Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1466 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181230_212123 (resized).jpg
    20190107_205622 (resized).jpg
    33FD6188-355D-4DF8-A44E-692F601E2302 (resized).jpeg
    tools (resized).JPG
    DSC00530 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0909 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9343 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181229_123712 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

While I love my setup in my workshop, I hate how I’m storing my tools for pinball - basically all crammed into a crappy tool box where I struggle to find what I’m looking for in a timely manner.

How do you conveniently store your needed pinball tools?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

How do you conveniently store your needed pinball tools?

I just leave them all over the shop.

#3 5 years ago

Pegboard, all over the pinball workshop walls. You can see my workshop set in my YouTube videos, MyVintagePinball on youtube

#4 5 years ago

They are part of my regular tools..toolbox /bench combo with drawers and cabinet. Guess I don't have just pinball tools.

#5 5 years ago

IMG_20181229_123712 (resized).jpgIMG_20181229_123712 (resized).jpg

$10 at Harbor Freight

#6 5 years ago

My basement is also my gameroom which is also my workshop. So, I try to keep my tools and parts mostly accessible. I've been using this hand-me-down cabinet for a few years now. Clearly, I've outgrown it, but it works for me. Common parts are towards the top, and less common stuff and paperwork is at the bottom. It's an organized mess for sure.

IMG_9343 (resized).JPGIMG_9343 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

Common tools in an electricians pouch. I have that distilled down to just the essentials I need for 99% of common repairs. Its great because I can always just grab it and go plus since it is on me while working it’s easy to keep tools in their place. Spare parts is another story.... for that I have a couple radio shack electronics parts bins and plastic totes.

Workbench had specialty tools, testing equipment power and solder station. Haven’t set that back up yet since moving.

#9 5 years ago

This. But my pile is on top of a little rolling cart so I can move it around.

#10 5 years ago

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-39-in-Utility-Cart/50380458

Works great to move from game to game without having to move any of the games or walk back and forth ever. Guests coming over? Push it into the next room and close the door.

Put a small garbage can, recycle can, and scrap can on the bottom and a little vacuum as well with a crate to hold all of the solvents/cleaners ect. Tools on top, with a couple note pads/markers ect. in the tray area and you're good to go. I've even got the parts tumbler on the bottom too, and an old style keyboard to plug into some of the video games like Crossfire, to change settings and reboot if the coin battery goes bad.

Only thing that is a pain is if it's hard to reach the service outlet from the coin door or the game doesn't have one, but you can hang a nice rolled up extension cord on the side of the handle tray as well.

#11 5 years ago

I decided to change things up from my usual big metal tool chest in my garage to something specific for arcade/pinball repair. I wanted something that was portable, preferably with wheels, and configurable. I ended up going with the Dewalt Tstack system (I think Craftsman has a version as well?).

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/tool-storage/tstak

This allows me to wheel in 99% of all the tools I'll need for repairs right next to the machine that needs work. I don't know if I'll ever have any games on route, but I'd like to have some soon and this allows me to travel with my tools also.

I have just about everything set, I just need cut some drawer foam so tools don't move around.

#12 5 years ago

i usually leave them in a game and forget about them

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i usually leave them in a game and forget about them

If I can't find my solder in my workbench there's a 100% chance it's in a game.

#14 5 years ago

My tools are spread out in no specific order in all of my games.

I have like 6 spoils of solder, many wire cutters, and like 4 sets of nut drivers because of this. Haha

#15 5 years ago

Roll cabs at work. Milwaukee tote for shows.

LTG : )

DSC00530 (resized).JPGDSC00530 (resized).JPGIMG_0909 (resized).JPGIMG_0909 (resized).JPGtools (resized).JPGtools (resized).JPG
    #16 5 years ago

Sitting on top of a machine is the most likely place to find 'em at my place

#17 5 years ago

In the ample pockets of my work jorts

33FD6188-355D-4DF8-A44E-692F601E2302 (resized).jpeg33FD6188-355D-4DF8-A44E-692F601E2302 (resized).jpeg
    #18 5 years ago

Rollout cart. I replaced the wheels with the high end, super soft, easy on floor style. Cost half as much as the whole cart! In the pic my parts bins are on the left.

I like being able to roll the whole toolbox to the machine. Only issue I have has been solved by others in prior posts in this thread - that is off-site portability. Helping a buddy, helping out on a route, buying a machine ... always a challenge of gathering all the tools from the "big box" before I leave. I really like how others have solved this with portable carts i.e. Lloyd with the Milwaukee cart.
    20190107_205622 (resized).jpg20190107_205622 (resized).jpg

#19 5 years ago

Best thread ever! I’ve been struggling with this lately so it’s great to see some good ideas

#20 5 years ago

I keep all of my common tools, novus, and parts (switches, posts, flipper stuff) in one of these. The little plastic caddy for parts sits in the middle. Loops and packets for everything else. I have games on location, at friends houses, and in two stories of my place. One downside is waking up in a cold sweat shouting because I imagine I left it in the car. Lotsa break ins here.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-LeatherCraft-1529-16-Pocket/dp/B0001ZI4K2/ref=mp_s_a_1_40

#21 5 years ago

Random places throughout the house. Never the same place twice in a row.

#22 5 years ago

Just like everyone else!

IMG_20181230_212123 (resized).jpgIMG_20181230_212123 (resized).jpg
    #23 5 years ago

I use a tool tote for my stuff on the go and have a rolling cart for the shop as well as stationary tool chest for my irregular goto tools.

#24 5 years ago

Magnetic tools holders (https://www.amazon.com/67446-Magnetic-Holder-Black-Piece/dp/B0009WPND8/) for the most frequently used stuff, clear plastic bins for random small tools, and the bigger stuff just on an open shelf. That's what I use in the small closet we have available at our location.

At home I use a roller cabinet and peg boards.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I keep all of my common tools, novus, and parts (switches, posts, flipper stuff) in one of these. The little plastic caddy for parts sits in the middle. Loops and packets for everything else. I have games on location, at friends houses, and in two stories of my place. One downside is waking up in a cold sweat shouting because I imagine I left it in the car. Lotsa break ins here.
    amazon.com link »

Ohhh, I'm going to get one of these! Thanks!

#26 5 years ago

The tools I use the most often are on my workbench, larger items are on shelves or in workbench drawers.

IMG_1466 (resized).JPGIMG_1466 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-store-your-pinball-tools?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.