(Topic ID: 169332)

how do you upgrade the hobbit version 1.31?

By Monarca1091

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1474493981234-332009810 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

i just got a hobbit and i cant install the newest version , is there a video anywhere showing how to upgrade this pin.....thanks

#2 7 years ago

In order to get the update to install properly follow the steps below.

1. Format your thumb drive
2. After downloading the update right click on the zip file and click "Extract All" (assuming you are on a PC)
3. Change your file destination to the root of your thumb drive and select "Extract"

Myself and others have ran into issues with updates failing to install if the file is first extracted / unzipped locally and then copied over to the thumb drive.

#3 7 years ago

i had the initial code from factory 0.8 and upgraded to 1.01 with no problem but i cant g3t the 1.30 version on ....

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In order to get the update to install properly follow the steps below.
1. Format your thumb drive
2. After downloading the update right click on the zip file and click "Extract All" (assuming you are on a PC)
3. Change your file destination to the root of your thumb drive and select "Extract"
Myself and others have ran into issues with updates failing to install if the file is first extracted / unzipped locally and then copied over to the thumb drive.

i followed exactly the step you tolled me and my monitor went blank ...first the monitor and then the lights in the pinball is this normal?

1474493981234-332009810 (resized).jpg1474493981234-332009810 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

i followed exactly the step you tolled me and my monitor went blank ...first the monitor and then the lights in the pinball is this normal?

Did it say updating and then go blank ? If so yes. Let it run until it reboots. If you turned it off, you'll need to reload a full install of 1.01 and then the update.

Here is for a delta update :

I use a PNY USB stick 8GB. Some brands don't work.

The update is a delta, not a full install.

I'm using a pc. Download the update, place on my desktop. It is a zipped folder. I left click it once, then right click and a list comes up, I click on extract all and send to a formatted fat 32 memory stick with nothing else on it.

When done I go to the machine with the machine turned on. Open coin door, plug in memory stick. Go to utilities and then to USB update and do what the screen says.

The screen will say update in progress. then go black. Just wait, eventually after 5 to 10 minutes the game will turn back on. Then remove memory stick and you are done.

Instructions for a full install are in the rear of the manual available here if you don't have it :

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/

LTG : )

#6 7 years ago

Quick question (new THLE owner).
What if you don't have a PC?
Has anyone used their Mac to download JJP software updates?
If it doesn't work well on a Mac I guess I can see if any neighbors have a PC I can borrow (but unfortunately I don't know much about PCs anymore since I've been working on Macs since 2002).

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

What if you don't have a PC?

It can be done on a Mac. Might be slightly different. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did it say updating and then go blank ? If so yes. Let it run until it reboots. If you turned it off, you'll need to reload a full install of 1.01 and then the update.
Here is for a delta update :
I use a PNY USB stick 8GB. Some brands don't work.
The update is a delta, not a full install.
I'm using a pc. Download the update, place on my desktop. It is a zipped folder. I left click it once, then right click and a list comes up, I click on extract all and send to a formatted fat 32 memory stick with nothing else on it.
When done I go to the machine with the machine turned on. Open coin door, plug in memory stick. Go to utilities and then to USB update and do what the screen says.
The screen will say update in progress. then go black. Just wait, eventually after 5 to 10 minutes the game will turn back on. Then remove memory stick and you are done.
Instructions for a full install are in the rear of the manual available here if you don't have it :
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/

Hi LTG ....thanks for all the help....but after i installed the upgrade the way you tolled me , i even bought a memory stick of the brand you recomended, the monitor goes black , so i left it for about 20 minutes and it never said it was done ....it kinda wants to resart it says a few white small letters in the left top corner but then vanish in about a second ....then its all black again for 30 seconds and the letters start popping up again and it does the same thing over and over .....any advise what should i do next ?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

it never said it was done ..

It never says done - it should just reboot to attract mode. Heck, leave it sit for 30 0r 40 minutes, won't hurt anything.

I'd start all over. Install 1.01. Then start with a fresh download of 1.31. ( Unless your game works fine, then try a new download of 1.31 )

Back of the manual has instructions for a full install - http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/

Maybe your copy of 1.31 was corrupted ?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It never says done - it should just reboot to attract mode. Heck, leave it sit for 30 0r 40 minutes, won't hurt anything.
I'd start all over. Install 1.01. Then start with a fresh download of 1.31. ( Unless your game works fine, then try a new download of 1.31 )
Back of the manual has instructions for a full install - http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/
Maybe your copy of 1.31 was corrupted ?

everytime i try to do a 1.31 it don't work so i need to do a fresh 1.01 install.....im going to try and leave it for 30 to 40 minutes.....but ive heard from everyone who's done it that it only takes a few minutes to upgrade ....my hobbit is one of the first hobbits ever built can that be a problem ?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

that it only takes a few minutes to upgrade

Not true. I've done it more than a few times, I just leave it run and come back to it. When the game boots back up to attract mode it is done.

If your screen says update in progress and then goes black, and then you turn it off and it doesn't work - you aren't leaving it run long enough. That is a classic example of screwing it up.

#12 7 years ago

thanks i really appreciate all the help....im going to let it run for more time, what is the maximum time i should let it run with a black screen ?

#13 7 years ago

There's always the option of getting a pre-imaged USB. At least you'll know that the image is good, and the USB stick will work...

www.LockWhenLit.com/Products.htm

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

what is the maximum time i should let it run with a black screen ?

I'd give up at an hour.

#15 7 years ago

i did 1 hour and 20 min and no response....so i installed again a fresh 1.01 code.....no luck ....

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

i did 1 hour and 20 min and no response....so i installed again a fresh 1.01 code.....no luck ....

Something is wrong. Your 1.31 isn't working on the memory stick right. No idea why.

You might get a pre loaded one from Borygard. Or call JJP tomorrow ext. 222 and see if there is a better answer.

#17 7 years ago

You may have already been through this, just to be sure since you get the full install right.

I do this on a PC, not a MAC, MAC has a slightly different approach.

I download the 1.31 and place it on the desktop. It appears as a zipped file. I put a formatted to fat 32 USB stick with nothing else on it, into the computer. I left click the zipped file once to highlight it, right click it and a list of options comes up, I pick Extract all and send to the USB stick. Takes about 10 minutes.

When done I remove the USB stick and go to the Hobbit which is turned on. Open the coin door and plug the USB stick into the cable by the cashbox. I hit the enter button, go to Utilities, go into that and hit the USB update. There should be a box in the upper left corner that says update in progress, after awhile the screen goes black. Leave it run until the game reboots to attract mode, remove memory stick and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps in case you missed a step or tried using Unetbooten or something.

#18 7 years ago

i did every single step as you said and nothing im super fustrated ....i even downloaded the 1.01 code and i also downloaded the 1.31 ...i even bought a PNY memory stick as you tolled me but no luck ....im using a 32 gb stick ...or does it have to be 8 gb ?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

.im using a 32 gb stick ...or does it have to be 8 gb ?

No idea.

PM me your address. If you promise to mail it back, I'll mail/loan you a pre loaded stick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-upgrade-the-hobbit-version-131 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.