(Topic ID: 89398)

How does Metallica premium compare to AcDc premium?

By rai

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-869.jpg
image.jpg
96247.jpg
20140331_172805.jpg
P1260025.JPG
P2230028.JPG
P1260040.JPG
IMG_5241[1].JPG
IMG_5205[1].JPG
IMG_5003[1].JPG
IMG_5001[1].JPG
IMG_5010[1].JPG
IMG_5002[1].JPG
IMG_5008[1].JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

IM rules are very simple compared to some newer games. After you wrap your head IM, try something like Xmen, or AC/DC.

Thats the beauty of IM.....Its all right infront of you and in the blink of an eye its all gone. Compared to some other deeper games that have come out recently i'd take IM over any of them without thinking twice.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Is there a better feeling In pinball then loading the cannon with the song jackpot built up over 100 mil and 3x running??? I can't think of anything. The only thing I've had that comes close is nailing that final shot in Jericho for 100mil or the final shot to finish super hero. But no game out there has ever made me sweat or keep me in edge like ACDC when in normal play with the song jackpot reaching crazy levels and figuring out the right time to cash it in.
Hats off to LFS!

Well hitting a 100 mil jackpot on Metallica crank it up with 2x scoring feels pretty close. And after making this shot, you absolutely never "awarded" with a left outlane drain.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

IM rules are very simple compared to some newer games. After you wrap your head IM, try something like Xmen, or AC/DC.

Yeah, I think you missed my point.

#104 9 years ago

I personally prefer Metallica Premium to AC/DC Premium. I don't care for either band, but I like the layout and toys on Metallica better.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Well hitting a 100 mil jackpot on Metallica crank it up with 2x scoring feels pretty close. And after making this shot, you absolutely never "awarded" with a left outlane drain.

Learn to nudge or slide save better. And I've had plenty of drains on my Metallica from the fuel lane shot off the wire guide to the left outlane. Most could be saved had I recognized it and made some kind of move.

Are you ever gonna stop combining about cheap drains? Maybe work on your nudging skills and you won't get as many???

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Learn to nudge or slide save better. And I've had plenty of drains on my Metallica from the fuel lane shot off the wire guide to the left outlane. blockquote>

Never happened to me,i always goes straight down the lane....maybe it's my Level that is that way ?

#107 9 years ago

I prejudged ACDC but ended up really enjoying it. I didn't grow up listening to their music but enjoy it. I could never own a Pro though, the sticker in place of the under playfield is so bad.

I prejudged Metallica too but ended up really enjoying the Premium on route - it has to be the best light show in pinball.

I agree with what's been said before, the Metallica Pro is much better than the ACDC Pro and Metallica ball times are much longer despite not feeling like a deeper pin. I prefer the look of the Metallica over the ACDC but YMMV.

That said, when I play at the local bar, I've been feeding quarters to the MET Pre and ST Pro over the ACDC Pre.

#108 9 years ago

When Lyman will be finish with MetallicA it will be a Bomb !

And Yes Wilsonza the light show is amazing on the newer Stern's,i can not wait to see what will be next
from Stern and mostly what Lyman will be working on next.

#109 9 years ago

I know I was asking about Met premium but have been thinking of getting Met pro and putting extra info the Refinery pro. Some say pro is as good as premium, any thoughts?

#110 9 years ago

As stated here and in other threads, you can easily justify the value of the pro but for the full game experience the premium is the only choice.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

As stated here and in other threads, you can easily justify the value of the pro but for the full game experience the premium is the only choice.

But I thought the hammer / magnet lock could miss a capture? If that's the case could that potentially ruin a good game? Also don't people prefer the captured ball to the square block? I'm not sure why Stern felt the block was needed when people are downgrading to a captured ball instead?

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

This. The Pro isn't "as good". It's just really good. And the hammer thing has some people getting strong feelings. Play them both first if you possibly can.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not sure why Stern felt the block was needed when people are downgrading to a captured ball instead?

Like 3 people have done that, don't start thinking it's that big a thing.

#114 9 years ago

I need to find a premium in my area so I can try it out.

#115 9 years ago

AC/DC Premium > Metallica Pro > Metallica Premium

AC/DC Premium is probably the best Stern since LOTR or TSPP, maybe better, but I'm not sure yet (too early to know). Metallica, both Pro and Premium, are close, but not quite there for me.

