(Topic ID: 174152)

How does 1 player Gottlieb game over, post game-over-relay-era, work?

By Otaku

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

One of the final issues I'm having with my Sky Jump is that the ball continues to kick out after the game is supposed to be over. The unit goes to the game over position and the backglass light comes on but the ball will infinitely kick out.

An interesting note about this state, some playfield features don't work but there are ones that do but eventually it locks on each point relay as you hit them and you need to turn the game off and on again to avoid burning up coils. This isn't an issue with my machine - it works fine when it's not in game over.

Anywho, is it one of the switches on the back of the ball count unit as I suspect? I'm obviously a bit lost after only wrapping my head around the whole game over circuit in earlier machines from the late 60's and successfully repairing a few of those. I'd like to learn this one just as well to have in my basic knowledge set for not only this machine but future ones as well. These newer games lack a game over relay.

(Before anybody asks, yes, the ball count unit disc contacts are clean! "It has to be the unit, it's never the score motor"... and then I ended up with two different Gottlieb games where the second one gave me the same exact problem a little while after the first - both were missing/lost a switch stack spacer at 1A)

Thanks!

Otaku

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys.

Quoted from Darcy:

It could be the switch for the last ball relay. As you know that stepper should be lighting the ball counters in the backglass. When the stepper is off, a continuous game can occur. Mostly the game just sends the ball to shooter lane, as the ball triggers the trough switch the game shuts off the playfield functions leaving the playfield lit. It will not be in TILT.
Those steppers fall out of adjustment a lot. Especially when the shaft is worn, where the set screws jam against the shaft.

This is a new-to-me stepper unit I bought and installed since the other one was a total basket case. It is aligned properly, made sure of it when I installed it and adjusted it as needed. It also lights all of the counters on the backglass correctly, including game over once it reaches the end of the stepper/the last step.

I think trying to switch it to 3-ball (from the link above) is a smart idea, will narrow it down. I'm betting it's one of those switches on the back of the unit - I assume that's where the switch(es) for the last ball relay is/are.

I swapped those (the switch stack) to the new unit (didn't solder on the ones that came with the unit, waste of time/work/parts, only two screws) but I did remove them in the past so I will check my solder work as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-1-player-gottlieb-game-over-post-game-over-relay-era-work?tu=Otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.