(Topic ID: 30586)

POLL added: How Do YOU Spell The Sound a Pinball Knocker Makes?

By MrWizzo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What best captures the sound of the knocker?”

• DMD: THWACK: YES 30 votes
      39%
    • DMD: THWACK: NO 6 votes
      8%
    • EM: KLACK : YES 13 votes
      17%
    • EM: KLACK : NO 3 votes
      4%
    • KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY! 25 votes
      32%

(Multiple choice - 77 votes by 66 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

spiderman.jpg
    imagesCA2SKDKE.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

For some reason that reminds me of EMs. Interesting.
    Dan

Em's go klackklackklackklackklackkachug.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

What Mary would suggest is that you take your medicine like a man. But what you did here is try and explain away the deflation of your beer muscles with "I was just kidding." Is there anyting any more self-deprecatory than that? You show even less respect for yourself than you have engendered here in your brief illustrious career.
    The only real excuse for your poor deportment is that you are bi-polar and missed a dose of medication. Being truly serious not facetious as many of us here are on mood enhanceers like the rest of the world.
    You are obviously a bright guy, but why is it important for you to prove to others that they are not? That's not so bright. We all need people.
    Dan

Gee Dan. Thanks for the tough love. Maybe I should look into going on meds. Which ones work for you? Will they help with my respect problem(self or otherwise) and my lack of caring what strangers say or think about me?

#53 7 years ago

32 posts and already on ignore. Awesome.

#54 7 years ago

(never mind)

#56 7 years ago

Seriously, I thought the "Knock it off already" choice would have been the hands downs winner.

Hey, Mick, that was pretty good. For the really curious (at least about roosters):

http://www.bootstrappin.com/2008/10/cock-a-doodle-doo-dialects-of-the-rooster

Quoted from kidfresh:

Gee Dan. Thanks for the tough love. Maybe I should look into going on meds. Which ones work for you? Will they help with my respect problem(self or otherwise) and my lack of caring what strangers say or think about me?

Hey, no problem. That was an exagerrated example that we both know doesn't apply in your case. Either there is a medical explanation for radical change in approach in your replies, or you choose to behave in such a way. So, since you choose to act that way, back to the question avoided, why do you need others to be less? Although they may be worth a shot, I cannot tell you whether meds will help you respect yourself or others, but you could start here on Pinside with an effort. Why not try to fit in? There is a place for everyone here pretty much. No need to carve yours out in the kill file unless that is what you really want. Now you know you care what people think about you, or you wouldn't put out so much effort to get people to have an opinion about you, be it positive or negative. Most people who cop the "I do not care what people think about me" attitude are seeking significance like everyone else. It is an absolute value albeit positive or negative. Don't kid yourself. Good luck here.

Dan

#57 7 years ago

Either pop or crack. Take your pick.

#58 7 years ago

THWACK! for me.

#59 7 years ago

Thwack.... Brilliant!!

#60 7 years ago

Whatever the initial sound is, it's almost always followed by a "WTF" from everyone around.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

32 posts and already on ignore. Awesome.

Ignore is about the most ridiculous option to choose. Its like sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich. But to each his own.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Seriously, I thought the "Knock it off already" choice would have been the hands downs winner.
    Hey, Mick, that was pretty good. For the really curious (at least about roosters):
    http://www.bootstrappin.com/2008/10/cock-a-doodle-doo-dialects-of-the-rooster
    Hey, no problem. That was an exagerrated example that we both know doesn't apply in your case. Either there is a medical explanation for radical change in approach in your replies, or you choose to behave in such a way. So, since you choose to act that way, back to the question avoided, why do you need others to be less? Although they may be worth a shot, I cannot tell you whether meds will help you respect yourself or others, but you could start here on Pinside with an effort. Why not try to fit in? There is a place for everyone here pretty much. No need to carve yours out in the kill file unless that is what you really want. Now you know you care what people think about you, or you wouldn't put out so much effort to get people to have an opinion about you, be it positive or negative. Most people who cop the "I do not care what people think about me" attitude are seeking significance like everyone else. It is an absolute value albeit positive or negative. Don't kid yourself. Good luck here.
    Dan

