9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you switch off your pin from mains or from switch under pin?”

• Mains 1 vote
      3%
    • Switch 32 votes
      97%

(33 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

Strange one maybe.

I was told to switch my pins off at mains in case of electrical storm/power surges etc but I have got lazy and now just switch off using switch underneath.

So, wondering what others do and why?

#2 9 years ago

I use the switch and never really worry as I have it on a very good surge protector. Yeah I'm sure no portector would withstand a direct hit but, I can't see the main being off surviving that either.....

#3 9 years ago

The only safe way to protect from a nearby lightning strike is to unplug the game. A surge protector is worthless for a close hit, surge protectors work for small spikes. Shutting off the circuit at the load center is better than just switching the game off, and if you have a ton of games this is probably what I'd do. But unplugging is still the safest. I unplug my games when storms come through.

#4 9 years ago

I'll raise you another strange question. I'm going to be finishing off my basement soon. One room is going to be a game room (both for kids toys and my toys). I was thinking about using an outlet switch to turn my games on and off. Is there any product out there that I could instal that would act as a complete disconnect (equivalent to an unplug)?

#5 9 years ago

I've always used just the switches and had them plugged into surge protectors. This makes me think I'll be unplugging those surge protectors in the future.

Do the fuses in the game power supplies not protect from damage?

#6 9 years ago

I use the switches and have them all plugged into power strips. I turn the power strips off to. Not sure if they draw power if still plugged in. The power strips are surge protectors. Do you know if pins still draw power even it switched off at the pin?

#7 9 years ago

The switch I believe is between the tranformer and power supply. I can't see the machine consuming anything when the switch is off.

#8 9 years ago

I normally use the on-off switch underneath the cabinet. If I'm leaving the house empty for a few days I'll switch them off at the wall. The surge protector in the pin should take care of any minor spikes in the mains. A lot of my machines are run off power strips with a surge protector anyway.

I bought a HUO Shrek off Ebay a few weeks ago. Naturally I went to have a look at the machine at the sellers home before bidding. The seller didn't even know there was a switch underneath the cabinet, he'd always been switching it on and off at the wall socket!

Edit: When I switch the machines off at the wall, I leave them plugged in. If a massive power surge is gonna jump the wall switch contacts into the machine, I would imagine there would be a lot of fire damage to the house anyway!

#9 9 years ago

switch and when not in use unplug and i also use the surge protector

#10 9 years ago

The switch cuts all power to the game, there is no power draw when switched off, other than from the battery to keep the memory in the RAM.

A wall switch will do the same thing as the switch in the game cabinet, and it would add another layer of protection between the game and any spikes.

As anyone who has been shocked by static electricity can attest, if you have a high enough voltage, you can get a spark that will cross a boundary and conduct electricity. A close lighting strike can fry stuff that is switched off because you are dealing with very high voltages. And the gap that needs to be jumped in a switch isn't very large. It might start a fire, it might not, lightning can do strange things. I've seen stuff damaged with no other apparent harm. A buddy had his huge TV zapped a year ago. He lucked out that is was under warranty and they covered it.

We get enough crazy electrical storms where I live that I unplug my games, computers, and entertainment stuff (TV, home theater) when a storm comes through.

#11 9 years ago

My pins are on four separate 20 Amp circuits. Each circuit is controlled by it's own switch on the wall which is high enough up so that kids can't reach it. I rarely use the switches on the games themselves.

#12 9 years ago

Surge protectors are a waste if there is a surge the varistor in the pin will trip and save the pin from further damage which is basically the same thing that a surge protector does. Tripping the switch at the mains is not 100% full proof either since a direct lightning strike can spark across the gap between any open breaker in your fuse panel. Safest practice is to unplug game from the outlet or come up with a disconnect that will not allow High Voltage to arc across easily.

#13 9 years ago

Because I only have 1 I switch off with underneath switch, then I unplug it from the wall.
    Better safe than sorry.

#14 9 years ago

I switch at the game. I don't want all my games on at once when it is just me playing them.
    We don't have many lightning strikes here but when I was in the lower 48 I would unplug my electronics when storms rolled thru. Then I would take a nice long bath to pass the time.

#15 9 years ago

Our machines are on surge protection and we pay extra for whole house surge protection, but I use the switch underneath the machine. When the pins are not in use they are unplugged from the outlet. I don't trust a surge protector on an AFM. Mother nature is so powerful it can run through a surge protector. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

#16 9 years ago

They make a breaker which you could install for your game-side and is very similair to the switches you place in your bathroom etc.. The breaker will automatically trip and stop any extreme spikes at the main; this coupled with the switch should protect you even if you are plugged in down the line from the switch.

#17 9 years ago

switch. don't even know about 'mains'

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 269.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 52.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 179.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside