(Topic ID: 296717)

How do you store stencils?!?

By jardine

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Have an old set of spare stencils for Strikes and Spares (Bally).

Bought about 10yrs ago from Jeff MacFee I think it was.

Always had them lying flat on the ground under my bed in the hopes one day I'd use them.

Moving house so was hoping to roll them up and store?? Is this acceptable? Keep flat in the new house?

Thanks guys.

#2 2 years ago

I have mine laying flat but they are pretty new. I’m sure you are ok to roll them up and then make them flat again maybe before you go to apply.

Only question would be how is the adhesive if there is any. I know Jeff had good quality product but I don’t remember having any age for 10 years.

I think you’ll be fine either way.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks. Some has started to lift slightly and they are thick!!

So thick i wasn't sure if rolling them up was a great idea.

#4 2 years ago

Rolling will possibly cause them to 'buckle' and for the vinyl to separate from the backing paper at various points. This can then allow the exposed adhesive to 'go off'.

I would roll them for transport but unroll them again as soon as possible and store them flat.

Why not sell them off if you are not likely to use them because there is no doubt the glue is going to go off, if it hasn't already, and then they are worth - exactly the centre of a donut!

#5 2 years ago

Thanks guys...I wonder if they are kinda cactus from years of being stored anyway.

I've tried to sell them plenty of times but like most in the hobby, we are hoarders are we not....can't throw them away to save myself.

#6 2 years ago

The adhesive along the edges has probably dried up a little over the years so will probably let paint bleed through . Better to store them flat but if you do roll them , make sure that the liner in always inward . Same as decals, if you need to roll them up, always ake sure that they are rolled image out.

#7 2 years ago

i have some cab decals, TOTAN, TAF, that are at least 10 years old rolled up in a box someplace. It'll be fun to run across those again.

#8 2 years ago

You must store them cryogenically.
    Never mind, I thought you were asking about stem cells.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-store-stencils?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.