Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ikrananka
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have been hearing about a possible kit to fix the bugs on the Hobbit (i.e. Trapped balls, troll problems, wireform issues etc) here on Pinside always looking for an announcement or maybe even an email from JJP but I have heard nothing so far. I came across an article from Pinball Supernova (https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/mods-jersey-jack-hobbit-upgrade-kit-springs-plastics-and-wire-forms/) and there is talk about it being released but I cannot find any other news on this.

Does anyone know if this kit has been released?

If it has, how can a normal guy like me who actually follows pinball more than the average guy (since I scan Pinside generally every day to try and find out about these things) get news and info on ordering these things. Do I have to be a Facebook follower of JJP ? Do I have to call Jen weekly? Do I have to submit a repair ticket with Jersey Jack to say I have problems occasionally with balls being stuck or balls flying off of the wireforms. Neither of these options are attractive to me

Is the ideology to not advertise these things and wait for someone to complain to make it known...sort of the squeaky wheel gets oiled, but only if someone complains that it is squeaky...otherwise those that can tolerate it being squeaky can just put up with it.

By the way, I have purchased both of JJPs machines directly from JJP and was an early investor and still don't know the answer to these questions. Maybe I just need a distributor?

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Go to the JJP website and fill out a support ticket and ask for one. I did this a couple weeks ago and got an email response saying they were going to send it but still haven't gotten anything. When I emailed victor to follow up about it he said they were shipping them at the end of the month.

#3 7 years ago

Does anyone know if one has to fill out a support ticket or will they notify and possibly send the kit automatically to game owners?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Does anyone know if one has to fill out a support ticket or will they notify and possibly send the kit automatically to game owners?

Quoted from twenty84:

Go to the JJP website and fill out a support ticket and ask for one.

(I doubt they're going to send one to EVERYBODY nor do they have your address, that's a huge waste of money if some people don't care for it)

#5 7 years ago

BTW...They have my address since they sent me my machine that I purchased from them

If they don't want to send to EVERYBODY, will they at least send an announcement out so that those that are putting up with the squeaky wheel actually know there is a fix? Somewhat like the recall notices I get for my cars in the mail from time to time. I would suggest that course of action would be somewhat appropriate.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

BTW...They have my address since they sent me my machine that I purchased from them
If they don't want to send to EVERYBODY, will they at least send an announcement out so that those that are putting up with the squeaky wheel actually know there is a fix? Somewhat like the recall notices I get for my cars in the mail from time to time. I would suggest that course of action would be somewhat appropriate.

Once again, they don't have everyone's phone number or address. They're not psychics or magicians.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Once again, they don't have everyone's phone number or address. They're not psychics or magicians.

Thus an announcement might be appropriate, even if it is on their website...which it isn't at this time

I do believe they have a number of their clientele's contact info including email addresses, phone numbers etc...especially in my case since I have purchased both machines directly from them. I suppose they could also let the distributors know as well who might contact their buyers. My cars manufacturer company has that info even though I purchased it from a distributor. They send a simple letter out. Maybe not the commitment a Pinball manufacturer wants to make, I guess.

My point is you guys are in the know...incredibly knowledgable about these things. I would think that they would want happy customers even if that customer does not study Pinside. Releasing info about a tune up like this would be helpful for the less dedicated collector who still spends a lot of money on these toys.

#8 7 years ago

By the way, I am glad all you Pinsiders were there to help me find out about the kit

Thank you!!!

#9 7 years ago

As a JJP Distributor I have been advising my customers to call JJP Tech support (732-364-9900 x222) and talk with Frank (or Victor). Please have your serial number and build date in hand (machines built after 07/15/2016 do not need the updates as they were installed at the factory).

This will be the fastest and easiest way for you to get the update kit.

Christopher

#10 7 years ago

Am I right in thinking that the early games had a serious wireform problem and now Jack is selling ones that work properly for $89?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Am I right in thinking that the early games had a serious wireform problem and now Jack is selling ones that work properly for $89?

I don't think so, unless you know of a different issue? The kit fixes a potential trapped ball at the end of the wireform by replacing a nut with a post. If you want to go all out you can buy a new wireform for $89, but the post fixes the issue perfectly well.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

By the way, I am glad all you Pinsiders were there to help me find out about the kit
Thank you!!!

I guess I am missing the point of your thread. People have advised you to open a ticket with JJP. You somehow didn't like this response so you then proceed with telling everyone that they should just send it to "everyone". And then you wanted them to make an announcement on their website. So which is it? Do you want help or do you just want to complain here? Because to be honest you are just coming off looking like a troll.

#13 7 years ago

I agree with TxJay. Why would they want to publicise a minor issue in such a way that makes it seem like it's a big issue?

Product recalls (for cars or any other appliance) occur when there is a serious health or safety risk. If that was the case THEN I'd expect JJP to be proactively contacting customers, but ... we're just talking about a potential for stuck balls here right?

#14 7 years ago

This thread seems to be more of a JJP bash opportunity rather than a legit request for help....

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

I don't think so, unless you know of a different issue? The kit fixes a potential trapped ball at the end of the wireform by replacing a nut with a post. If you want to go all out you can buy a new wireform for $89, but the post fixes the issue perfectly well.

If you watch the you tube "JJP Hobbit Faults v1.21 software " by arcadeuk ( 11 mins in ) is that something that can be solved by a post or does it need a new wireform ?

#16 7 years ago

I bought my machine from a distributor. For the upgrade kit, I went to JJP's website to the Support Portal and filled out a ticket to ask for the kit. Kit was received less than 2 weeks later.

Very straightforward.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

If you watch the you tube "JJP Hobbit Faults v1.21 software " by arcadeuk ( 11 mins in ) is that something that can be solved by a post or does it need a new wireform ?

Ah, in fairness, probably not. The Hobbit that I've played on had an infrequent issue on the end of that wireform where it could get stuck on the left (which the post now acts as a fix for). The issue ArcadeUK is describing I don't think I've seen before, but knowing Luke he's probably got it set up insanely steep An entirely new wireform may help in that case.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Thus an announcement might be appropriate, even if it is on their website...which it isn't at this time
I do believe they have a number of their clientele's contact info including email addresses, phone numbers etc...especially in my case since I have purchased both machines directly from them. I suppose they could also let the distributors know as well who might contact their buyers. My cars manufacturer company has that info even though I purchased it from a distributor. They send a simple letter out. Maybe not the commitment a Pinball manufacturer wants to make, I guess.
My point is you guys are in the know...incredibly knowledgable about these things. I would think that they would want happy customers even if that customer does not study Pinside. Releasing info about a tune up like this would be helpful for the less dedicated collector who still spends a lot of money on these toys.

They did make an announcement. Though, I am not sure if this is what you were hoping for specifically.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

I agree with TxJay. Why would they want to publicise a minor issue in such a way that makes it seem like it's a big issue?
Product recalls (for cars or any other appliance) occur when there is a serious health or safety risk. If that was the case THEN I'd expect JJP to be proactively contacting customers, but ... we're just talking about a potential for stuck balls here right?

Quoted from jungle:

Guys

I am not trying to bash JJP. I own 2 of their machines and was an early purchaser for both. And certainly I am not a troll...C'mon I have been collecting for over 10 years and have been on this site for years.

My point has been that I felt I had to work hard to find out about this kit even though I had been aware of the issues and noted in Pinside threads that a kit would be released. Even when I was looking for info of a release of this kit on Pinside I could not find an announcement. Even when I went on JJP website I could not find info on it...and I guess I did not think to open a ticket for repair when it was not a broken game per se but somewhat of an enhancement opportunity.

I felt as a customer service gesture, it should be easier. That is all.

The games JJP has made are great. I respect the company for starting up and trying to build quality machines. I respect the Guarnieri family for their dedication to pinball...

And I thank those that helped me figure out how to get the kit. There are many here on this site that are more dedicated and have pinball experiences that I do not have. I got my response on how to get the kit by opening a ticket as you say and I am good. I got great advice from fellow Pinsiders...I am happy. No drama please

#20 7 years ago

I tend to agree with the OP. I did not even know that the kit existed until a patron notified our staff of an update kit to remedy these issues. At the end of the day I do not expect JJP to notify customers, however they should notify their distributors. The role of the distributor is to assist the customer with any type of issues that arise with the game, thus why they make money on their sales. Distributors seem to have dropped the ball on notifying customers but that's just my opinion. When similar things like this occur in my day job, I notify customers who have ordered affected problems and let them know that there is an option for a fix. It does not cost me anything to do so as the supplier is the one sending the kits our and all it does is ensure that my customers are taken care of. Just another way to demonstrate to customers how important a partner/distributor is to keep them running smoothly and even before they experience a problem they know that we as their distributors are looking out for their best interest.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I tend to agree with the OP. I did not even know that the kit existed until a patron notified our staff of an update kit to remedy these issues. At the end of the day I do not expect JJP to notify customers, however they should notify their distributors. The role of the distributor is to assist the customer with any type of issues that arise with the game, thus why they make money on their sales. Distributors seem to have dropped the ball on notifying customers but that's just my opinion. When similar things like this occur in my day job, I notify customers who have ordered affected problems and let them know that there is an option for a fix. It does not cost me anything to do so as the supplier is the one sending the kits our and all it does is ensure that my customers are taken care of. Just another way to demonstrate to customers how important a partner/distributor is to keep them running smoothly and even before they experience a problem they know that we as their distributors are looking out for their best interest.

do not lump all distributors together. ALL of my customers were made aware of this update kit and i will be installing some of them personally. perhaps you need to find a better distributor to make your next purchase from... hint, hint.... there is one just north of you in another state.

#22 7 years ago

I'd also suggest emailing Jen at jjp and asking her to add you to the owners forum. An email was sent out to everyone on there on August 3rd notifying them about the kit and exactly how to request one. I had mine in about a week.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

do not lump all distributors together. ALL of my customers were made aware of this update kit and i will be installing some of them personally. perhaps you need to find a better distributor to make your next purchase from... hint, hint.... there is one just north of you in another state.

I've never had a complaint with my friends at kingpin. Your dad was one of my first contacts and couldn't tell you how many games he helped me find.

Sorry I wasn't lumping all of them together, just saying that it was not really jjp responsibility to try and do all the leg work. Good distributors are in valuable, the bad ones weed themselves out over time, likely the reason king pin has lasted generations at this point.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Pinball manufacturers do not keep full records of purchasing owners or operators. It is the personal responsibility of an owner to contact their distributor first in this case (or direct manufacture technical line) for correction based on design or code updates. This includes any repair fixes, parts replacements, or kits.

Private owners are the the new equivalent of the modern operator.
This industry does not work like factory recall notices for cars or any other consumer product at this time.

All pinball owners must be willing to make the necessary actions of calls to keep their machines operational. This includes reading game service bulletins.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

As a JJP Distributor I have been advising my customers to call JJP Tech support (732-364-9900 x222) and talk with Frank (or Victor). Please have your serial number and build date in hand (machines built after 07/15/2016 do not need the updates as they were installed at the factory).
This will be the fastest and easiest way for you to get the update kit.
Christopher

Totally agree with this. This is what I did.

#26 7 years ago

They did notify everyone.
They posted it awhile ago on the official owners forum with instructions, how to get it, what it comes with, pictures of the kit etc...

#27 7 years ago

The JJP website notification is a "game service bulletin".

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

They did notify everyone.
They posted it awhile ago on the official owners forum with instructions, how to get it, what it comes with, pictures of the kit etc...

Could you please provide a link to the official owners forum- thanks.

#29 7 years ago

Has ANYONE rec'd their kit yet?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Has ANYONE rec'd their kit yet?

I received mine last week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-a-hobbit-owner-get-the-upgrade-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.