Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jvspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sandro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago

I think the OP might be asking how does a potential difference exist at the gate of the FET since there is no apparent place for current to flow. With the caveat that I haven't been anywhere near a course on this stuff in 30+ years, [nevermind, I just looked into FETs more closely, and my understanding was incorrect]

With a bipolar transistor (I'm on more familiar ground here), s small amount of current applied to the base-collector pair of pins allows a much larger amount of current to flow from the emitter to the collector (at least for NPN transistors). At least that's what I remember from the rudimentary electronics I learned in high school.

I now know that the gate, source and drain of a FET are roughly equivalent to the base, emitter, and collector of a BJT (thanks wikipedia).

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'd understand if the power flowing from gate to a ground created a magnetic field and moved something.

Actually, nothing "moves" inside a transistor in the practical sense. At the atomic level, charge is being transferred, but nothing is moving. Magnetic movement based on current would be a relay (which was used for switching before transistors).

Quoted from EvanDickson:

But I'm not sure how applying a low voltage to just a point, without somewhere for that voltage to flow to, can cause work to happen.

Voltage isn't being applied to a point. All transistors have some current flow from the gate (or base) to either the drain (collector), the source (emitter), or if available the body (substrate). The actual configuration of the current flow is based on the circuit, application, and particular type of transistor used.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sandro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-a-transistor-gate-work?tu=sandro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.