You are quite the psychologist. But honestly, I just like pinball. I seek no significance, and you misquoted me. I said I don't care what strangers think of me. Now if I ever go to a pinball show and meet you that might change if you turn out to be a decent person. I have plenty of other activities but none of my friends that I actually physically associate with from (family, basketball, running, classic cars, etc.) care much about pinball unfortunately. The few pinball people I have met have been mostly racist hicks and unscrupulous sellers which I try to avoid. I'm not saying everyone here falls under that category but some certainly do. The effort I put out responding to certain posts is mainly out of boredom at night when my girlfriend insists on watching reality tv, and I prefer to mess around on the computer. I may voice strong opinions on certain topics, but so what. "Why so serious"? Posts and threads aren't reality. Anyway, the "reality" cooking show competition is over. My turn to watch Walking Dead. Click ignore now. No worries.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

» YouTube video

Funny Family Guy clip.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

You are quite the psychologist. But honestly, I just like pinball. I seek no significance, and you misquoted me. I said I don't care what strangers think of me. Now if I ever go to a pinball show and meet you that might change if you turn out to be a decent person. I have plenty of other activities but none of my friends that I actually physically associate with from (family, basketball, running, classic cars, etc.) care much about pinball unfortunately. The few pinball people I have met have been mostly racist hicks and unscrupulous sellers which I try to avoid. I'm not saying everyone here falls under that category but some certainly do. The effort I put out responding to certain posts is mainly out of boredom at night when my girlfriend insists on watching reality tv, and I prefer to mess around on the computer. I may voice strong opinions on certain topics, but so what. "Why so serious"? Posts and threads aren't reality. Anyway, the "reality" cooking show competition is over. My turn to watch Walking Dead. Click ignore now. No worries.

Not sure what I misquoted, but I appologize that I did. I am sorry that the experiences you have had with with pinball people may have been so negative, but I am glad that you recgonize it is not everyone. It isn't. There are a lot of good decent people here. Most have had bad experiences with sellers when new in the hobby, but that's a rite of passage. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Percentages and probability would dictate that there are some racists and the unscrupulous, but to enter into a thread like you did with mine carrying that baggage in created an unnecessary conflict based on negative expectations. One word you used spoke volumes, "Hence." Unless in an academic environment where I spent nine years, no one uses the word "hence" except for seeking to establish superiority. You can dismiss your "involvement" as worthless distraction, but why spend your time with something you seem to hold in such low esteem? Doesn't make sense. Think about it. How much sense does it make to exert the effort to establish one's superiority through a vehicle that one consider's inferior? Big fish seeking a small pond.

What you did with me wasn't voicing a strong opinion, it was purposefully meant to be mean-spririted and demeaning as it was to many who read it. Was it motivated by the bad experience you have had with pinball people or more about who you are? I don't know, only you do. It is all the same to me.

If you like pinball, give others who like it a chance. Eat the meat and spit out the bones. But be honest enough to not pee on others' shoes and tell them it's raining, including yourself.

Dan

#65 7 years ago

First time I have used the ignore feature and I like the way it works, all I see on the quote is Ignore user comment.
    I can see your rebuttal but not the quoted comment.
    For his post all I see is Ignored user post.
    After reviewing his posts they seem to be of the turd in the punchbowl variety and of no value.
    Probably one of the RGP trolls, best to use ignore and move on.

#66 7 years ago

Man I was not going to say anything here just post the FG thing cause I think it relates to what Dan was saying in the first place, but hey kidfresh, racist hicks....Man that's left field. You might as well say, all guys that have the name Ted are dicks because some guy Ted kicked your ass at school every day.

#67 7 years ago

EM- KLACK
    DMD- SCREECH

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

First time I have used the ignore feature and I like the way it works, all I see on the quote is Ignore user comment.
    I can see your rebuttal but not the quoted comment.
    For his post all I see is Ignored user post.
    After reviewing his posts they seem to be of the turd in the punchbowl variety and of no value.
    Probably one of the RGP trolls, best to use ignore and move on.

Yeah, I have only used it once.

Quoted from mickthepin:

Man I was not going to say anything here just post the FG thing cause I think it relates to what Dan was saying in the first place, but hey kidfresh, racist hicks....Man that's left field. You might as well say, all guys that have the name Ted are dicks because some guy Ted kicked your ass at school every day.

That clip was realy perfect. Captures perfectly the indignation people display when reality isn't lining up with their experience. Hilarious!

I could be wrong, but I think KF is just a hurting pup who, if he finds the courage to drop his pride, admit he has been wrong and apologize to people, might actually be given new start here. It's hard watching someone fall so hard so close to the starting gate. Won't be the first time he needs to learn this lesson, and may not be the last.

Dan

#69 7 years ago

I'm going with KNOCK (must be in capitals).
    WPC-95 with fake knocker - CRAP.

#70 7 years ago

I know exactly how it's spelt: "The sound a pinball knocker makes"

Sorry, just a bit of Zen creeping into Pinside there

#71 7 years ago

mine goes... knock knock, who's there? stupid ass poll, stupid ass poll who? I'm a stupid ass hole for reading and responding to another stupid ass poll!

#72 7 years ago

My guess - THWAPP!!

too close to "thwipp!"

spiderman.jpg

#73 7 years ago

I'm with Chitown

EM-Klack!
    DMD-Screech!

I remember the first time I heard the "Screech" on a DMD machine and I thought it was BROKEN because it was not as fun as a Klack!

#74 7 years ago

Sorry for pissing of so many people. While I would never ignore anyone, it doesn't bother me if people ignore me. Anyway I think this thread has run its course. But, to be clear, It sounds like a hard knock sound to me.

#76 7 years ago

The Screech is just on Sterns because they don't have a real knocker. I really need to get around to adding them since I have the parts.
    To me, Thwack just isn't right. I don't hear the THWA part. To me it is more like "ongK" where the G is kinda silent like in -ING. Can't remember what that sound is called. Been 13 years since linguistics class.

Please just let it go. FYI, an easy way to let people know you are kidding is to add a smiley at the end of a statement. For a guy with little history, your post came off pretty strongly. My first impression was

#77 7 years ago

Here's my knocker:

If you skip to 1:00, you can hear the Police Force Knocker.
    Then skip to 1:20, you can hear my Hyperpin Knocker.

FWIW: It's still a WIP, obviously unfinished. I'm just thrilled to have the knocker - and yes it works with Sterns, IE LOTR, T3, Elvis, TSPP, etc.

#78 7 years ago

Come on MrWizzo, with your credentials we both know you're just playing with these people: I'm sure you can work out this spelling in IPA all by yourself with some obstruents. Hell, for the !Kung it's probably a phoneme in a word that translates to "congratulations".

Heh.

#79 7 years ago

KidFresh: Fresh start with me, Kid. All is in the past and is as far as the East is from the West.

Quoted from teekee:

mine goes... knock knock, who's there? stupid ass poll, stupid ass poll who? I'm a stupid ass hole for reading and responding to another stupid ass poll!

The poll wasn't serious. I was expecting most everyone to vote "Knock it off already!"

Quoted from SealClubber:

To me it is more like "ongK" where the G is kinda silent like in -ING. Can't remember what that sound is called. Been 13 years since linguistics class.

It's a velar nasal.

Quoted from navajas:

Come on MrWizzo, with your credentials we both know you're just playing with these people: I'm sure you can work out this spelling in IPA all by yourself with some obstruents. Hell, for the !Kung it's probably a phoneme in a word that translates to "congratulations".
    Heh.

"Well, okay." he said scuffing the tip of his right shoe in the dirt.

You are right on about the sound releasing with a obstruent almost like a glottal stop, but what is interesting is that there are no articulators (lips, tongue, velum) to alter the acoustics after the release, which in this case would be the striking of the plate. So you have a quick release at the source of voicing (the vibration of the vocal cords) with the the striker hitting the plate (designated by the symbol - ? - but without the bottom dot for a glottal stop in IPA IIRC, but I am constrained by the keyboard) into the vocalic center of the syllable. It might even be a click (- ! -) but I have no experience with this class of speech sounds. My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but for the sake of arguement, let's call it a low back nonround vowel (-a-) like in "pot" (which most are going to think I am smoking as I write this), followed by the trailing off of the amplitude of phonation (voicing) with no alteration of the vocal tract (designated by the symbol - h - essentially a whisper of the vowel following it or preceeding it). I have to get a spectrogram of one of my knockers and see what it looks like.

So my best guess at this point is that the sound a knocker makes is spelled (?ah) or (!ah), which as you rightly pointed out in Khosa means "Free_____".