Between the two Metallica versions, however, I definitely prefer the Pro. The hammer is a problem spot, even with code updates and whatever. Mechanically it's not 100% reliable, and that's a bummer, because it's freaking awesome when it works as intended. Yeah, the spinner on the Premium is really, really cool, but the Pro plays better, so I like that one more. If money was no object at all, I'd still take the Pro. The Premium isn't bad or anything, of course.

#116 9 years ago

Never played a Metallica Pro but it seems like you'd be taking away one of the best parts - the lighting and light show is AMAZING on the Premium. We play in a dark bar and the blackout starting a ramp combo (I think that's it) and Sparky multiball is just crazy. I haven't played a Pro. With an LED kit, could that be duplicated in a Pro?

The hammer had pros and cons, I like it but could live without it. In my opinion, the motorized snake jaw and the motorized cross wouldn't be missed.

Metallica Premium's seem to be obtainable in the mid-$5k range:

ebay.com link: Metallica Pro Pinball Machine customized

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/12099

What are Pros running? Add $100 - $200 for LEDs? For less than $1k difference, I think I'd go with the Premium.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

Never played a Metallica Pro but it seems like you'd be taking away one of the best parts - the lighting and light show is AMAZING on the Premium. We play in a dark bar and the blackout starting a ramp combo (I think that's it) and Sparky multiball is just crazy. I haven't played a Pro. With an LED kit, could that be duplicated in a Pro?

Can't duplicate on a Pro, it's really one of the nicer parts of the Premium now with the new code.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can't duplicate on a Pro, it's really one of the nicer parts of the Premium now with the new code.

You really can get pretty close to be honest. When I moved from pro to premium, I did not feel like the lighting got much better than my decked out pro. The only thing that improved was fade to black dimming. The rest of the light show was very well augmented with some custom flasher mods on the pro. The insert colors were way better on the pro also. I managed to fix this on the premium but it was really a lot of work since in some cases it required soldering surface mounted LEDs on circuit boards.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You really can get pretty close to be honest.

The lighting on the Pro can be LED'd out to look perfectly nice, but it will never have the interactive GI. There's more to it than just the Fade to Black dimming, Lyman programmed in other color changes and fades.

I haven't played the new code much or recently, so I'm just going by memory here, but examples I can think of are the red GI during For Whom the Bell Tolls, the way the lights dim when Sparky charges up or when you dig down into the mystery levels. Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong or if there are more examples, I just remember thinking it was very cool, and that I wouldn't want to give it up.

Is that worth the extra money? Only you can decide, but it's just simply a fact that the Pro cannot do what the Premium does, no matter how many LEDs you add.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lighting on the Pro can be LED'd out to look perfectly nice, but it will never have the interactive GI. There's more to it than just the Fade to Black dimming, Lyman programmed in other color changes and fades.
I haven't played the new code much or recently, so I'm just going by memory here, but examples I can think of are the red GI during For Whom the Bell Tolls, the way the lights dim when Sparky charges up or when you dig down into the mystery levels. Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong or if there are more examples, I just remember thinking it was very cool, and that I wouldn't want to give it up.
Is that worth the extra money? Only you can decide, but it's just simply a fact that the Pro cannot do what the Premium does, no matter how many LEDs you add.

I understand. But the led GI show on Metallica is not nearly as significant as say xmen or acdc. And with some unique flasher mods, you can simulate a lot of the impact pretty well. Light strip mounted flashers on the apron hooked into the ramp flashers, sparky flasher, etc give off a lot of similar light show. Keep in mind I actually own both machines: premium in my house, pro in my shop and have a good basis for comparison. We will have the pro with this all on it at the nw pinball show (probably too far for you).

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

We will have the pro with this all on it at the nw pinball show (probably too far for you).

Yeah, not likely I'll make it, though my mom does live in Eugene and I'm up there sometimes.

Anyways, I'm kind of a hammer hater, and thought I'd just get the Pro, but when I saw the GI light show I started changing my mind, so for me at least the extra control there is a feature that matters.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, not likely I'll make it, though my mom does live in Eugene and I'm up there sometimes.
Anyways, I'm kind of a hammer hater, and thought I'd just get the Pro, but when I saw the GI light show I started changing my mind, so for me at least the extra control there is a feature that matters.

Next time you're in Eugene and want to drive up, let me know. I can assemble a few pinsiders here for the event

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Next time you're in Eugene and want to drive up, let me know. I can assemble a few pinsiders here for the event

Sounds like a plan!

#124 9 years ago

AC/DC had a HUGE advantage over Tallica & pretty much all other Stern's because S. Ritchie did all the speech. Metallica members just recorded some phrases,went home,& Lyman had to piece them together. Steve was there for the whole ride,& could add anything at any moment. Thats a big reason why its so good. There's still sound clips in the game that aren't even used!

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I think you missed my point.

Probably did. I do that a lot.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

AC/DC had a HUGE advantage over Tallica & pretty much all other Stern's because S. Ritchie did all the speech. Metallica members just recorded some phrases,went home,& Lyman had to piece them together. Steve was there for the whole ride,& could add anything at any moment. Thats a big reason why its so good. There's still sound clips in the game that aren't even used!

I think in the area of call-outs, neither game is all that great. But I definitely think Metallica call-outs are way more entertaining and fun than AC/DC. Sparky has some great ones. And the band members also have some decent callouts.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think in the area of call-outs, neither game is all that great. But I definitely think Metallica call-outs are way more entertaining and fun than AC/DC. Sparky has some great ones. And the band members also have some decent callouts.

Wow. Not even close in my book.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sparky has some great ones.

I wish there were a ton more Sparky callouts. He should be taunting you the whole game, more like Rudy.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wish there were a ton more Sparky callouts. He should be taunting you the whole game, more like Rudy.

I've yet to be able to play Metallica in a location where I can actually hear the sound (frustrating!), but I like this idea.

#130 9 years ago

Instead of lame, unnecessary call-outs, AC/DC has the very satisfying crowd cheering which is very effective at making you feel like a rock star and establishing the rock concert vibe that gives the game so much energy.

#131 9 years ago

I love the Sparky call-outs! I hope they add more with the new band member code…

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Instead of lame, unnecessary call-outs, AC/DC has the very satisfying crowd cheering which is very effective at making you feel like a rock star and establishing the rock concert vibe that gives the game so much energy.

I also love the guitar fills you get on jackpots. So cool.

I'm not a big fan of the Metallica callouts. You can tell it's just Hetfield reading a script any time he speaks and his "Electric Chai-uh!" is pretty annoying. The rest are fine, I guess. More Sparky would have been a good idea.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I also love the guitar fills you get on jackpots. So cool.
I'm not a big fan of the Metallica callouts. You can tell it's just Hetfield reading a script any time he speaks and his "Electric Chai-uh!" is pretty annoying. The rest are fine, I guess. More Sparky would have been a good idea.

Of course! How did I fail to mention the multiball jackpot riffs! I love those!

They are very well done. I wonder who recorded them?

#134 9 years ago

Aurich are you & billybike69 having a spat?

Anyway I will prolly go Pro on MET if I get one. No way I'd pay for a janky ass inconsistant ball lock.

"That snake is meeeeean" is a shitty call out among a few others so I's say ACDC has better sound by far. MET has the dank artwork tho...

Get a Luci & Met Pro with LED's

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

This dude knows what's up. Two fantastic games, luckily one has a great option at a lower price point.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

He's just iceman's downvote puppet, nothing worth even wasting a brain cell over.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

How could they possibly be having a spat when billybike69 doesn't post? Ever.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Anyway I will prolly go Pro on MET if I get one. No way I'd pay for a janky ass inconsistant ball lock.
"That snake is meeeeean" is a shitty call out among a few others so I's say ACDC has better sound by far. MET has the dank artwork tho...

Sorry the premium is still the way to go over the Pro. Just spend $10 more n buy one of these. I've Actually had more success locking balls since making the switch.image-869.jpgimage-869.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sorry the premium is still the way to go over the Pro. Just spend $10 more n buy one of these. I've Actually had more success locking balls since making the switch.

More success for $10?

Actually it's $2010 for some shit that stil doesn't work right.

I just cannot live with that. I'd lose my F'n mind,.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

More success for $10?
Actually it's $2010 for some shit that stil doesn't work right.
I just cannot live with that. I'd lose my F'n mind,.

It works pretty good as the ball tends not to kick back very hard off the captive ball. Yes shots to the sides of the ball wont lock as they shouldnt since it wasnt as good a shot as need be. But add all the rest you get with a Premium (better snake mech, Color changer inserts, code controlled GI, Spinners that work great in fade to black, and a physical ball lock that works quite well once you learn how to shoot for it)

All this adds up to a better game IMO. Had I bought the Pro i'd always feel like I was playing the dumbed down version of the game.

#141 9 years ago

Well, as long as you're happy.

I see your point about playing the pro & feeling like you're missing out on something but if I had the LE/Prem I'd feel like I'm missing out on something too... $2000 & a proper ball lock

I'm not letting a fluttering snake jaw & a cross that moves up 2" slowly convince me to buy a bucked out ball lock for $2K

I'm almost mad at this nonsense (the flaw not our convo) because the Prem/LE should be better!

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

I've yet to be able to play Metallica in a location where I can actually hear the sound (frustrating!), but I like this idea.

Yep, the wife and son was at PHoF in Vegas playing the premium Metallica, and asked how she liked it and she said it was good, but the sound was to low to enjoy or hear the call-outs. We wont have that problem at home dear!! My son told me that Metallica was easy for him, he is a good player for 16, but doubt metallica is easy. He said ramp shots were satisfying shots in the game, grave marker when it rises is a great feature. I have not played one yet or a Star Trek, but buying both premiums anyway.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sorry the premium is still the way to go over the Pro. Just spend $10 more n buy one of these. I've Actually had more success locking balls since making the switch.

image.jpg 246 KB

image-869.jpg 274 KB

straight forward install? I got my assembly for captive ball in the mail yesterday, just waiting for machine to install. I hope to get this installed right after unboxing and play first ball. So my understanding is there is 2 lock nuts and one bolt to remove the block and that's it, it will pull right off or is there anything else to know? I thought Newton ball were secured with bolt under the playfield, but with this assembly seems the captive ball gets sandwiched to be held in place.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

straight forward install? I got my assembly for captive ball in the mail yesterday, just waiting for machine to install. I hope to get this installed right after unboxing and play first ball. So my understanding is there is 2 lock nuts and one bolt to remove the block and that's it, it will pull right off or is there anything else to know? I thought Newton ball were secured with bolt under the playfield, but with this assembly seems the captive ball gets sandwiched to be held in place.

Took me about 10 mins to install. It's tight and you may need to remover the hammer from the handle (1 nut and a screw) but it's pretty easy once it's off.

#145 9 years ago

My Pops has both so I played them both for a while then I went with a nib Luci 100%. Met is nice but the speed compared to AcDc is painfully slow (especially on Met left loop). Also not a Met fan so music doesn't do it for me even when hooked up to a sub. Great great artwork on Metallica. Would still own one. If I had to have only one it would definitely be AcDc!

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Well, as long as you're happy.
I see your point about playing the pro & feeling like you're missing out on something but if I had the LE/Prem I'd feel like I'm missing out on something too... $2000 & a proper ball lock
I'm not letting a fluttering snake jaw & a cross that moves up 2" slowly convince me to buy a bucked out ball lock for $2K
I'm almost mad at this nonsense (the flaw not our convo) because the Prem/LE should be better!

Wiz, you keep posting that the lock is an issue. Not sure if it's because mine was a more recent build (didn't need to upgrade the hammer board), but I don't have any problems whatsoever.

Anyone else still having issues?

#147 9 years ago

As I understand it, up to ACDC the premiums basically had the LE cabinet hardware. Now the premiums have just the pro cabinet hardware? Does this include the cheesy lockdown bar clasps? Hmm but wait, ST Premium looks like it has the side rail armor on it so Stern really isn't being consistent here. Why then did they cheap out on the MET Premium cabinet?

Rob

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Wiz, you keep posting that the lock is an issue. Not sure if it's because mine was a more recent build (didn't need to upgrade the hammer board), but I don't have any problems whatsoever.

I have one on order so I'll try to report back when I have it.

I have a question about this lock feature. If the magnet can sense the ball presence (eddy sensor?), why not just have the lock lit and whenever the ball randomly goes over the magnet it is then trapped and locked? That is if it fails the lock the first time.

Rob

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

As I understand it, up to ACDC the premiums basically had the LE cabinet hardware. Now the premiums have just the pro cabinet hardware? Does this include the cheesy lockdown bar clasps? Hmm but wait, ST Premium looks like it has the side rail armor on it so Stern really isn't being consistent here. Why then did they cheap out on the MET Premium cabinet?
Rob

Great question. My Premium does have the LE version of the lockdown bar, but I do miss the side armor.
I knew that before I bought it, but still feel as though all Premiums should get the side armor.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Hammer is awesome here and Lock is great...Smashing Balls into the playfield is such a trill,love the sound
Love the Game....Fits me perfect !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

16,500 (Firm)
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-metallica-premium-compare-to-acdc-premium/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.