1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TimBoch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

clubhouse 2017 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    f05d9997dbfded078fe5a7a5c45f19f776db28b3.jpg
    028 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20170909-235253 (resized).png
    IMG_0243 (resized).JPG
    100_0130 (resized).JPG
    Pkeys (resized).JPG
    20170909_205129 (resized).jpg
    pulpfiction00014 (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    IMG_4957 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4956 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2285 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I've got too many keys on a boring old keychain. I was thinking about making a display case, putting proper game tags on each key ring and mounting it high enough kids can't get in there.

Show me what you got going on, need some ideas.

IMG_9881 (resized).JPG

IMG_9880 (resized).JPG

IMG_9882 (resized).JPG

IMG_9883 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

I have keyless locks on all my pins at home, but I attach a keychain to it that somehow corresponds with the game (IM has IM keychain, Fireball has Fireball whiskey keychain, etc)

#3 1 year ago

In the coin returns...

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

In the coin returns...

Same here. I used to have little hooks I'd screw into the cabinet under the right leg I'd hang the keys on, but that seemed a little too over the top.

99% of the time though, I don't even take the key out from the lock anymore, and they just hang from the coin door...

#7 1 year ago

don't need to. all my games use 1 key. Easy shit.

#8 1 year ago

Boring traditional answer for me: I put each game's coin door keys on top of the backbox.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Me too... I have a pile of locks waiting for the next game. One key to rule them all.

#10 1 year ago

I bring games to shows frequently or I would have the keyless locks. I try to key all the locks the same; even still I keep the keys in the coin door. I just lock the lock and pull the key out a tiny bit so the door doesn't open while I am playing.

#11 1 year ago

Where I can't find them..........when I need them. Doh!!!

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I bought two bags of locks and they unfortunately weren't the same key, so I have two keys... Still works out great and I can always find the backup key.

#13 1 year ago

For now, I leave them in the backbox locks.

#14 1 year ago

Too many to leave anywhere but in the locks... But I must say all my children are adults ad have left the nest. Lol.

#15 1 year ago

Hahahahaha! I just throw them in a draw. Of course they are all unmarked so it's always a game of luck finding that one key out of 100. I did pick up 10 locks with same key at a show and another 10 locks the next year but turned out they were not the same key as the year before. Plan on buying another 10 locks this year. If I can get down to only 2 to 4 keys for all pins that would be great!

#16 1 year ago

I've often thought of converting a dart board cabinet into one.
    You could decal the front into something pinball I'm sure.
    Thought the modders would already be all over this.

IMG_2285 (resized).JPG

#17 1 year ago

This works awesome for me!

IMG_4956 (resized).JPG

IMG_4957 (resized).JPG

#18 1 year ago

I leave mine in the door lock. But one of my grandkids...the asshole one...has taken to pulling the key fobs off the wire key ring and throwing them on the floor. Now I've locked him out of the pinball side of the house, but perhaps I should use one of those sweet racks to organize the keys. Great idea!

#19 1 year ago

I must also mention I had a bit of a security scare not long ago.
    You guys seem to have them in basements, where I am it's quite often in a shed, next to the house.
    If your worried about security, don't keep the keys in the arcade room.

I also used to keep my pinball lifter trolleys under a couple of pins, not any more.
    I keep them away from the area, in the house.
    If someone were to break in I don't need to help them by leaving the trolleys there.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Very nice, but it's just too neat n tidy for me

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But one of my grandkids...the asshole one...has taken to pulling the key fobs off the wire key ring and throwing them on the floor.

lol

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

one of my grandkids...the asshole one...has taken to pulling the key fobs off the wire key ring and throwing them on the floor.

Unknown (resized).jpg

#23 1 year ago

If you really must know...

pulpfiction00014 (resized).png

#24 1 year ago

Candidate for best post of the year.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

I got some thing similar but keep all of my game room keys in it. I never converted all of the key rings over to the organized look. I kind of like the themed key rings that match the pin theme. Too lazy to have to find my glasses to read labels when I just need to fix a stuck ball.

20170909_205129 (resized).jpg

#26 1 year ago

https://images.pinside.com/f/06/f068c9846c40510b02e3b2825520b7838a0b45a5/resized/large/f068c9846c40510b02e3b2825520b7838a0b45a5.jpg

Ha. Look at that. Back when I hadn't filled that thing up. Now I wish I had added more hooks. Mine are all full.

Back when I had a slugfest, CFTBL and Who Dunit?

#27 1 year ago

On a simple ring with one key, meaning all the locks are alike, with the key on a large wall nail.
    "The one key ring to rule them all."

Coin doors are keyed alike only.
    Back boxes and ticket dispensers are independent keys and locks, if applicable.

"Simple and practical is better."
    This works best for home use, not operated route games that require added security against key copying theft.

Spare keys for the same lock series are in my toolbox (on a giant ring), car ring, and couple other critical locations.

I buy locks in bulk, in lots of 100+.
    I have bought at least two lots? as a collector (maybe more), as tumblers can still be matched sometimes for reuse, as I ended up with identical lots if a person asks upfront to parts suppliers.

Any games traded or sold, the locks are simply swapped with old original locks in my parts bins.

It works very well.
    Spending excessive money on lockboxes, keyrings, magnets, and and colorful newly designed non factory fobs is wasteful and actually costs more money in the long run than owning keyed alike locks. Pinball machines are are not motorcycles or cars where the locks and ignition keys are valuable in themselves. I put factory keychain fobs go back into the cash boxes.

If a collector has only a few games with non-identical locks, attach with a wood screw the extra key on the underside of the cabinet near the coin door, in case the specific key is lost. This will save yourself switching out another lock via pick or drilling, especially if a barrel torx style. You will thank me for this advice later.

f05d9997dbfded078fe5a7a5c45f19f776db28b3.jpg

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I leave mine in the door lock. But one of my grandkids...the asshole one...has taken to pulling the key fobs off the wire key ring and throwing them on the floor. Now I've locked him out of the pinball side of the house, but perhaps I should use one of those sweet racks to organize the keys. Great idea!

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA5D52NT8556

#29 1 year ago

LTG : )

Pkeys (resized).JPG

#30 1 year ago

I leave in the coin door lock . Trick is to pull the key out just a little bit so lock will not accidently open when playing .
    Been doing it this way for 23 years .

100_0130 (resized).JPG

#31 1 year ago

I have bought games with the lock twisted so you have to unlock the game to get the key out.

#32 1 year ago

IMG_0243 (resized).JPG

#33 1 year ago

I just replace everything with keyed alike ace locks. Sprinkle keys around and you never have to go far to find one.

#34 1 year ago

I plan on making something like this.

Screenshot_20170909-235253 (resized).png

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But one of my grandkids...the asshole one

I laughed way too hard at that comment. We all have that one family member!

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

We all have that one family member!

What's tough is when you realize "that one" is actually yourself.

#37 1 year ago

All games are keyed alike
    the one key opens them all

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Travish:

What's tough is when you realize "that one" is actually yourself.

Well, that explains why you have an ex-wife.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, that explains why you have an ex-wife.

Got 2 of them. One will be 18 forever and the other did a 360 about 10 minutes after I do. Live and learn.

#40 1 year ago

Organized in one big bowl.

IMG_0665 (resized).JPG

#41 1 year ago

Aside from kids messing with them, why on earth would anyone even consider storing the keys away from the machine in a home environment?

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Aside from kids messing with them, why on earth would anyone even consider storing the keys away from the machine in a home environment?

ever have a coin door open up during gameplay and hit you in the balls?

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

All games are keyed alike
    the one key opens them all

Man, that's smart. A little TOO smart.

I just toss them in a pile someplace...
    028 (resized).JPG

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Aside from anything, why do people leave the locks on at all? Remove, bend metal door, close and you're good.

#45 1 year ago

I brought 30 locks all keyed alike, sorted

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ever have a coin door open up during gameplay and hit you in the balls?

Once or twice, then I realized that simply pulling the key outward a little will keep that from happening.

#47 1 year ago

https://t.harborfreight.com/4-piece-magnetic-hook-set-98502.html

Magnetic hook placed on inside front leg.

#48 1 year ago

Using magnets, too, but these at $.75

http://tinyurl.com/y7bm7t8r

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Once or twice, then I realized that simply pulling the key outward a little will keep that from happening.

that's what I do at league, with people that keep the keys in the door. Still happens to me at least 3 times a league season. Of course it usually happens when you start multiball and doing well......then tap....... right in the package.

#50 1 year ago

Now that I have 4 pins, I decided to just make them all keyless. My PGA Tour arcade game was a HUO and never had a coin door key. This worked well as I needed to have it make "forced calls" to connect online and also add credits. So after years of keeping keys in the coin return, the keys are now stored within the cabinet, since I can never get locked out again

clubhouse 2017 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 39.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside