How does BDK scarecrow know?

By Shenanigander

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Can someone please let me know how the scarecrow scoop knows whether the ball has entered the scoop from the front or the back?

If it enters from the back then you will not get multiball scarecrow progress but if you enter from the front you do.

My problem is that sometimes I enter the front and do not get credit. And sometimes I enter the back and DO get credit. I have tried to adjust the switch 5 times and still not 100%. Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

The only way it knows is based on the switches behind it. If any if those trigger then shortly after you're in the scoop, it assumes it came from the back. It's not perfect detection either since it really doesn't have the necessary switches to do this right.

#3 10 years ago

The issue is especially noticable in batsignal multiball where if any ball is in the pops, any good shots made to the scarecrow scoop will not register.

However, I rarely had a problem with the scoop confusing shots during single ball mode. The only time the scoop would not register would be if the ball sped out of the pops and I instantly shot that scoop.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

The issue is especially noticable in batsignal multiball where if any ball is in the pops, any good shots made to the scarecrow scoop will not register.

Which is a total pain in the butt....

#5 10 years ago

never thought about it, but AFM is similar. The scoop "knows" and won't give an extra ball when the ball enters from the pop. Pretty Cool!

#6 10 years ago

I'm okay with that, but in multiball, it is ridiculous.

I think even AFM allows the extra ball in multiball regardless of what direction the scoop is hit.

#7 10 years ago

yes, during multiball it hooks you up

#8 10 years ago

Ok that makes sense. Even in single ball play sometimes I hit the scoop, vuk fires, but no credit for a scarecrow hit. Cant figure this out cause switch is registering or the vuk would not fire?

#9 10 years ago

That's really strange. Are you running the latest code release?

#10 10 years ago

Another thought is maybe one of the switches in the pop area is too sensitive. You might try putting the game into switch test mode, then shake the pf a bit and thump it with your fist in areas while watching the matrix to make sure no switches are false registering.

#11 10 years ago

That is strange. Mine has perfect detection every time.

#12 10 years ago

Ok I checked and do have latest software. I also put in switch test and wiggled the machine around and around the pops. No finicky switches.

I'm at a loss for why occasionally during single ball play the scarecrow switch wont give me credit from the front. Ill monitor it more closely and see if maybe it is in fact happening only in multiball play or maybe I'm running a mode when this is happening although I'm sure the yellow insert has been lit when this happens sometimes.

#13 10 years ago

any news

#14 10 years ago

not yet. i have been busy moving my new IJ downstairs and moving my BOP up to sell it. also working on a few IJ fixes but she is up and running nicely. ill try to make a point to play the crap out of BDK later today and see what i find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-bdk-scarecrow-know and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.