(Topic ID: 31686)

How do you solder by yourself with only two hands?

By Jgel

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by HighSpeed1
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1482.jpg
    image.jpg
    tumblr_mb89ohn2J01rhyxjfo1_1280.jpg
    SolderingHands.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    HemostatCurved.gif
    IMG_0361.JPG

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

This has been a pain in the butt more than anything else while working on machines. Holding the iron, solder, wire and switch all in one hand does not work. I try to bend the wires, hold things between finger. How do you guys do this by yourself? Do any of you use the Multi-arm clip things to hold in place while working?

#2 7 years ago

Helping Hands.

#3 7 years ago

I've considered making a boom arm with a clamp on the ends, one to clamp (pressure clamp) to the side rail while the playfield is up, and another to hold the wire in place. Any one do something like this?

#4 7 years ago

Try these...

IMG_0361.JPG

#5 7 years ago

hemostats work well HemostatCurved.gif

#6 7 years ago

I try those all the time, and it's great, but holding my tokes close to my face doesn't help with soldering!

#7 7 years ago

2 Hemostats are my best extra hands

#8 7 years ago

I sometimes use the multi-arm clip holders but most of the time just an alligator clip or two will work.

#9 7 years ago

All the above methods are great. I find swearing to also be particularly helpful.

#10 7 years ago

Thats what I use. Always will be a pain in the ass to some degree but alligator clips help a lot.

#11 7 years ago

Under a playfield i usually try and wrap the wire through the hole on the lug. Gives a better physical connection that will resist breaking off later. That makes the wire stable and can solder with out a clip.

#12 7 years ago

It is easy, solder part , solder wire and then put together and heat.

Jim

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Under a playfield i usually try and wrap the wire through the hole on the lug. Gives a better physical connection that will resist breaking off later. That makes the wire stable and can solder with out a clip.

This is the proper way. Always ensure a strong physical connection before soldering, if possible. Take your time and do it right.

#14 7 years ago

Not all wires fit through the coil lugs.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The U.S. Military agrees with me on this: Do not "wrap" the wire around a lug. Go through with the wire and bend to no more than 90 degrees. This way, if the solder fails later on, a gentle tug on the wire will show you the problem. The solder is where the strength of the connection comes from.

#16 7 years ago

I don't bother with alligator clips, much. I usually get creative with finger dexterity, propping things against solid objects to get them in the right line, etc.

I was curious how people go about this when I was trying to solder a new VUK switch on TSPP, last night. The new switch didn't have the holes in the post, which made it particularly challenging with the limited amount of wire slack, and the cramped, awkward space.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I was curious how people go about this when I was trying to solder a new VUK switch on TSPP, last night. The new switch didn't have the holes in the post, which made it particularly challenging with the limited amount of wire slack, and the cramped, awkward space.

This is what I'm talking about. I would love to have alligator clips on each end of a firm bendable wire that I could adjust to hold things together.

#18 7 years ago

i've become quite good at guiding my solder at the point of connection with my teeth at times. just cut off a 5 inch piece or so. i've had enough fumes in the oil and gas industry that a lil solder doesn't bother me, compared to welding indoors without vents, cleaning out water trucks tanks used to haul crude oil, breathing natural gas, working inside a treater building, etc. etc. etc

you're going to die from cancer someday anyways.

#19 7 years ago

Plastic wire ties

#20 7 years ago

If you are trying to hold solder during this process then you are doing it wrong.
    Tin the wires and the switch. That takes care if the solder. Now you have iron in one hand, wire in other and switch should be resting or attached and guided still with your fingers of the hand that holds the wires.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i've become quite good at guiding my solder at the point of connection with my teeth at times. just cut off a 5 inch piece or so. i've had enough fumes in the oil and gas industry that a lil solder doesn't bother me, compared to welding indoors without vents, cleaning out water trucks tanks used to haul crude oil, breathing natural gas, working inside a treater building, etc. etc. etc
    you're going to die from cancer someday anyways.

I hope you are not using lead based solder. That is directly poisoning yourself if you are. Lead permeates into your pores and the mouth is like one giant pore.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I hope you are not using lead based solder

no i use lead based. i only do this once in a while if nobody is around to help. it's not what i'd recommend to do, but when i have to do it i do. i use my hemostat when i can, if i'm not working with boards or fragile parts.

haha, guess i shouldn't be recommending this to people that actually care about their health. i know i'll die someday, so i'm not too worried.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

this

#24 7 years ago

I did this with a harbor freight iron with a crappy tip . This is the old part.

IMAG0389.jpg

#25 7 years ago

Mine is a chicken/egg conundrum. I was going to go all Tony Stark and build a robot or two to help hold the parts while I solder. Unfortunately i had no one to help solder the parts to make the robot that could then help me solder.

#26 7 years ago

You only have two hands?

Weird world.

#28 7 years ago

Whenever I ask someone to lend a hand holding something, I typically find I would have been better off on my own.

Maybe my wife employs the same tactic I do when I'm asked to do laundry, do it like an idiot, and you'll never be asked to do it again..

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

no i use lead based. i only do this once in a while if nobody is around to help. it's not what i'd recommend to do, but when i have to do it i do. i use my hemostat when i can, if i'm not working with boards or fragile parts.
    haha, guess i shouldn't be recommending this to people that actually care about their health. i know i'll die someday, so i'm not too worried.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to crimp on lead split shot fishing weights with my teeth. People are hysterical about solder. I love it whenever someone links out to that pin site with the long ass list of ways solder is going to kill you and your family. That lead free stuff is crap, I refuse to use it. I guess everyone has something to paranoid about these days.

#30 7 years ago

If something needs to be held, figure out a way. Tape it to something, vice grips ( very lightly if it's a switch type thing ), fasten in place and then solder.

Lots of ways, just think on it a bit.

LTG : )

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to crimp on lead split shot fishing weights with my teeth. People are hysterical about solder. I love it whenever someone links out to that pin site with the long ass list of ways solder is going to kill you and your family. That lead free stuff is crap, I refuse to use it. I guess everyone has something to paranoid about these days.

Everything I've ever used to clean, repair, glue, whatever, has killed a rat in a lab somewhere.

We clearly need better rats.

And because of idiots, things like spray adhesives have vomit inducers. Doesn't stop the idiots. But sure makes working with those adhesives a lot more fun.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

This works great until you need to get 2 wires and diode all onto the same lug at the same time.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

This works great until you need to get 2 wires and diode all onto the same lug at the same time.

Solder the diode on first and then attach wires. Diodes can usually be bent to "hold" onto the lug. I too use a hemostat.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

You only have two hands?

Weird world.

He didn't grow up near a nuclear power plant. So he's more challenged than the rest of us.

#35 7 years ago

Lead solder is fine. Just wash your hands really well after soldering and it shouldn't be a problem. The fumes aren't bad for you. I believe the smoke you smell is the flux. The boiling point of lead is more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

#36 7 years ago

always solder the individual wires before soldering together. use flux to make it hold better... hold playfield up with whichever leg you dont want to balance on. drinking a beer while doing this is even more fun

#37 7 years ago

The smoke is flux, the same crud that gets on the iron if you don't clean it. I think lead can vaporize at around 1000f, but only a small amount, and that temp is still well above pinball repair applications.

Sometimes you just have to get creative. Hang the coil off some other wires, hold the solder with your pinky and thumb and the part with your other fingers...etc.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

No problem here ! I do have an advantage over most of you ! I have been soldering almost everyday for the last 28 years .

Jim

#39 7 years ago

If you are soldering two wires together for example melt some solder on to each wire (this is known as tinning the wires) then you can solder on to the other with no additional solder just use the soldering iron to melt them together.

#40 7 years ago

To quote the late, and very great, Bernie Mac...

"I'm Blessed."

0:28 seconds into the video ... (Language NSFW)

#41 7 years ago

For bench soldering I use this:

amazon.com link »

Not very heavy duty but it has come in handy during the few restorations I have done.

#42 7 years ago

Whats the problem?

SolderingHands.jpg

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

No problem here ! I do have an advantage over most of you ! I have been soldering almost everyday for the last 28 years .

I am about the same. I have been soldering since I built my first heathkit around 1987. It was a 8-10" little color TV that I asked for as a christmas present, because it could also be run on 12volts. We did a lot of travelling at the time, and that TV gave me something to do in the backseat. As we would cruise across the country, I always found it fun to try to tune into anything local.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Solder like NASA!

+1 for the applications that can use this approach (i.e., not applicable to soldering wire to lug).

I had see this before and the first thing that caught my eye was that the ends/turns were wrong in the illustration - the left end should be facing up and the right should be facing down when behind the wire.

#45 7 years ago

hold two wires in one hand... solder... suck up the pain while it cools.

That's how ive done it for the last 20 years

#46 7 years ago

Get some hermit crabs and have em hold the wire & solder while you gunner down.

#47 7 years ago

If soldering boards, get a PC board holder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+board+holder&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=e4c&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TFu5UJLYIo3D0AGK7oHoCg&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1054

I use a pair of special tweezers that have a slide pin to keep them closed with pressure when removing PC components.

#48 7 years ago

Adapt, overcome , improvise.......

tumblr_mb89ohn2J01rhyxjfo1_1280.jpg

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Adapt, overcome , improvise.......

lol!

#50 7 years ago

I made this out of a set of 'extra hands' from my old model railroading days.

image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 224.99
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 190.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 300.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    € 8.40
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside