Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jvspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Pinball-ish question.
    Ok, so a transistor has a gate, a source, and a drain. I get that when the gate is closed, electricity can flow from the source to the drain.
    But I don't get how simply applying voltage to a single pin can close the gate. I'd understand if the power flowing from gate to a ground created a magnetic field and moved something. But I'm not sure how applying a low voltage to just a point, without somewhere for that voltage to flow to, can cause work to happen.

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.

The simple answer is the voltage on the gate of the FET creates a charge. It's this charge that turns the transistor on or off. No gate current is needed for this action to occur. Since no current flows through the gate the gate doesn't draw any power, as power requires both voltage and current (P=VxI).

Kind of like if you put a charge on a balloon by rubbing it on your head, your hair will move towards the balloon without any current flowing between your hair and the balloon (no power required).

A bipolar transistor (base, emitter, collector) is functionally similar to a FET, but it's base does require current flow and it's internal operation is very different than the FET.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I was trying to figure out what work is supposed to be done if there is no ground for the current applied to the gate pin

One thing to keep in mind. If a voltage is applied it has to be referenced to some point. If the low side isn't specified then it's implied to be ground (or the lowest potential in the circuit).

Think of a battery. If you only connect the (+) terminal and leave the (-) terminal floating, the battery won't do anything.

In the case of an n-channel MOSFET, the connection on the source acts as the low (-) potential and would provide the current ('ground') path you're looking for. Even though the MOSFET gate doesn't require any current to operate, it still needs the voltage (potential, charge) difference between the gate and the source to turn on.

In electronics, I think it's helpful to understand that the components don't know what "ground" means, their operation is only based on the potential differences between their connections.

Don't know if this makes things clearer or more confusing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-a-transistor-gate-work?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.