• Latest reply 4 years ago by mwsmith
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-3 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I promise I tried to find this before asking. I'm restoring a 1977 Star Explorer pinball machine for my son, but he wants the flippers to be on separate buttons. Right now, either side button will cause both flippers to engage.

It's probably on the forum, but I don't know what the right search terms would be. Thanks for any help.

#2 4 years ago

If it's programmed that way, you probably can't change it.

Without a lot of work. Separating the flippers and flipper buttons from the game and powering them separately.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I would imagine the buttons or coils are daisy chained. This could be as easy as disconnecting a wire. I have never seen under the playfield but it can't be that hard find the solution to this.
-Mike

#4 4 years ago

From the picture below (towards the bottom of the playfield) it looks like one coil with a mechanical arm to rotate both flipper shafts. Probably both flipper buttons are wired in parallel so either button activates the same coil.

To split them, you'd have to source a second flipper coil assembly and mount that. Then split the the flipper button wiring and add/split the coil wiring. Not even sure if the electronics could handle the load of a second flipper coil in the game.
image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago

Thanks. I haven't disassembled it yet.
I have a CNC router, so I'm planning on changing the case out, possibly routing out the name of the game, filling it in with clear epoxy and backlighting with led lights. I'm going to have to spend a little while on this forum to see what other folks have done.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RobWok:

I'm going to have to spend a little while on this forum to see what other folks have done.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything in the forum regarding this game let alone any information of anyone modifying it. With that said, if you do go and split the flippers, make sure you document the parts, pieces, where you sourced them from and any work you did along the way including pictures and post them here. This way, if someone in the future decides to follow your lead, your posts will be the trail for all those people to follow.

5 months later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RobWok:

Thanks. I haven't disassembled it yet.
I have a CNC router, so I'm planning on changing the case out, possibly routing out the name of the game, filling it in with clear epoxy and backlighting with led lights. I'm going to have to spend a little while on this forum to see what other folks have done.

For the most part, folks have passed on this machine, or given it away.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

For the most part, folks have passed on this machine, or given it away.

Unfortunately this game is a non-commercial home model that was not produced by a main-stream manufacturer. It is basically a toy pinball that will be near impossible to find any parts for without having another to pull them from.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-split-the-paddle-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.