(Topic ID: 30586)

POLL added: How Do YOU Spell The Sound a Pinball Knocker Makes?

By MrWizzo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What best captures the sound of the knocker?”

• DMD: THWACK: YES 30 votes
      39%
    • DMD: THWACK: NO 6 votes
      8%
    • EM: KLACK : YES 13 votes
      17%
    • EM: KLACK : NO 3 votes
      4%
    • KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY! 25 votes
      32%

(Multiple choice - 77 votes by 66 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spiderman.jpg
    imagesCA2SKDKE.jpg
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

My guess - THWAPP!!

Dan

#2 11 years ago

knock. Hence the term knocker.

#3 11 years ago

POP! POP!

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

knock. Hence the term knocker.

So you are an onomatopoeic purist, huh? I think a lot of onomatopoeia is more based on convention than perception.

For example, there used to be a theory that different languages developed at some point because of how animal sounds were perceived. In English, dogs say primarily "bark" but "woof" as well. In Russian, a dog says, "Gaf! Gaf!" kind of a hybrid between the English. Either way the same dog is saming the same thing but being perceived differently and then agreed upon by convention.

One could do a spectrgram of the knocker rap and analyse it for its "speech acoustics" and see what it is closest to in features. But after all the above, my guess would still be....

THWAPP!!

Dan

#5 11 years ago

And you would be wrong. Thwapp? seriously. Don't think so. Knock is closest or maybe wrap, Hence the term knocker, not thwapper. And its spelled spectrogram. Onomatopoeia coming from Oak Hill, VA is like french cuisine coming from Bentonville, Arkansas. Nice try though. Next you're going to describe the spelling of the the sound of snoring as zzzzzzzzzzhhhh. Bottomline is there is sometimes no speling for sounds heard in nature. But thwapp is not even close. Good day sir.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

So you are an onomatopoeic purist, huh? I think a lot of onomatopoeia is more based on convention than perception.
    For example, there used to be a theory that different languages developed at some point because of how animal sounds were perceived. In English, dogs say primarily "bark" but "woof" as well. In Russian, a dog says, "Gaf! Gaf!" kind of a hybrid between the English. Either way the same dog is saming the same thing but being perceived differently and then agreed upon by convention.
    One could do a spectrgram of the knocker rap and analyse it for its "speech acoustics" and see what it is closest to in features. But after all the above, my guess would still be....
    THWAPP!!
    Dan

It is closer to THWACK.

#7 11 years ago

No, not speechless, just double-posted. Well, almost speechless, but I got a second wind.

Dan

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

And you would be wrong. Thwapp? seriously. Don't think so. Knock is closest or maybe wrap, Hence the term knocker, not thwapper. And its spelled spectrogram. Onomatopoeia coming from Oak Hill, VA is like french cuisine coming from Bentonville, Arkansas. Nice try though. Next you're going to describe the spelling of the the sound of snoring as zzzzzzzzzzhhhh. Bottomline is there is sometimes no speling for sounds heard in nature. But thwapp is not even close. Good day sir.

Son, you are really out of line. There is not a right or wrong answer. Thanks for jumping on the typo. Always a good tactic for new people on a board. What do I know about speech, sound and perception? Maybe not as much as you, but my doctoral work at UCONN in acoustic phonetics and speech synthesis was supported by a three year National Science Foundation Predoctoral fellowship. What is sad about this is that it was nothing but a friendly discussion until it crossed the boundaries of your box, and all your issues started pecking at your head. I hope everyone you meet in life stands in awe of your majesty because you certainly have some hard lessons heading your way.

"Wrap"? Seriously, unless you were thinking of a wrap artist like Christo, which I doubt you were, the irony here is priceless as is your hubris.

Do you even know where Oak Hill is? And what is wrong with Bentonville? I am sure there are a lot of cool pinheads in Arkansas. Your boyfriend leave you for a sheep there? Maybe you need to go gargle with Vagisil... Actually, you are really quite a find, someone who can manage to have his head shoved so far up his butt yet still get his nose up in the air without leaving his feet. Oh, sorry. You can levitate as well? Extraordinary! Well, done.

Quoted from tracelifter:

It is closer to THWACK.

At least in his case it is.

Dan

#9 11 years ago

I never have spelled it. I just like the sound.

#10 11 years ago

Way to enter the forum Kidfresh, hopefully I never read a post of yours again! I am so disgusted with how people are always attacking other people with forum posts. Its really easy to bash on someone sitting at your computer. I am sure you are a classy guy. Im glad you just put him in his place Mr. Wizzo

Quoted from tracelifter:

It is closer to THWACK

Thats what I hear!

#11 11 years ago

heheh this is one of the be questions I've seen posted here, I'm gonna go with thhwopp , my girlfriend would spell it obnoxiouscompletelyterrible, I have to disable the knocker on every machine I bring in the house!

#12 11 years ago

If you knocker is adjusted correctly its THWACK. I've heard knockers adjusted incorrectly that make a THUD sound. I can only imagine a bad case of limp knocker would make a wrap sound.

#13 11 years ago

Before I even opened this thread I was gonna say THWACK, and seeing that 2 guys already said the same thing leads me to believe that it is so. Thread closed.

#14 11 years ago

This was my first thought.Hope picture shows as I am unsure how to add them.

imagesCA2SKDKE.jpgimagesCA2SKDKE.jpg

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

It is closer to THWACK.

Thwack! is exactly how I spell it. Modern Stern's have a Twip! that I really dislike.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#16 11 years ago

I spell it this way: A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G

In all seriousness, "Thwack" really is probably the best answer.

#17 11 years ago

Kidfresh stinks and I dont like him.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

Who peed in your Wheaties this morning? Do you even know where Oak Hill, VA is located? It happens to be an area having one of the highest percentages in the country of college educated people. I really don't see the point of what you said.

Also, if you want to criticize where people live, then why don't you contribute by including your location in your profile. Otherwise you are just a troll taking pot shots.

#20 11 years ago

Ok, Magnitude.

#21 11 years ago

I would spell it thusly:

Bazinga!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

Wow kidfresh must be really fun at parties

Quoted from Prmailers:

I would spell it thusly:
    Bazinga!

lol!!

Quoted from tracelifter:

It is closer to THWACK.

+1 I hear THWACK and try to get my knockers that go DUD to go Thwack!

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Thwack! is exactly how I spell it. Modern Stern's have a Twip! that I really dislike.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

The late model B/W with the audio file are pretty weak too. This is why I added real ones to my MB and CC. You gotta make sure the tip of the striker is on the same plane as the strike plate. It is amazing how much the sound is off if it isn't.

When did they start omitting the knocker assembly in favor of the sound file? CP or TOTAN?

Dan

#24 11 years ago

ban hammer for kidfresh please. French food in Arkansas is the same as French food in Texas. Or Oklahoma.

#25 11 years ago

Geez, I was just messin around with a little banter, didn't mean any disrespect. Why is everyone so uptight. Knock or thwack, who cares. Context on these threads are a bitch to deliver. Everyone assumes your in a pissed off mood when you post. I was just in a Chill mode. Its all good. Its hard to remember sometimes, but I guess I better stop and think WWMPP? (What Would Mary Poppins Post)

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

My guess - THWAPP!!
    Dan

That sounds about right to me.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

We have French food in Texas?

Now that is a silly question, Texas has everything.
    There are 10 French Restaurants in Austin.

#29 11 years ago

True. Aquarelle being one of my faves

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

We have French food in Texas?

I had french toast for breakfast

#31 11 years ago

Stern spells it in code 0011101001000011100010001001011110000...

#32 11 years ago

I'm in Jersey, but I just had Texas toast.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

I guess I better stop and think WWMPP? (What Would Mary Poppins Post)

I wonder if she has a pinball machine in that fancy bag of hers?

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

I wonder if she has a pinball machine in that fancy bag of hers?

Yes she does and I quote.

"If you want this choice position
    Have a cheery disposition
    Rosy cheeks, no warts!
    Play games, all sorts"

Games of all sorts would include a pinball machine.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

It is closer to THWACK.

this is exactly what I thought when reading the post title.

Stern spells it in code 0011101001000011100010001001011110000... [] ROFL

#37 11 years ago

If you are talking about the Pin2K machines, specifically RFM, the only thing I can think of for that knocker is "ear-shattering electrical impulse"

#38 11 years ago

Well it seems most vote for thwack. Someone should start a movement to get the term knocker changed to thwacker.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

"CLICK - CLICK"

That is the sound of the User Ignore feature.

#40 11 years ago

We used to say "pop". As in "you think he'll get a "pop" this game?"

On a side note, you'd think with newer, better speakers in games these days Stern would update the SMARRRK sound to something a bit more inspired. Maybe even switch it to a base rumble or something.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

If you are talking about the Pin2K machines, specifically RFM, the only thing I can think of for that knocker is "ear-shattering electrical impulse"

I'm positive this is the worst sound known to mankind

#43 11 years ago

clack clack clack

#44 11 years ago

t-h-w-a-c-k is what I hear on Bally/Williams. One of the best sounds in all of pinball. Sterns...I'm not even going to try to make the sound...all I know is to my ears "it aint right".

#45 11 years ago

I love that a nice head knocker still startles me even when I know it is about to happen. It is like my brain never remembers how loud it will be.

I agree that THWACK is how it sounds to me.

I am now thinking a mod is in order >>> how about an aftermarket knocker that allows you to record something for replay when you get a knock?

"I am the best, you guys suck! ha ha ha ha" in an evil voice.

"Great Move Human" in Centaur voice

"I guess you can take it with you" in Gomez TAF voice

#46 11 years ago

That is spot on! KLACK!

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

I was just in a Chill mode.

But then I got high....

Anyways.. on topic: THACK. The "w" in "thwack" implies some kind of impact with more of a thud type thing going on to me... like you are hitting something hard with something with a little give.

#48 11 years ago

...thwack...

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from kidfresh:

Geez, I was just messin around with a little banter, didn't mean any disrespect. Why is everyone so uptight. Knock or thwack, who cares. Context on these threads are a bitch to deliver. Everyone assumes your in a pissed off mood when you post. I was just in a Chill mode. Its all good. Its hard to remember sometimes, but I guess I better stop and think WWMPP? (What Would Mary Poppins Post)

What Mary would suggest is that you take your medicine like a man. But what you did here is try and explain away the deflation of your beer muscles with "I was just kidding." Is there anyting any more self-deprecatory than that? You show even less respect for yourself than you have engendered here in your brief illustrious career.

The only real excuse for your poor deportment is that you are bi-polar and missed a dose of medication. Being truly serious not facetious as many of us here are on mood enhanceers like the rest of the world.

You are obviously a bright guy, but why is it important for you to prove to others that they are not? That's not so bright. We all need people.

Dan

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

this is exactly what I thought when reading the post title.
    Stern spells it in code 0011101001000011100010001001011110000... [] ROFL

Someone out there create a mod where when the knocker fires, the DMD explodes with binary code! That would be cool.

For some reason that reminds me of EMs. Interesting.

Dan

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-spell-the-sound-a-pinball-knocker-makes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.