11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by toddsvec
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coilcolors.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Kind of an oddball question that may not relate to a lot of people. I have thousands of coils, all in various boxes, trays, parts bins and tubs as I've bought them. What's the best way to sort and store? People ask me all the time for a coil and I go sit down in an area of my basement that is probably a 20 foot circle and I look... Usually with a beer.

I'd love an efficient way to sort & store these, but beyond sorting Bally-Williams-Gottlieb-????? I've always been kinda stuck. Any thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

I would start with organizing based on the labeling on the coil? Get wood posts and stack matching coils up. Throw matching coils into a box.

#3 11 years ago

I think I'd sort them based on the color of the coil wrapper. That's more aesthetically pleasing.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I think I'd sort them based on the color of the coil wrapper. That's more aesthetically pleasing.

Easiest way for me to find a coil I want is to order a new one from PBL. Then like a miracle I trip over the one I am looking for in one of a dozen places before it comes in but after I've paid for the new one.

#5 11 years ago

I think I would list a few lots on Ebay. Seriously if you have thousands of coils or even close to that, I would be hard pressed to think you could actually use all those?

Less is more. At least when it come to organizing 1000+ coils, lol

#6 11 years ago

^^^

yea, the first thought that came to my mind was "what is he going to do with all of those coils?"...

how about pegboard? you could put a boatload on a relatively small piece...

#7 11 years ago

Problem with organizing by coil color is a lot of different ones exist for the same type, would have been great if they all conformed to a standard:

coilcolors.JPGcoilcolors.JPG

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think I would list a few lots on Ebay. Seriously if you have thousands of coils or even close to that, I would be hard pressed to think you could actually use all those?
    Less is more. At least when it come to organizing 1000+ coils, lol

I do plan on listing some on eBay as some are for old oddball non pinball games, but that's only "I think so". 1000 may be a high estimate but it's certainly high hundreds. As for the reason I have so many, buying a box of coils at a show for $20 is a smart and easy thing to do when you go through and own as many games as I do and also run a web site (Big Daddy). One of the more common coils a 26-1200 I've had plenty of new ones that I've sold and even more used ones that I use quite often.

The whole wood post thing is something I've thought of but have a hard time figuring out what would make sense. Small thin boxes would be nice, or drawers so the coils are all on their side and I can read the number, but something like a pizza box is too weak when you fill it full of coils.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-sort-and-store-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.