum expecting to get a list of things you need to check off to become a distributor. Those determined to achieve something in life are not asking for advice on an internet forum.

You will get the same looks asking a successful business owner how you can be successful like them and open up shop right next to them to put them out of business. Although this may not be your intention above, that's exactly how they will see your questions.

The only additional advice I can offer is that you have a much better chance of becoming a distributor for a pinball manufacturer that either JUST started shipping games or, even better, does not yet exist.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

The only additional advice I can offer is that you have a much better chance of becoming a distributor for a pinball manufacturer that either JUST started shipping games or, even better, does not yet exist.

Bingo!

I had Suncoast Pinball cold-calling me asking if I wanted to be their exclusive NYC distributor.

As I hadn't recently been hit on the head with a falling piano, I respectfully declined.

#31 2 years ago

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We have way more people on this platform than we need.
    And the answers were 100 percent accurate / helpful. Distributors are a FAMOUSLY tight-lipped bunch. For both business and legal reasons, they cannot, and will not spill the beans about the details of their job. There's dozens of reasons for this, and it's always been this way. The answer to his question is: You won't find out by posting a thread on Pinside. If you really want to "become a distributor" it's going to be more difficult than asking how to replace a transistor, or what is your favorite guitarist, or will the bubble burst?
    The only people in any kind of a position to answer the OPs question to his satisfaction are never going to answer them. At least not here, on a public forum.
    Our responses were a lot more helpful than yours. I don't see what you are complaining about, there's plenty of good info in this thread.

"Famously tight-lipped." Funny I've never heard of such before. Famous where exactly?

"For both business and legal reasons, they cannot, and will not spill the beans about the details of their job." What legal reasons? I see no mention on any site of their legal requirements.

"The only people in any kind of a position to answer the OPs question to his satisfaction are never going to answer them." So when they die off or shut down their business, no more pinball sales for anyone? Its like a job advertisement for an entry level position, but they require 20 years experience.

Snarky and sarcastic answers are not "And the answers were 100 percent accurate / helpful." Not exactly a friendly, welcoming, or professional way to treat anyone. It is always amazing how the anonymity of the internet seemingly gives people a free license to be dicks. If someone has no real answer, they can just move on and not post anything.

One thing I will guarantee is attitudes such as these will not bring business. Not that it matters much to you or anyone else really, but I will never do business with someone that treats people with zero respect.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

So when they die off or shut down their business, no more pinball sales for anyone

Most successful businesses will have people in the pipe to take over or will sell to new owners at time of retirement.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:
    One thing I will guarantee is attitudes such as these will not bring business. Not that it matters much to you or anyone else really, but I will never do business with someone that treats people with zero respect.

You want respect? earn it.

You want zero respect? come on Pinside.

But as others have said, there is no real formula to being a distributor nor roadmap. Best chances for success comes from getting out and pressing the flesh.

#35 2 years ago

Stern will not allow you to become a distributor if you are in the territory of another distributor. Are you close to Marcos? If so, you're out of luck.

#36 2 years ago

Start working for an existing distributor and learn the biz. Or reach out privately to every distributor not in your area and ask them. You'd be surprised how often just asking works. Don't let the pinside crowd get ya down. These are the same folks who start price bubble threads every few days.

#37 2 years ago

easy....just have to bribe the distributor fairy.

fairy (resized).jpgfairy (resized).jpg
    #38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

One thing I will guarantee is attitudes such as these will not bring business.

Irrelevant because you’ll never have a distributorship.

You’re too lazy to do the work of contacting product manufacturers yourself. Instead of building relationships with those manufacturers you want experienced distributors to spoon feed you the answers.

Good luck with that.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Irrelevant because you’ll never have a distributorship.
    You’re too lazy to do the work of contacting product manufacturers yourself. Instead of building relationships with those manufacturers you want experienced distributors to spoon feed you the answers.
    Good luck with that.

Asking a community for general information is lazy? Everyone has to start somewhere, why would I waste the manufactures time when I know absolutely nothing about it rather than get some idea of how things work first? Sure seems like the better route to take is to have some concept of what is involved before I start talking to them.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Florp:

" What legal reasons?

The ones on papers they signed with the manufacturer.

Which would be between them and no one else.

Go to each manufacturer you are interested in and knock on their door. Showing that much initiative might get your foot in the door. And be prepared for questions like do you have a building ? How much working capitol do you have on hand ?

And while you are working on all the paper work. They can and will change the rules.

Best wishes on your endeavor.

#41 2 years ago

Lloyd sums it up well. In a small Niche Industry, Territories in the past were given because no one was in the Region,
    and you had money. In addition, it would be based on a sound business position, Showroom, Advertising, existing customer base, etc. This, along with relationships is generally how Distributorships start.

A Manufacturer is trying to provide as much coverage, with some sense of price controls, to avoid competition
    hurting everyone for a few bucks. Of course we have laws, kinda. (You could try searching Court Cases against Rolex and Distributors)

What they avoid, is someone who is in an area covered, or seems more interested in how to get cheaper prices from buying wholesale for friends, under the shell of being a distributor.

So, You start by looking at where you would buy a game, from the area you wish to cover.
    If there is a vendor, not likely. If there isnt, you have the first leg in.

Then start with emails, phone calls, or visit all the majors at a trade show, or like IAPPA.

Dont be upset if it isnt open arms. They all, with the surge in demand, get asked every day.
    You are one of a long list of people.

Be professional. Be prepared. Be Memorable.

Good Luck.

#42 2 years ago

Lloyd, thanks for saying what I was trying to say in a more palatable manner.

I just think I'll add if you can't handle a few "snarky responses," operating a pinball distributorship - or in fact having anything to do with the pinball business - is NOT for you.

A trip through Candyland it ain't.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The ones on papers they signed with the manufacturer.
    Which would be between them and no one else.

Ah! The classic NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).

To OP: This is the reason why you won't get a straight answer here. The last thing a distributor wants to do is lose their distribution deal with (or get sued by) the manufacturer. Answering your question would break that NDA with the manufacturer.

LTG's advice is the best you're going to get in this situation.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lloyd, thanks for saying what I was trying to say in a more palatable manner.
    I just think I'll add if you can't handle a few "snarky responses," operating a pinball distributorship - or in fact having anything to do with the pinball business - is NOT for you.
    A trip through Candyland it ain't.

Plus, you're located in NYC. Snarky remarks and heavy sarcasm comes with the territory.

#45 2 years ago

Just to fact that the question is asked shows how little thought went into it.

This would be the correct way to frame your question.

"How can I get into a business that is super competitive, requires large outlays of cash and at this point has zero product for me to sell?"

#46 2 years ago

Hey OP, call the manufacturers and ask how you become a distributor. The numbers are on their web sites.

Candidly though, that should have been your first action if you are serious about trying to get in the business. You need to have your bonafides lined up before you make a call.

#47 2 years ago

Why would any distributor want to answer your questions? What is in it for them?

I would get people asking me to help them open up their own business, they had not shopped with me in the past, they were not going to shop with me in the future, but they wanted my most valuable asset, my knowledge, and they wanted it for free

#48 2 years ago

One of my buddies is a Stern and Jersey distro, Stern called him to ask if he was interested in being a distro. He's a former Bally Williams certified tech, been in the pin biz well over 30 years, known by everyone. So my advice is you should establish yourself in the industry for a good 10-20 years or so and go from there if you want to be a distro.
    B

#49 2 years ago

I'd just say step one is get money and credit. Like alot of it. Get a location to display games that has room to work on them and load and unload them. Go to festivals, call manufacturers, be present in the local (like 100 mile radius) pin community. And be persistent, know how to manage a business.

If your a distro, your in business and your business is gonna involve more than just new pinvall machines. Your gonna have to deal with old ones, ones that need repairs, arcade machines, pool tables, darts.

Your gonna want clientele like businesses like barcades, arcades, people who have money and buy pins regularly.

And in order to get clientele in the area that are currently getting their stuff elsewhere your gonna ha e to give them a reason to buy from you.

Not a distro so don't take my word as law, but all this stuff I've said seems like basic workings. Good luck and open that wallet.

#50 2 years ago

I think you have to send stern a 5 minute video on why you deserve to be a distributor?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-one-become-a-distributor?hl=largemouthass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.