But as one linguist said to the other, "Phoneme? I'll show you a minimal pair!"

But seriously folks, no cunning linguists jokes.

Dan

#80 7 years ago

Oppan Chomsky Style.

This is why linguists are so popular at parties.

#81 7 years ago

Anyway, it goes BANG!

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Oppan Chomsky Style.
    This is why linguists are so popular at parties.

Navajas:

In case you missed it the first time, further proof of your contention above:

In my mid 20s I was a doctoral student at UCONN's Linguistics Department specializing in acoustic phonetics supported by a three year predoc from the NSF. This was a significant department with groundbreaking theoriticians in syntax, semantics, speech synthesis, reading theory. We were not far from MIT, so Chomsky had great influence in the department.

Now, mind you, I am married father of a one year old at the time, but prior to that I was a pot-smoking, beer-drinking, street-fighting, pinball-playing heck of a mess from the streets of Philly. So I was a perfect cultural fit for UCONN's Linguistics department.

Parties were replete with white wine and gratuitous mental masterbation on topics relating to phonemes, morphemes, "do" support, etc. I want to talk Flyers hockey, anything normal.

Now to the point. My adivsor, Ignatius Cornelius Mattingly, did groundbreaking work in reading theory at Haskins Labs in New Haven. He was a Yalie true and true.

One day Ignatius asks me if I wanted to earn some extra money resurfacing his pool and to come over later in the week to be shown what needs to be done. I show up. Ignatius explains the job. Now I am about to set him up if he gives me the right. I ask, "what time do you want me to start on Saturday?" "AFternoon would be fine," he answers not knowing he just opened the door. I reply, "Great! That will give me time to watch wrestling!"

Ignatius turns away, head bowed, slump-shouldered and leaving says, "Mr. Weiss, sometimes you seem to have so much promise..."

Dan

#83 7 years ago

I went to CWU of Human Chimpanzee Communication fame. I was an actuarial science student at the time but couldn't stop taking linguistics and anthropology courses and was almost lured away by Dr. Klug. I was about 99% indoctrinated into the chimps as hairy near humans at that time before a deaf sister-in-law and Derek Bickerton blew that all to hell.

In any case, I wish I'd stayed the course.

Good party banter is to get people to try and think of our language's most versatile word: It can be a noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, exclamatory and is our single only infix! Plus then you get to explain what an infix is. Men buy you drinks and women toss themselves on your bed.

Anecdote: Dr. Klug insists that a previous class of her's invented the term, "turkey", as to apply to someone who's kind of a jerk or somewhat stupid, but perhaps not quite a total moron or asshole. The class exercise was to examine how various animal words are used to apply to human behavior and how that differs substantially between cultures (her bend was linguistic anthropology). Then the idea was to think up an animal term that seemed wholly arbitrary and completely illogical and see if they could get it to stick in the lexicon. They came up with 'turkey' because it wasn't in popular use and it is such a benign mostly unobtrusive creature. Then it was voted on what the hell it should mean. They settled on something negative and started using it around campus. In my etymological search to vet this claim the time of first use is early 50s which is certainly possible given her age.

#84 7 years ago

Why is there a knocker in the first place? First time I heard it I almost shit myself, I thought something was wrong with the machine.

#85 7 years ago

SHTOCK!!

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

I went to CWU of Human Chimpanzee Communication fame. I was an actuarial science student at the time but couldn't stop taking linguistics and anthropology courses and was almost lured away by Dr. Klug. I was about 99% indoctrinated into the chimps as hairy near humans at that time before a deaf sister-in-law and Derek Bickerton blew that all to hell.
    In any case, I wish I'd stayed the course.
    Good party banter is to get people to try and think of our language's most versatile word: It can be a noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, exclamatory and is our single only infix! Plus then you get to explain what an infix is. Men buy you drinks and women toss themselves on your bed.
    Anecdote: Dr. Klug insists that a previous class of her's invented the term, "turkey", as to apply to someone who's kind of a jerk or somewhat stupid, but perhaps not quite a total moron or asshole. The class exercise was to examine how various animal words are used to apply to human behavior and how that differs substantially between cultures (her bend was linguistic anthropology). Then the idea was to think up an animal term that seemed wholly arbitrary and completely illogical and see if they could get it to stick in the lexicon. They came up with 'turkey' because it wasn't in popular use and it is such a benign mostly unobtrusive creature. Then it was voted on what the hell it should mean. They settled on something negative and started using it around campus. In my etymological search to vet this claim the time of first use is early 50s which is certainly possible given her age.

After nine years of it, I couldn't do it anymore.

What for me it most interesting is that although primates can learn "human" language and even teach it to offspring, the key is that their vocal tract will never produce speech, and it is speech that separates human beings from animals. The parrot has the vocal tract to mimic speech, but no capacity for language. Language is no more than the arbitrary relationship between a sign and its meaning, and there are how many many human languages and systems animals and insect use to communicate.

I remember a paper floating around UCONN on the very topic of English's only real infix in the word's gerund or progressive verbal from. One of the examples cited was my hometown of "Phil-a-****-ing-del-phi-a." Its placement is constrainted by both phonemic and morphonemic boundaries if I remember. I will try and see if I can find it.

Interesting note on the use of "turkey". I have to take a moment and look up the scholars you mention. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

#87 7 years ago

Best clip ever

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

After nine years of it, I couldn't do it anymore.
    What for me it most interesting is that although primates can learn "human" language and even teach it to offspring, the key is that their vocal tract will never produce speech, and it is speech that separates human beings from animals. The parrot has the vocal tract to mimic speech, but no capacity for language. Language is no more than the arbitrary relationship between a sign and its meaning, and there are how many many human languages and systems animals and insect use to communicate.
    I remember a paper floating around UCONN on the very topic of English's only real infix in the word's gerund or progressive verbal from. One of the examples cited was my hometown of "Phil-a-****-ing-del-phi-a." Its placement is constrainted by both phonemic and morphonemic boundaries if I remember. I will try and see if I can find it.
    Interesting note on the use of "turkey". I have to take a moment and look up the scholars you mention. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

Not exactly the forum, but, I now VERY strongly contest the notion that any animal on Earth is capable of anything even remotely similar to human language. I was a believer for a long time, and it just doesn't hold up. And I mean, I embarrassed myself with the conclusions I finally made. Maybe in PM.

My pinball machine's "knocker" goes, RINNNGNGNGNNGNNGNGNG!!!!!

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Not exactly the forum, but, I now VERY strongly contest the notion that any animal on Earth is capable of anything even remotely similar to human language. I was a believer for a long time, and it just doesn't hold up. And I mean, I embarrassed myself with the conclusions I finally made. Maybe in PM.

My pinball machine's "knocker" goes, RINNNGNGNGNNGNNGNGNG!!!!!

That's why I had "human" in quotes. It is a silly notion given the compexity of grammar that primates manipulating a set of symbols however large approach to the most miniscule degree the infinite strings human language can generate and the innumerable grammars used to express those strings in script or verbally. It is force feeding experiemental results to fit and justify a world view that is flawed.

Thanks. I have enjoyed this exchange.

I will follow up with a PM.

Dan

#90 7 years ago

On second thought, maybe there is some usefulness to this ignore button. Kidding.

#91 7 years ago

"And.....it's gone!"

Dan

#92 7 years ago

Reminds me of TZ when you battle the power and the hand knocks three times. I use to do that to the game when I defeated the power.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Reminds me of TZ when you battle the power and the hand knocks three times.

Aren't you getting confused with Seance in TAF?

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Aren't you getting confused with Seance in TAF?

Yes might be but there is something in TZ after you battle the power that makes me do it and or appears on the display.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Yes might be but there is something in TZ after you battle the power that makes me do it and or appears on the display.

Ah yes, it's a kind of gigantic crashing fist type sound as I remember... it's like a giant is trying to smash through the hull of a ship or something and manages it on the third 'crash'... it's all coming back to me

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

"And.....it's gone!"
    Dan

Oh come on, you can't pretend your posts aren't a little pretentious, hence my light hearted jabbing.
    P.S. I tried to put the smiley emoticon on but it just isn't posting. Damn technology.

#97 7 years ago

One of the things I love about TZ are all the little door knocker sounds in the background that are played.

Dan

#98 7 years ago

I spell it Skrttt!

Stern knocker.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I've heard knockers adjusted incorrectly that make a THUD sound.

Really......I did have an encounter with an elderly woman once who had the same sentiments about knockers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 3.70
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 11,500.00
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside